Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 08:14 PM
Banned

Only poor people say that
Old 03-12-2020, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

Now after researching a bunch more, I’m starting to feel like I don’t want anything with a cvt transmission. Looks like it’s more or less expected for them to fail at or around 150-200k. I don’t like the idea of having to drop 5kish a few years down the road.

With that said I am keeping an open mind and am
test driving the 2020 Legacy,Accord and Camry tomorrow.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Sarnak

Many financial experts will suggest you either never buy a new vehicle, or you only buy new when your net worth exceeds a million dollars. That being said, we did buy new in 2012. There IS something very enjoyable about driving a vehicle in pristine condition right off the lot. However, it's mostly downhill from there. Before long the car feels 'used' because of your own contributions to the wear and tear, and rather than a few thousand dollars spent on an upside-down purchase, your a few dozens of thousands in the hole.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Many financial experts will suggest you either never buy a new vehicle, or you only buy new when your net worth exceeds a million dollars.
Bought a brand new truck at the end of 2002, net worth of about 1k and some old clothes.

Used it for 17 years. Knew the entire history of it. It was only in the shop the last two years I had it. One of the radiator hoses (original) had a leak and it ran hot once, warped the head. Original clutch, transmission. Only two brake jobs and 4 batteries.

If you plan on keeping it for a long time and treating it well then I don't see the problem. The car I have now is used and it looks like I am going to be spending a few K soon to fix another guys abuse.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now after researching a bunch more, I’m starting to feel like I don’t want anything with a cvt transmission. Looks like it’s more or less expected for them to fail at or around 150-200k. I don’t like the idea of having to drop 5kish a few years down the road.

With that said I am keeping an open mind and am
test driving the 2020 Legacy,Accord and Camry tomorrow.
Are you some sort of traveling sales rep or someone else who does an unusually large amount of driving? In normal use you're not making 200K in a "few years." Most folks rack up about 10-15K a year or so, with the length of work commute being the major variable. Hence if you're buying a new car with the expectation of using it for 200-250K then you may well be expecting to be driving it into the 2040's. That's a long time, longer than I've ever owned a car at least. If that's your timeframe, then in addition to the considerations above you want to look at things like the durability of the seats, interior materials, buttons, etc--all the little things that can be expected to start to wear out over time. Nobody wants to be driving a 180K car with a perfect engine but ratty interior with torn seats and falling headliner.

What kind of use are you subjecting the car to? If you ARE that traveling rep doing a lot of cross country freeway driving then 250K with normal maintenance is common enough. On the other hand a normal family car contending with children, stop-and-start suburban or city driving, brine salt in winter, and the general mishaps of daily living are doing good if they make it to 150K before being ready to be sent to the ferro-knacker.

You suggested you have children. If so--How old are they? It's hugely likely that even if YOU don't trash your car, one of THEM will once they're old enough to drive. When I was a teenager I utterly thrashed my dad's car before getting my own, and so did all my friends drive their own no less hard. Going airborne at 80 MPH, banging over railroad tracks at full speed, frequent full-throttle starts or hard stops, teenagers are as a class not known for prudent road behavior. Dad's car was left with failing suspension, a cracked leaking oil pan, out-of-camber tires, and crabby transmission before I completely wrecked it in a rollover when I was 18. It was four years old. He always bought new--he hadn't bought a used car since the 1940's, but in that case it did him no good because of factors (namely me) outside himself.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 03-12-2020 at 12:07 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Previous cars were used. Last car i bought was new, its lasted me 5 years and 170k miles so far. Just had to have the turbo replaced, probably pretty surprising it lasted that long. Hindsight I wish I bought a used accord or civic or something, but even used with 50k miles or something they're still I don't know, 14k or 15k in decent condition? Who knows what the person(s) before me did to the car though, or how good they were at maintaining it.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Buy a new Toyota camry, pay probably $300/month financed for 5 and never again have a concern about your vehicle til it turns ~175k miles.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hindsight I wish I bought a used accord or civic or something, but even used with 50k miles or something they're still I don't know, 14k or 15k in decent condition? Who knows what the person(s) before me did to the car though, or how good they were at maintaining it.
Currently rolling a 2013 civic SI (last year for the black interior before it got 2 fast 2 furious with colors). Specifically sought after that year.

The issue you run into with these cars is they are popular with young guys to mod and race. Currently having issues with the throwout bearing and probably the clutch.. I know for a fact it's not driver error on my part. Plus it looks like he might've tinkered with the engine, this is something I usually approve of but some guys are total hacks who don't give a fuck. At this point in my life I don't want any mods for my commuter car, less possibility of break down or going out on a cold morning and it not start.

It has 200hp, gets 32mpg which is poor mileage for a honda. It's due to the 6-speed manual transmission. The ratio is such that it will pull in any gear. 1-70mph is fun but highway cruises at 3k rpm.

I would've got the V6 2 door accord but I could not locate one with a manual, seem rare as hen teeth.

looks like this.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: I dislike fly-by-wire throttle. There is a slight lag and it fucked with my shift timing.
Last edited by Mblake81; 03-12-2020 at 01:24 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 01:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never buy a new car
buy something certified pre-owned if you're really concerned about 'used' cars, they generally come with a 1-2 year full warranty with the option to purchase a longer one. on top of the cushy warranty, you don't get the 15%+ depreciation hit in the first year.

real talk though, if you're looking at utilitarian cars like the Camry just buy a 10+ year old Accord, Camry, Corolla etc for cash and maintain it. regular oil changes and fluid checks are basically all you need to keep a Honda/Toyota running for 250k+ assuming important things like timing belt/water pump are changed at the correct times.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bought a brand new truck at the end of 2002, net worth of about 1k and some old clothes.

Used it for 17 years. Knew the entire history of it. It was only in the shop the last two years I had it. One of the radiator hoses (original) had a leak and it ran hot once, warped the head. Original clutch, transmission. Only two brake jobs and 4 batteries.

If you plan on keeping it for a long time and treating it well then I don't see the problem. The car I have now is used and it looks like I am going to be spending a few K soon to fix another guys abuse.
blake has a point in terms of control, but the truth is it's an odds/maths game and the maths favor those who buy used. buy used. the markup on new is a joke and new is for suckers.

-t. 1996 ford contour with 50k miles that hasn't seen a shop for years, $1200 after some flirtations
Last edited by Sibelia1; 03-12-2020 at 03:05 PM..
Closed Thread