Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Guild Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Default Final attempt to experience the end game content so I can end the Everquest!

Hello!!

I have a 60 Rogue and I want to experience killings gods and dragons! It’s the only thing in EQ that my casual ass has yet to experience in 20 years! I wanna make it happen!

I have tried numerous times over the years to join guilds and get social and make friends to make this dream come true.... and I’ve failed miserably.
I’m social and friendly enough in a day to day pug style kinda way, but seem to lack the ability or desire to make long term pals.

I want to move on from Everquest and focus on my family and other hobbies and end this chapter of my life, but I can’t do it without seeing the final bosses and knowing I saw and experienced everything.

Is joining a guild the only way? Or can I mercenary myself up for hire to the server just to see content and stab big things? I don’t care about loot or dkp, I just want the experience of the kill.

I thought about doing Aradune for the scheduled raids and agents of change but I don’t think I can stomach leveling another character up. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how I can experience the content I’m after without a guild? Any advice or suggestions to experience these encounters would be excellent and very appreciated!

Mobs or zones I’ve never done and I’m looking to experience:
-Lord Nagafen (49 shaman I can bring)
-Noble Dojorn
-Gorenaire
-Severilous
-Trakanon
-Cazic Thule
-Maestro of Rancor
-Klandicar
-Innoruuk
-Telendor
-Zlandicar
-Dragon Necropolis
-King Tormax
-AoW
-Tunare
-Lord Yelinak
-Velketor the Sorcerer
-Wuoshi
-Sontalak
-Western Wastes dragons
-Temple of Veeshan
-Plane of Mischief

I think I’m too casual to get a vp or sleepers key so I’m ok with not experiencing those two zones if I must.

Thanks everyone!

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 05-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

You can contact an officer of a guild who is preparing to raid one of these targets and ask them if you can be a guest at their raid. I've done this a few times with success. Reiterating the fact that I wasn't interested in loot or dkp and that I just wanted to help and have fun.

If they allow you, be friendly and attempt to get into a group. Mingle with the group you're in always trying to give 100% of your A game. If you get killed it may be tricky to get a rez but that's where mingling with that group can save your rear. They can guild msg to get a cleric to rez you.

You may be amazed how far not caring about loot can get you on p99. At one point I was attending several different guilds raids daily, I just never got loot but experienced tons of content. Plus I learned a lot about myself and different guilds styles, strategies and tactics.
One of my favorite people on P99 opened my eyes to this possibility.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 05-26-2020 at 05:35 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Baler! This is brilliant! Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-26-2020, 07:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I have tried numerous times over the years to join guilds and get social and make friends to make this dream come true.... and I’ve failed miserably.
I’m social and friendly enough in a day to day pug style kinda way, but seem to lack the ability or desire to make long term pals.
Could you clarify "failed miserably"?

I've seen anti-social and not friendly people do ok in guilds [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm not saying they're popular (everyone prefers the friendly/sociable type), but my point is that the bar for not getting kicked out of a guild is pretty low. If you can do your "job" in the game, don't shout out offensive slurs repeatedly in guild chat, and keep your out-of-raid time from becoming a Rant and/or Flame, you'll probably do ok in most guilds.

I guess really what I'm asking is: do you not want to be in a guild, and if so why not?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could you clarify "failed miserably"?

I've seen anti-social and not friendly people do ok in guilds [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm not saying they're popular (everyone prefers the friendly/sociable type), but my point is that the bar for not getting kicked out of a guild is pretty low. If you can do your "job" in the game, don't shout out offensive slurs repeatedly in guild chat, and keep your out-of-raid time from becoming a Rant and/or Flame, you'll probably do ok in most guilds.

I guess really what I'm asking is: do you not want to be in a guild, and if so why not?

By failed miserably I mean I’ve not found a crew that felt like a good fit for me. I totally think it’s me and not any guilds fault. When I was younger I was interested in making friends and getting to know different people from all around the globe and tbh it was a key reason EQ hooked me. Now that I’m older I’ll freely admit I’m not really interested in getting to know anyone or making friends....and it clearly shows lol! So when I join a guild I’m thrown into a social setting I don’t really care to be involved in outside of the ability to raid and then it kinda feels like going to a party or social gathering IRL where you feel so out of place, uncomfortable and awkward you just show yourself to the door.

Since 2013 I’ve applied and played trial member with 6 or 7 guilds and ended up leaving on my own after a few weeks or maybe a month max. After typing this all out I think I actually strongly dislike the raid aspect of eq, and that’s why I’ve neglected to do it all these years. With my interest in Everquest and gaming in general waning I feel like this year is probably my last shot to try and experience these encounters and I’m trying to get creative to see if I can get it to happen.

Last edited by Evia; 05-26-2020 at 08:36 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By failed miserably I mean I’ve not found a crew that felt like a good fit for me. When I was younger I was interested in making friends and getting to know different people from all around the globe and tbh it was a key reason EQ hooked me. Now that I’m older I’ll freely admit I’m not really interested in getting to know anyone or making friends....and it clearly shows lol! So when I join a guild I’m thrown into a social setting I don’t really care to be involved in outside of the ability to raid and then it kinda feels like going to a party or social gathering IRL where you feel so out of place, uncomfortable and awkward you just show yourself to the door.

Since 2013 I’ve applied and played trial member with 6 or 7 guilds and ended up leaving on my own after a few weeks or maybe a month max. After typing this all out I think I actually strongly dislike the raid aspect of eq, and that’s why I’ve neglected to do it all these years. With my interest in Everquest and gaming in general waning I feel like this year is probably my last shot to try and experience these encounters and I’m trying to get creative to see if I can get it to happen.
I keep hearing "make friends", and it makes me think you have misaligned expectations. I see guilds as more like an after work sports team: yes you have to be able to tolerate the people on your team, but aside from that you don't have to be friends or even see them off the field. As long as you can tolerate them, you can still get the exercise and enjoyment of getting to play a sport one night a week.

And who knows, maybe a few specific people on that team will actually be someone you click with? But if so that's just a bonus.

Perhaps if you had more of that kind of mindset you might be able to enjoy guilds/raiding better?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-26-2020 at 08:41 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 08:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I keep hearing "make friends", and it makes me think you have misaligned expectations. I see guilds as more like an after work sports team: yes you have to be able to tolerate the people on your team, but aside from that you don't have to be friends or even see them off the field. As long as you can tolerate them, you can still get the exercise and enjoyment of getting to play soccer one night a week.

And who knows, maybe a few specific people on that team will actually be someone you click with? But if so that's just a bonus.

Perhaps if you had more of that kind of mindset you might be able to enjoy guilds/raiding better?
Perhaps your right. Im definitely the personality type that’s either all in or all out. So it’s very possible I am putting the expectation on myself to be the ultimate “guildy” and requiring myself to be fully engaged and active with the majority of members And thus making the idea of joining a guild feel harder and more challenging than it should have to be.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perhaps your right. Im definitely the personality type that’s either all in or all out. So it’s very possible I am putting the expectation on myself to be the ultimate “guildy” and requiring myself to be fully engaged and active with the majority of members And thus making the idea of joining a guild feel harder and more challenging than it should have to be.
Well, I don't in any way mean to criticize that ... except if it prevents you from having fun. But yeah, it absolutely does seem like you might have more fun if you didn't try to be the "ultimate guildy" ... and in fact I'd almost advocate for the opposite.

Personally I worried that guilds would require me to be selfless, but I came to realize that guilds are actually all about the opposite: they're about being selfish ... and it's a good thing. DKP (the way most guilds measure your participation) is earned when you help the guild do something, but it's also the way you "buy" the phat lewtz. What this means is that every guild member, just by selfishly wanting to get cool items for their character, is incentivized to work together as a team to get those cool items for its members.

So if you do decide to give a guild a chance again (and personally I'd recommend a "mid-tier" raiding guild, just because I had a great experience starting that way), I'd really do it for you. But again, the nature of the beast is not that it makes a ton of strangers playing a game friends (though that may well happen to some) ... it's about channeling everyone's selfish interests to do something cool as a group (or more generally to let a bunch of people have fun playing an ancient computer game together).

Old 05-27-2020, 04:52 AM
Sarnak

sign up with lighthouse and attend raids! Earn points, advance your toon, make friends along the way. No guild required.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:15 AM
Sarnak

Going to want to join Riot if you want to kill most of those mobs.
Closed Thread