Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone else will most likely use a trading area in game.
Hey, what do you know. Classic EverQuest.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep. Pretty much. The 15(?)% of the population that uses the forums and the 1% that uses IRC will use it for auction. Everyone else will most likely use a trading area in game.

Oh no the horror :P
Assumption.
Project Manager

Yep. I strive to put right.. what once went wrong :P Where are my living shields?
Banned

I really don't care how helpful global chat is to new players, or to anyone else.

This is a supposed to be a classic server. This is supposed to be THE classic server. Global chat is not supposed to exist in classic. There is not supposed to be anything easy or convenient about classic. We're supposed to travel from zone to zone to find a group. We're supposed to congregate in a common zone for trading purposes. We're SUPPOSED to waste the trip to LGuk to find all the camps are taken.

If it's an easy or convenient experience you're looking for, get off P99, go play on someone's bugged non-legit server, or better yet, go play live.

And wow, that came off FAR more dickish than I meant for it to, but by God I stand by it. It's the principle of the thing, to me. The people who are championing serverwide chat are the same ones that habitually play video games with cheat codes, that's all I'm saying :P
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Kobold

^That is also true.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
The people who are championing serverwide chat are the same ones that habitually play video games with cheat codes, that's all I'm saying
Ad hominem is logical, right?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Fire Giant

i request to remove my NO vote!
i watched some old EQ movies and remembered how fun EC used to be.. i want it back!!!

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Fire Giant

People would have to meet somewhere to from groups, trade, socialize, they sure as hell can't do it in a non existant world channel, it will have to happen somewhere
Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Orc

Well, if you removed it then it will force people to hang out in EC or freeport. that would add some classic element.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Kobold

Get rid of it. We've all been suckling the global channel teat long enough, the milks gone bad.

I am willing to bet upwards of 99% of the people who play on this server have played Everquest before. Those who haven't were likely brought onto the server by friends who can help them get started up. I am sick of hearing the argument that there are all these sad helpless nooblets who will lose their corpses to firebeetles and never come back again because they can't tell every single person on the server about it. We all started fresh at some point and we made it. It's not a complicated game, especially at level 1. We boast about how strong and helpful our server community is, but the minute someone mentions global OOC being removed a big argument ensues about how disastrously difficult starting a new character will be. Trust me, I've played with enough shitty 40+ people to tell you that these morons who apparently can't be counted on to find their level 1 spells are in fact leveling.

I played a lot of EQ and I still have tons of questions about new classes and places I'm trying out. If I am a necromancer and I can't find my level 20 pet, I /tell a necromancer and they promptly inform me it's in Grobb. There is a lot of help if you actually talk to people rather than tossing a question into a channel where you don't even look at names anymore.

Global OOC was intended to foster the sense of community on a server which was expected to have maybe 150 people on it at peak time. It has since turned into an overcrowded barrens chat with the occasional message of unkempt Mexican testicles being shoved in your mouth with 20 people shouting "And I love it!" after. It's starting to make Flaming Gaze guild chat look like a republican convention.

For those who say turn off global channels if we don't like it, it doesn't work. If these were chat channels like Level 1-20, Druid, or whatever else they have now it wouldn't be a problem. But you can't have an integral part of the game included in the shit-fest that is global channels and then tell people to turn it off if they don't like it. It's like implementing PoK and telling people if they don't like it they can still use the boat. I also am astounded that people are actually whining that they would have to run to Neriak or NFP from EC to go to the bank, holy shit...

Seriously, when these lame global channels are finally removed and everyone is done foaming at the mouth like crack addicts cut off from their junk, we'll all gather in the EC tunnel and laugh,talk, trade and train Sargeant Slate all the while wondering why we hung onto those stupid channels for so long.
Closed Thread