Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 08:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"This" classic version is broken, not the original classic. Its been said a million times- enchanter was not the terminator killing machines back during live pre PoP they are here.

@OP it was a balance thing. CC was a real thing and you didnt make a group without someone doing it
Enchanter charmed pet was DEFINITELY OP as hell in live. In true classic days, I ran with a trio - Ranger, Enchanter, Shaman. The Enchanter charmed pet damage was as unreal then as it is now. I was the Ranger of all things (we were a strange team, but didn’t know any better back then about penalties, optimum trio classes etc.). But without a doubt, the enchanter would just wreck fucking house with his pet. No class even comes close for MANY expansions down the road.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Kobold

Mages get root, it is called an earth pet, next.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"This" classic version is broken, not the original classic. Its been said a million times- enchanter was not the terminator killing machines back during live pre PoP they are here.

@OP it was a balance thing. CC was a real thing and you didnt make a group without someone doing it
There were tons of posts about this several months back where these types of claims were found to be untrue. Next.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:37 PM
Former Guide

I think they were thinking of balance in truth, but stopped with just the mage in this regard. I seem to remember a good dev interview about mages. Root should have been limited to druid / shaman imo.

What I also would have loved to see for balance:
-Clarity to wizards only
-Slow formula to be revisited (is too OP), requires reagent
-When charm breaks the spell emits an AoE that stuns PCs (or maybe mob is raged, immune to spells for 10secs on break)
-No pets in any form accept weapons or items
-No recharging
-Snare as Ranger only, requires reagent
-Don't go waaaaay overboard come Kunark with melee weapon ratios
-No mend for monks
-FD has 10min cooldown, also has max duration
-Backstab should have a general ceiling and not tied to weapon strength (evade as a cooldown ability similar to FD)
-more "cursed" items please (i.e. great weapon ratio but proc strips you of a buff or something like that)
-more "cursed" buffs while we're at it (top level haste also drains down HP lich style)
-more holy / unholy sword options for knight classes, very proc / situational based

Ahhh to dream...

Still was hella fun playing launch day, no one cared about the above, just went off to explore a new world and have adventure.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanFish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What strengths? Mages are basically just weaker necromancers/enchanters.
That's ridiculous, mage pets can shred necro pets. Your pet is steady dps, which a lot of groups crave and look for in a rogue/monk - not hard to send that in, and on top of that your nukes may not be wizard nukes but they're close.

You might lack CC without an earth pet locking down an add, but if you've got any flavor of priest/healer who isnt a window licker they can root in an enchanter's place.

I think the point I was making about grouping up should be reiterated, the game wasn't designed for 13 classes to be able to go on solo adventures - its a social game where everyone brings something to the table. If everyone uses their toolkit as best they can, that'll maximize chances of survival in a crisis situation.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderfury [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think they were thinking of balance in truth, but stopped with just the mage in this regard. I seem to remember a good dev interview about mages. Root should have been limited to druid / shaman imo.

What I also would have loved to see for balance:
-Clarity to wizards only
-Slow formula to be revisited (is too OP), requires reagent
-When charm breaks the spell emits an AoE that stuns PCs (or maybe mob is raged, immune to spells for 10secs on break)
-No pets in any form accept weapons or items
-No recharging
-Snare as Ranger only, requires reagent
-Don't go waaaaay overboard come Kunark with melee weapon ratios
-No mend for monks
-FD has 10min cooldown, also has max duration
-Backstab should have a general ceiling and not tied to weapon strength (evade as a cooldown ability similar to FD)
-more "cursed" items please (i.e. great weapon ratio but proc strips you of a buff or something like that)
-more "cursed" buffs while we're at it (top level haste also drains down HP lich style)
-more holy / unholy sword options for knight classes, very proc / situational based

Ahhh to dream...

Still was hella fun playing launch day, no one cared about the above, just went off to explore a new world and have adventure.
I like some of that. I always thought it was nonsensical that monks get feign death..

thats totally something a rogue would do.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:05 AM
Sarnak

Original EQ devs didn't have a clue, and its more luck then anything that the game turned out as it did.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Original EQ devs didn't have a clue
Every class found a home though, WoW had half the classes and group comps were the same old shit a lot of the time.

EQ keeps it interesting, some of the best groups are of 3+ classes who aren't supposed to be well suited but the group finds a way to make it work. Rogues pulling, rangers tanking, druid/paladin working together on heals, wizards actually getting some group time... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

A lot of folks dont realize that paladins get the big dick heals too its just no specialization. The mana pool on wisdom isnt bad either
Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like some of that. I always thought it was nonsensical that monks get feign death..

thats totally something a rogue would do.

Funny, I always thought it would have been a great ranger ability. Fooling bears and such.