Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Banned

I would like to comment about the OP though, I think design wise building an MMORPG world that is based off of minecraft server management and controlled by players is a fucking GOLD MINE and this game will be quite successful if it doesn't totally blow.

I mean we're on the crux of someone finally building a GM run d&d style game story simulator here.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would like to comment about the OP though, I think design wise building an MMORPG world that is based off of minecraft server management and controlled by players is a fucking GOLD MINE and this game will be quite successful if it doesn't totally blow.

I mean we're on the crux of someone finally building a GM run d&d style game story simulator here.
I think it's a great idea - the rest of the mechanics being set in stone? Not so much.

I was expecting something like Neverwinter and this just reeks of player-controlled dungeons from EQ2.

There's a limited amount of stuff you can do without a scripting language. If all of that backend stuff gets released to modders/serverops, I can see this being a big hit.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 01-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Banned

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this game will fail, but the spirit will be remade by someone eventually and it will be huge.

Id wager, server managament is going to be a big part of the next generation of online games.

I mean imagine playing a game like No Mans Sky but every planet is a player crated/managed server, you land there and the laws of physics that that manager made is the laws that you have to get used to on that planet.

Im sure in minecaft you could build some pretty sweet D&D campaigns, I dont know because I don't play it

And yes Neverwinter I think was ahead of its time on one hand, but still too complex on the other hand.

Gamers just dont want to learn the tools it takes to basically be a senior game designer at a tripple A studio, so game-a-fying the development process is a big part of the concept being successful, but is also a hurdle that kills most of these types of games.

Mario Maker is a great example of a user friendly level creator, but its also luckily limited by its simplistic side scrolling gameplay.. but smart devs can run with the stuff it proves and adapt it to open world fantasy rpgs pretty easily.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnamazing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My favorite rpg has no graphics. But I am the most creative and imaginative person on all of p99, with spider as the second as my #1 fan boy. So it makes sense, given our superior minds, we don't rely on graphics to have fun
EDIT:Conversation starting to be on topic so will retract my flaming of Failbus
Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
calling those graphics Dragon warrior is an affront to Dragon warrior.
This game reminds me of Xanadu. I love that they managed to hire Gimli to create their Worlds. Lol
Old 01-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This game reminds me of Xanadu. I love that they managed to hire Gimli to create their Worlds. Lol
haha im not to familiar with this game, Xanadu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcQpec98nCA is this it?

For a second I thought you meant Faxanadu, which is an awesome nes game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8P5KhepWIE
Old 01-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Banned

dead. lol

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1474916
Old 01-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:

Id wager, server managament is going to be a big part of the next generation of online games.
Can get behind this, I think there might even be a whole new job market coming out of this idea for some dedicated neckbeards out there. Player-client interaction needs to go beyond scripted AI encounters in online gaming experiences if you want to do anything other than more of the same.

Might still be a ways out but I can guarantee the first company to have a staff of professional gamers on board will blow any other game in the status quo out of the water.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can get behind this, I think there might even be a whole new job market coming out of this idea for some dedicated neckbeards out there. Player-client interaction needs to go beyond scripted AI encounters in online gaming experiences if you want to do anything other than more of the same.

Might still be a ways out but I can guarantee the first company to have a staff of professional gamers on board will blow any other game in the status quo out of the water.
would be interesting to log in on a scheduled night to play a player run d&d like campaign.. even if you had to pay to join that server.

could be reeeeal interesting, I think you got a golden idea on your hands there buddy. A golden money printing idea.
Closed Thread