Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Your kelethin work is greatly appreciated.

I like the limitations of the 90s engine environment. Would love to explore a modern game designed in the old style with detailed pixels.

Modern games have too much going on, are visually noisy, architecturally simple, overly linear. "loot tubes" with lots of shiny rocks.

Runneye, Sola, guK > deadmines, eternal palace...
Old 02-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The game's art suffers severely from the limitations imposed by the technological realities of its mid/late 90's era
I doubt a new version would exceed it, in fact it might be the reverse.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like the limitations of the 90s engine environment. Would love to explore a modern game designed in the old style with detailed pixels.

Modern games have too much going on, are visually noisy, architecturally simple, overly linear. "loot tubes" with lots of shiny rocks.
What is this thing I see in so many new games with the graphics that have a plastic like quality. I have circled some examples in this EQNext screenshot.

No dungeons and dragons here but you did get a parkour Lion-O character that make the redditors holla.

Last edited by Mblake81; 02-10-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That looks so amazing, like a trailer for EverQuest 3. Please do the following, if it's not too much trouble:

1. Quit your day job

2. Rename this to "Calathin" (to avoid being sued)

3. Publish it as a zone in the new game you then build and release, with a completely unique and original name: OngoingQuest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually I am currently in between jobs which is why I had the time to really work on it again. My previous job kept me super busy.

I also have a VRChat version that is still in work in progress:
https://vrchat.com/home/launch?world...e-681a124cb268
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is this thing I see in so many new games with the graphics that have a plastic like quality. I have circled some examples in this EQNext screenshot.

No dungeons and dragons here but you did get a parkour Lion-O character that make the redditors holla. (My generation, the 30 somethings that grew up with some of the best games, became so lame and crave even lamer things.)

I wasn't big on the cartoony EQNext style, at all. I wanted to keep the textures more realistic, with normal maps, specularity, metallic, things like that.

My goal is to eventually create the entirety of Greater Faydark re-imagined. Or if i get a bit exhausted by it, I also really wanted to do East Karana as well.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

I think it's bump maps, uv, normal maps that make stuff plastic-ish. It's supposed to give 2D textures depth, 3D detail, & lighting. I really personally find it gimmicky. That & the whole selection glow, quest objectives highlight thing.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewybunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wasn't big on the cartoony EQNext style, at all. I wanted to keep the textures more realistic, with normal maps, specularity, metallic, things like that.

My goal is to eventually create the entirety of Greater Faydark re-imagined. Or if i get a bit exhausted by it, I also really wanted to do East Karana as well.
So that was made for VRChat? I clicked the link. Seen something at the bottom that caught my eye. Got hit with a computer visual nostalgia that I can't put my finger on.

Edit: Where will Garrett enter to steal the loot?
Last edited by Mblake81; 02-10-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So that was made for VRChat? I clicked the link. Seen something at the bottom that caught my eye. Got hit with a computer visual nostalgia that I can't put my finger on.

Edit: Where will Garrett enter to steal the loot?
Originally I did it as a fun personal project, to add to my portfolio, but about a year ago I discovered that lo-and-behold VRChat was made with Unity (the engine I am most familiar with, and work the most with), and figured I'd give it a shot. But due to my overwhelmingly difficult work schedule this past year I didn't have much of time to really delve into it. Sometime in January I left my job (they went a different direction and my position became kind of obsolete) and while I am in search of a new one I figured I'd give this a shot.

I have a version for VRChat that is currently public, but I am still working on it, I would like to eventually do the entire Greater Faydark in this manner. Although, with significant liberty to the zone, such as adding a wood elf village or two to the more "empty areas" to kind of give it a more realistic setting. I thought it would be neat to make the area near Crushbone more desolate, destroyed, with a lot of tree stumps (as if the Orcs were tearing down the trees) And make the area leading to Butcherblock, hilly, cragy, and gradually going upwards.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:02 PM
Banned

the plastic like textures are what we got from wow, they run smooth and look good.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsham [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the plastic like textures are what we got from wow, they run smooth and look good.
Hard Pass.

Whos alt btw?
Closed Thread