Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Kobold

Default How gear dependent is the Paladin compared to other tanks?

Hiya, new player here!

I started a shammy and got him to 19, then a couple of days ago i decided to have a tank as well, as sitting on my bum waiting for mana can be boring. First made a warrior to and leveled him to 6 in a couple of hours, someone gave me a Sword of Skyfire!

But after reading (and also remembering myself from waaay back in live) all about how warriors need uber expensive gear to keep aggro I deleted him and created a pally instead. I always wanted to be Prince Charming anyway. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I am now level 8, soon to get spells, have banded legs and mail, was gifted a werewolf cloak and bone armplates (love P99 older players!) for some extra nice STR.

Will this be enough for a while, considering i can buff my ac and heal? I was hoping I can play this class and have tank-fun without later getting ditched from groups for not having 1000's of plats worth of esoteric gear?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Fire Giant

Both of the Knight classes (Paladin, Shadow Knight) are significantly less gear-dependent than Warriors. That is because, unlike Warriors, we do not depend on item proccing weapons to generate aggro. A Paladin already has one of the most effective aggro management spells in the game, Flash of Light, which is attained at level 9 for only about 3 silver.

I wouldn't worry about items. Banded and a Sword of Skyfire are far better items than many of us had while leveling up, and more than sufficient for a new player. Just get your 5AC +55 HP rings as soon as possible. Those are 100% essential.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Planar Protector

As Sage said, Paladins are far less gear dependent than warriors because of our spells. As a Paladin you can leave auto attack off and maintain aggro on multiple targets while spot healing group mates. Just make sure that when you cast flash of light someone is within melee range of the mob or it will run off like it is feared and remain buggy for duration of the rebuff even if you get within range.

For solo, you'll want to pick up some str items in your 40's because dps really starts to hurt with the skill caps. Otherwise you will have no problems meeting ac/hp needs as you level. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Kobold

Thanks for the advice! This sounds promising indeed!!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

Somewhat disagree with the expense. Initially it's the same gear list: 5/55 rings, banded and/or the cheaper pieces of kunark class plate set, and a 200pp weapon.

That will last you quite a while. A paladin doesn't really need anything else to improve its tanking, just quality of life gear (clicky daring helm) and a better dps weapon if you want to feel slightly less gimped.

A warrior starts off as a pretty shitty tank in the same gear, but, and this is important, nobody expects you to be any better than that. If they're dumb enough to bring you instead of a knight, they'll appreciate you for not bringing a hybrid exp penalty. So is it that expensive to get to respectable hate output as a warrior? You'll want some worn haste, but that'll only increase your white damage threat not your proc threat. Your proc threat can actually come really cheap, at least if this is accurate: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL...FEendhdWs/edit

2x scorpikis claw impaler (or skean offhand) and some basic dex gear isn't very expensive by the time you're expected to do decent threat. And by the time expectations begin to rise, you should have access to planar gear.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Fire Giant

What are the names of your characters Lorian?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:49 AM
Kobold

Pally gear is cheaper but you require just as much of it as warriors do - the different weapon procs. You dont want to be a high aggro paper tank.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are the names of your characters Lorian?
Lorian lv 11 Human Paladin
Hravn lv21 Barbarian Shaman

I am focusing on playing Hravn until I can afford a set of plate and 5/55 rings for Lorian. As the above post said, I dont want to be a paper tank! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

A level 11 in banded is not a paper tank, lol, he's a level 11. Not that rings and plate hurt, they're very nice actually, but good lord it is not necessary to be twinked to the high heavens to play this game. I do realize that this server is full of morons who can't play worth a damn and therefore must at all times utterly overpower the content, but that doesn't mean you have to become one of them.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

more like how expensive is the paladin to gear vs other tanks

for groups?

much cheaper and more bang 4 buck esp at early lvls

for raids?

completely doable in Kunark minus like Overseer of Air

for most Velious "good" targets?

naw
Closed Thread