Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not to hijack but what 3rd class would be ideal for a trio of Necro/Shaman/???
King camp is one of the harder camps in the game, so people generally want an optimized group:

1) Solid tank (60 War/Shd/Pal)
2) Healer (60 Cleric)
3) Slower (60 Shaman, with Torpor for backup healing)
4) Puller (60 Monk, though I have seen a skilled Bard pull)
5) CC (60 Enchanter)
6) DPS (the one "not picky" slot)

If you're trying to build an optimal trio a good enough monk might be able to tank and pull, a Torpor Shaman can heal and slow (I've done it, but it's riskier), and an Enchanter with a pet can CC while adding some pretty solid DPS.

If you're trying to do a Shm/Nec/? trio the Shaman needs Torpor, the Necro needs to learn how to pull, and you need an Enchanter. You'll have to get creative and use an Enchanter pet as a tank.

Or you'll need a Bard; a really good one can pull and CC and maybe even tank. Or a good monk could pull and tank, but then the Necro will need to do root CC and everyone will have to be careful not to damage anything except the main mob (or else they'll summon and root CC won't work).

I'm not guaranteeing that Shm/Nec/Enc or Shm/Nec/Bard or Shm/Nec/Monk can do it, but I'd bet with the right people behind them it could work. And on the plus side if you wipe and don't mind using soul gems the Necro should be helpful in recovery. Or, if the Shaman has his FD ring from Sky, and you have a Monk as the third, your whole group could Feign Death if things go south.

There might be other class combos that work too, but they key thing is you need all the roles I described filled, at least in some half-assed way. And the more half-assed it is, the riskier the whole thing gets, which means that pretty much any trio, even an optimal one, is playing with fire.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-02-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Old 11-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're trying to build an optimal trio a good enough monk might be able to tank and pull, a Torpor Shaman can heal and slow (I've done it, but it's riskier)
In my experience the main risk in using a Shaman healer in that camp is in dealing with puller deaths, as they do happen down there given the fair population of spellcasters. The combat healing itself isn't too big a deal. Charmed pets breaking at inopportune times is probably the second leading cause of death. Necromancer is therefore nice for EE-based rez if you don't mind the associated expense. Monk tanks should come prepared with aggro click items, as repeated slow resists are not uncommon and monk melee by itself will not outaggro a Shaman spamming slow. I recollect one occasion on my Shadow Knight where, even with Tash and Malo on, snare resisted so many times in a row it ran me completely out of mana without ever landing.

Monk/Shaman and Shadow Knight/Shaman both used to duo the Spore King fairly regularly during the days of sneak and invisibility pulling. Duos or trios were also common when groups could hang out at the bottom of the little pond in there. I don't think a trio has sufficient damage potential to reliably hold the zoneout room (and runners will be a problem besides), and tube room pulls are problematic at best given current pulling conditions. I'll chalk my opinion in as concurring with the others: Given sufficient click items, you could probably duo it with the given duo (if for no other reason than to say you did) but it'll be enough of a hassle that it doesn't seem very practical for a regular mode of operation.

Danth
Old 11-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

The fight itself would or should be easily doable in a vacuum if the necro and shaman had all relevant important spells and played well. The hard part about king isn’t the mob though - it’s the camp. I’ve been in plenty of well geared full balanced groups that struggled due to bad variables ranging from a not snared mob running just a little to far ... a mob falling through the wall ... unfortunate gate ... an inexperienced monk puller ... an experienced puller who got super unlucky ... you name it.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Closed Thread