Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Fire Giant

Default Necro leveling best balance of XP and Plat? 39+

Thanks for all of the advice this forum has provided to leveling necro's, tons of great camps and information. I took your advice and went from 35 to 39 in Kaesora, charming the library ramp. Great learning experience as far as charming strategies and techniques. The XP is out of control but the plat is pretty mediocre. I thought maybe exploring deeper in the dungeon to try to find a different room to camp for money, but I only see one item that really sells for alot of plat and it's off Xalgoz.

I have looted mostly fine steel, some runes/words/pages, and the occasional truesilver item ( I think I have looted 2 in 4 levels) that sell good. When I dinged 39, I still didn't have much plat, I went and got my spells and bought a 5ac55hp ring because I had a little leftover cash finally.

I've previously been leveling in super high ZEM/XP areas only and not focusing on cash camps. I feel like as I continue into the 40s I am going to be having plat problems if I don't find alternative places to level that supplement some platinum. I think Spectres is probably a good place but it's always camps. I managed to camp them one time and it was decent plat and XP. I did Hill Giants for awhile one day as well. I tried Oggok guards but the plat really isn't that great and the XP is just OK.

Should I just stay in Kaesora and level faster to camp something harder for more plat down the road? Or is there some good balance I might find somewhere? I was thinking maybe there is a better place in Kaesora to camp that isn't around library that has undead/better loots.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Fire Giant

I’m assuming you are familiar with Sesserdrix’ fantastic guide. If not then definitely check it out.

At around 40-45 I’d be soloing spectres in The Feerrott. Yeah they’re often camped but it’s worth it. From memory the exp is very good and you’ll rake in probably around 700-1k plat pr level looting Scythes and medium gems. You can ding 49 but the exp are not that impressive after 45 imo.

At around 51-53 you can solo guards in Felwithe and have lowbies in gfay come vendor for you for a donation. That’s very nice plat.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Banned

I did Spectres a lot.

You'd think they were perma camped, but oddly enough, you can claim a few spawns pretty easily.

At least I did. Maybe I had good luck.

If they were camped, I tried picking off a few Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains (which are nearly always camped and filled with drama).

I would travel between HGs in Rathe, Specs in Feerott, and Specs/HGs in Oasis.

Something would eventually open up in around 30 mins, worst case scenario.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:45 PM
Sarnak

I'm a big fan of killing guards myself, and even if they don't drop high plat items, they always drop a FS weapon or more. FP guards might be tough until 44+, but they're quite good until 51 if you find them uncamped. I particularly liked killing the dock guards on my necro cause I could sell their weapons right in that first building in skelly form, and with invis+wall trick you can bank in NFP.

Felwithe is a super common spot for Necros to go after that, so you might find it overcrowded, but it's good, steady xp, and the guards always drop at 20p weapon +.

At the same time, you shouldn't underestimate a steady stream of FS. It's annoying to deal with the weight, but reliable vendor trash can sometimes/often be a higher source of plat than the camps that have items to sell to players, since the mob might not spawn, might not drop the item, and you might not find someone to buy it for the price you want and in the time you'd like. This, of course, changes as you camp better and better items, but I think it's generally true of most things you'd find while leveling.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Kill halfling guards and you'll never be broke again. I was making about 600pp an hour doing misty guards. I also did rivervale guards too every time I went to sell spears. You can sell to a merchant through the window on the top of fools gold. You must be in a Skelly form though. I found binding myself on the roof, and gating every time my pack was full was the easiest. Once I sold all my spears, I would run through rivervale and kill every guard, staying away from the Druid side of rivervale of course. There's about another 13 spears you can grab from town guards. The rivervale guards are on a much longer timer though, so that's why you'll want to run back to the wall in misty thicket and repeat the process. Don't loot shields or rings, it's a waste of space

The spears are heavy, so by the time you are half full, you will be walking real slow. Having weight reduction bags helps, but the good ones aren't cheap.

As a necro you don't really need PP anyway. I was so rich playing my necro I constantly had a moderate amount of plat and really not much of a need for it. Once I switched to a monk, and twinking him I definitely felt broke again haha.

Lastly. Buy sow pots as a necro. Jboots aren't worth the initial investment and you can pick up sow pots, 10 for 100pp. Also, jboots are stuck on just one character.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kill halfling guards and you'll never be broke again. I was making about 600pp an hour doing misty guards. I also did rivervale guards too every time I went to sell spears. You can sell to a merchant through the window on the top of fools gold. You must be in a Skelly form though. I found binding myself on the roof, and gating every time my pack was full was the easiest. Once I sold all my spears, I would run through rivervale and kill every guard, staying away from the Druid side of rivervale of course. There's about another 13 spears you can grab from town guards. The rivervale guards are on a much longer timer though, so that's why you'll want to run back to the wall in misty thicket and repeat the process. Don't loot shields or rings, it's a waste of space

The spears are heavy, so by the time you are half full, you will be walking real slow. Having weight reduction bags helps, but the good ones aren't cheap.

As a necro you don't really need PP anyway. I was so rich playing my necro I constantly had a moderate amount of plat and really not much of a need for it. Once I switched to a monk, and twinking him I definitely felt broke again haha.

Lastly. Buy sow pots as a necro. Jboots aren't worth the initial investment and you can pick up sow pots, 10 for 100pp. Also, jboots are stuck on just one character.
you're not wrong about the plat being fast at this camp, the XP is just so awful that I can't sit in it. Unfortunately. I guess if I need platinum I will just farm something when I need it.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneosak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you're not wrong about the plat being fast at this camp, the XP is just so awful that I can't sit in it. Unfortunately. I guess if I need platinum I will just farm something when I need it.
It's been so long since I killed guards for exp, I can't remember when they go green. I do know as long as they are blue, it's a hard camp to beat.

Specters in feerrott or Oasis of Marr probably offer the best exp, and decent loot. Scythes, gems and pp aren't bad. Specters are heavily camped, but I've noticed that there is a lot of turnover, especially in Feerott.

Other than that, there's giants in Wraithe and giants in Everfrost at later levels.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneosak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for all of the advice this forum has provided to leveling necro's, tons of great camps and information. I took your advice and went from 35 to 39 in Kaesora, charming the library ramp. Great learning experience as far as charming strategies and techniques. The XP is out of control but the plat is pretty mediocre. I thought maybe exploring deeper in the dungeon to try to find a different room to camp for money, but I only see one item that really sells for alot of plat and it's off Xalgoz.

I have looted mostly fine steel, some runes/words/pages, and the occasional truesilver item ( I think I have looted 2 in 4 levels) that sell good. When I dinged 39, I still didn't have much plat, I went and got my spells and bought a 5ac55hp ring because I had a little leftover cash finally.

I've previously been leveling in super high ZEM/XP areas only and not focusing on cash camps. I feel like as I continue into the 40s I am going to be having plat problems if I don't find alternative places to level that supplement some platinum. I think Spectres is probably a good place but it's always camps. I managed to camp them one time and it was decent plat and XP. I did Hill Giants for awhile one day as well. I tried Oggok guards but the plat really isn't that great and the XP is just OK.

Should I just stay in Kaesora and level faster to camp something harder for more plat down the road? Or is there some good balance I might find somewhere? I was thinking maybe there is a better place in Kaesora to camp that isn't around library that has undead/better loots.
Hey! I’m thinking about heading to kaesora to do some charming on my chanter who’s currently lvl 35. How much trouble did you have down there initially at 35? Thinking about charm breaks etc. Also do you have any favorite spot or area that was more suitable early on?
Old 08-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordbear [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey! I’m thinking about heading to kaesora to do some charming on my chanter who’s currently lvl 35. How much trouble did you have down there initially at 35? Thinking about charm breaks etc. Also do you have any favorite spot or area that was more suitable early on?
I will be honest, at 35 it was pretty hard. I died alot but it's not bad because only like 4 kills will get you the XP back.

I feel like necro charm doesnt really break much, but maybe I just got lucky. I've had maybe 5-6 charm breaks in like 4 levels.

The hallway to the library has 1 patrol that pats from top all the way down to library and has a pretty long patrol path, he is the only real annoying part. That and the Skeletal Warders (clerics) they are extremely annoying to deal with because they have a 3-4 sec greater heal that they cast immediately on breaks.

My strategy for dealing with them is to just solo them with my pet (not an option for you) or ideally charming them. They will usually die first, when you break them at low hp, immediately mez them and then cast a big nuke to finish. Keeping the mob you're fighting rooted is necessary.

The library hallway itself has 1 patrol, 2 mobs at top, and 3 mobs at bottom. I did those from 35-37, once I got 37 I was able to pull more mobs from library itself. Once you get in a groove its pretty simple and pretty rewarding as far as XP goes. You will die alot, but don't get too discouraged. It might be wise to wait until 36 as a chanter just due to the fact that you don't have Feign death.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I will be honest, at 35 it was pretty hard. I died alot but it's not bad because only like 4 kills will get you the XP back.

I feel like necro charm doesnt really break much, but maybe I just got lucky. I've had maybe 5-6 charm breaks in like 4 levels.

The hallway to the library has 1 patrol that pats from top all the way down to library and has a pretty long patrol path, he is the only real annoying part. That and the Skeletal Warders (clerics) they are extremely annoying to deal with because they have a 3-4 sec greater heal that they cast immediately on breaks.

My strategy for dealing with them is to just solo them with my pet (not an option for you) or ideally charming them. They will usually die first, when you break them at low hp, immediately mez them and then cast a big nuke to finish. Keeping the mob you're fighting rooted is necessary.

The library hallway itself has 1 patrol, 2 mobs at top, and 3 mobs at bottom. I did those from 35-37, once I got 37 I was able to pull more mobs from library itself. Once you get in a groove its pretty simple and pretty rewarding as far as XP goes. You will die alot, but don't get too discouraged. It might be wise to wait until 36 as a chanter just due to the fact that you don't have Feign death.
Yea 36 sounds like a more appropriate level, always risky to charm stuff 1 level below. Thanks for the info!
Closed Thread