Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Fire Giant

This is something that has been on my mind lately. I'm currently working on building my 3D art profile, which is emphasizing character art. I decided to do a project that I call "EQ Redeux" as I'm going to be recreating some of what I consider the iconic race/class combos from EQ (some decisions are more of a design choice for diversity). Any way, this is what I have laid out currently.

Bard / Half Elf
Cleric / Half Elf / Female (praise Lolth!)
Druid / Halfling
Enchanter / High Elf
Magician / Gnome
Monk / Human
Necro / Iksar
Paladin / Dwarf
Ranger / Wood Elf
SK / Ogre or Troll
Shaman / Barbarian
Warrior / Ogre or Troll
Wizard / Erudite

I was able to start a few weeks ago and haven't gotten too far due to work and family, but here are a few pics of where I'm at with my first toon, which is DE cleric. Her skin has a long ways to go still, and will lighten up as I go. I have some armor made, but I'm not ready to setup render shots.

Head shot
Front
Back

I'll create a post when I finish her, and the others. So if anyone has any interest they can check them out.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 PM
Banned

ogre - melee
troll - shaman
i got bored typing this
Old 09-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Kobold

Barbarian = Shaman
Dwarf = Cleric
Dark Elf = Necromancer
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Magician
Halfling = Rogue
Half Elf = Bard
High Elf = Enchanter
Iksar = Monk
Human = Monk
Ogre = Warrior
Troll = Shadow Knight
Wood Elf = Druid
Old 09-21-2018, 11:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess Rogues are the exception, but they can get illusion masks for basically every race except the Master Race, so it's still wisest to roll Halfling there.
Next patch for that mask. Halfling Bards, too.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Planar Protector

barbarian = warrior
Dwarf = Paladin
Dark elf = Necromancer
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Rogue
Halfling = Rogue
Half elf = Bard
High elf = Enchanter
Iksar = Monk
Human = Cleric
Ogre = Shaman
Troll = Shadow Knight
Wood elf = Druid

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Sarnak

Iksar = MASTER RACE FOR EVERYTHING <3
Barb = Shaman (fashionquest)
Dwarf = Rogue (barrel rolling backstab)
Dark Elf = Necromancer (OG necros, after all)
Erudite = Wizard (UNLIMITED POWERRRRR!!!!!!!)
Gnome = Necromancer (walking talking balls of pus and boils)
Halfling = Just nope, nope nope. NOPE.
Half Elf = Bard (outcast and traveller types)
High Elf = Paladin (haughty better than thou-attitude and cool Tunare loots)
Human = Druid (just cooler than everyone else)
Ogre = meh
Troll = meh again
Wood elf = lol
Last edited by Nixtar; 09-22-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Old 09-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalderon Crystafire [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Next patch for that mask. Halfling Bards, too.
Good luck with that spawn and drop rate man, i spent about a week camping that thing on live with my bard and still didnt get it
Old 09-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good luck with that spawn and drop rate man, i spent about a week camping that thing on live with my bard and still didnt get it
That sucks. I did some tests not long ago on live/test server and was able to get one after 15 kills with the mob spawning about 1/4 of the time.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the other direction, what I would personally pick from Min/Max perspective for each class. In some cases race doesn't really matter though and it's just personal preference:

Bard = Half-Elf (weird how this race has the highest Dexterity, but okay!)

Cleric = Halfling (I've never understood why this isn't an ultra common choice for the class; sneak and hide is so good for Cleric, the stats are good, and even an exp bonus)

Druid = Wood Elf if I know Velious will be on the server, because they get a couple clickies there, otherwise Halfling.

Enchanter = High Elf for PvE server because max Charisma, Dark Elf for PvP server because Hide can randomly be useful and actually that 5 extra STR can be relevant for encumberment.

Magician = Gnome (tiny people summoning big pets is by far the coolest, but actually the small size can be a real benefit for PvP) or Dark Elf (having Hide as a skill is more useful for other classes, but it's still something that might randomly be useful)

Monk = Iksar (duh)

Necromancer = Iksar (Dark Elves look the coolest but sadly that's not enough under this consideration criteria; I wish Dark Elf Necromancers got some kind of special item that mattered)

Paladin = Dwarf (easily the best stats available)

Ranger = Wood Elf or Half-Elf, the latter is very slightly better for pure DPS stats, but -20 Wisdom can matter, so there's an argument either way. You could also say Human has perfectly competitive stats with those races too, but I think the lack of Infravision takes them down a notch for classic Everquest.

Rogue = Barbarian is highest STR which is stupidly the most important stat for the class and they also get Slam, so they are clearly the best for straightforward combat. However, there is again that consideration of lacking Infravision. Dwarves have the best stats for an Infravision race and for PvP small size can matter too, to the point that Halfling or even Gnome for the tiniest size possible can be a serious argument here.

Shaman = Ogre, or Troll, or Iksar. Frontal stun immunity can be a big deal, but the races with health regen have an obvious advantage as well. I suppose you could possibly say Barbarian has the consideration of lowest exp penalty and can use JBB while being smaller size in comparison to Ogre/Troll, but realistically they are just the weakest choice (which makes me sad, that was my first character ever!)

Shadow Knight = Troll or Ogre, with Iksar a considerion for Velious era. Again it's just what you value more between frontal stun immunity or regen, and then Iksar get a consideration for Velious era because of being able to eventually get the highest AC there.

Warrior = Ogre or Halfling, the former is best purely for combat, but sneak and hide on this class (plus the exp bonus if you care about saving time leveling) is a real consideration, as is the small size for PvP. Iksar for Velious era is a consideration too, since they eventually get the highest AC and regen is always nice.

Wizard = I think Dark Elf is best because Nektulos gate staff saves you mana for doing vendor stuff and Hide can be handy, although Erudite having slightly higher INT is an argument (that lack of Infravision tho...), and for PvP server Gnome is very much a consideration because of tiniest size.

So overall giving each race 1 point where they are my sole top pick for a class, .5 points for being listed as a strong choice, and .25 points for Iksar mentions within Velious-specific era, here is how each race is rated:

3.0 points = Iksar
2.5 points = Halfling
1.5 points = Ogre, Gnome, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf
1 point = Troll, Wood Elf
.5 points = Barbarian, High Elf, Erudite
0 points = Human

The classes aren't balanced and race choice matters more for some classes than others, so this isn't a strictly accurate take on the power level of each race, but still pretty fun to think about!
I thought that was a fantastic breakdown, and I 100% agree on Halfling Clerics, but ... infravision? On P99 with the Titanium client?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman - Iksar
Necromancer - Iksar
Monk - Iksar
Shadow Knight - Iksar
Warrior - Iksar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Closed Thread