Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Kobold

Default No servers in server select screen

Hi,

I have been playing P99 for months now - mostly from my serviced apartment complex.

Once in a while I will get the blank server select screen, I will just relog in a few times, till I see the list.

Today is different - for almost an hour I am getting the blank server screen (no servers list), and no luck with relogging, restarting EQ, and rebooting PC.

I got the server list TWICE, and both times when I logged in, I got the "files are not uptodate" at the char select screen. My files are all upto date - I could log into P1999 with no issues till yesterday.

I have also checked with the complex's ISP provider/support and they havent changed any settings, including anything to port 5998.

I have also searched and checked previous posts here - and tried everything (including the wierd use mouse clicks/and not enter to navigate "solution suggestion" heh) to no avail.

Is there anything SPECIFIC I can do and use that information to check with ths ISP on the network etc? Please advise.

Thanks.

Dury
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Large Rat

I kept having this same problem, and then it switched to simply popping "Error - a timeout occurred" and not letting me into the P99 server OR the server list either whenever I try to log in. >:

I installed everything for the first time yesterday, and worked fine until around 7pm -4:00 gts I think.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Kobold

well now I got the servers list, got the characters also - when I click enter world it is loading but stuck there; suspect it is sucky ISP (

Now back to no servers (
Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Kobold

heh, got servers list once more - but got the "need to update files" in char select screen (

I am lost heh. Hope this sorts itself out soon)
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Kobold

When I can log in but can't see any servers it's usually because my cablemodem is too warm and I'm getting too much packetloss. Try turning your cablemodem off for a couple minutes and plugging it back in. You should see servers then. At least, everytime I do that I see them again. (This happened to me last night in fact, didn't go away until I rebooted my cablemodem. I had been watching videos on Hulu before I got booted and couldn't see servers anymore)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Kobold

I am in a hotel complex (serviced apartment in a hotel) so no modem/router alas.

I tried now and after a few tries, could log in a character with no issues - So defenitely something to do with latency/ISP here? Any specific tracert or something I can run to verify?
Last edited by beeshma_nameless; 05-23-2011 at 07:09 PM..
Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

do a tracert on project1999.org. The website his hosted in the same datacenter as the p99 server I believe. So you should experience the same issues going to the website as going directly to the server.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Kobold

Thanks willl do next time I have this problem - seems to be okay today though.

I did a tracert to project1999.org and found it okay yesterday - could use forum etc no issues, just could not log in etc.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Fire Giant

I am starting to have this problem now. Trace looks ok for ping lag. Could it be Comcast? Anyone else on Comcast?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am starting to have this problem now. Trace looks ok for ping lag. Could it be Comcast? Anyone else on Comcast?
Comcast doesn't like Project 1999 or more specifically EQEMU for some reason (Per Uthgaard).

As far as the server select screen being blank, here you go:

Quote:
This usually means there is a network problem. Either your network is blocking port 5998 or your router may just be having issues that need to be corrected. If you live in a dorm or are playing from a public network, it is probably going through a proxy and that means they are most likely blocking port 5998, so you won't be able to play. If you are playing from home and have control of your internet connection, then the problem is probably either with your router/modem or with your PC. First, make sure that you don't have a firewall or any other security programs running that might block your connectivity in any way. Next, make sure you aren't forwarding port 5998 to any PCs on your network (this includes port range forwarding that would include port 5998 in the range). If not, next you want to try powering down your modem and router. Then power up your modem and wait until it gets a connection. Next, power up your router and wait for it to connect. Last, reboot your PC and try connecting to EQEmu again. If that still isn't working, then there is a good chance that you need to reset your router or router/modem back to factory defaults. Most modems have a sunken in button that you can hold down to reset it to defaults. Check your product documentation for how to do it. Once that is done, set up your router again and try connecting to EQEmu again. It should be working now, but if not, there may be an issue with the routing from your ISP or your router may just be going bad.