Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Sarnak

Default Question about lore

Are npcs able to be interacted with by using keywords to find out about lore elements? I know there are some quests but is all lore discussed in online forums and guides? I've learned the basics about factions but I don't know the story behind them. What are these ancient looking structures and ruins I keep grinding by and who did they once belong to? Who are these deities that are being worshipped and why have they caused the population to hate eachother so much? What does my dark lord Innoruuk want from me? Why do gouls and madmen roam the desert? I have so many questions about the world that have gone unanswered. I would like to be able to learn it ingame if possible because I feel that reading about it online would break the immersion.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Aviak

There's some lore that's fleshed out in quest dialogues, but not nearly to the extent you're asking about. There are lots of answers out there, but most of that would have to come from inferences based on lore outside the game, information doled out in later EQ expansions, or stuff from EQ2.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

It might be interesting to roll a character on live to ask such questions. I feel if there are any NPCs that answer these question there is a good chance their dialogue won't have been logged or copied to p99.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Sarnak

If you tell the monk guild master in Cabilis "I am here to kill you" He will attack you. Remembered that from live rofl not sure if its still on p99
Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the responses. As for rolling live I was there first and I couldn't stand it. Ill read up on the lore online and try to keep it as cannon as possible (fanfic and speculation be damned). Are there any official novels that people recommend covering the history leading up to p99 content?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Actually, you might be able to find some lore in books purchased in-game. These are kind of all over the place, though. (EX: That historian in the Court of Pain in Cabilis)

You also get a good dose of lore during the shaman epic quest when you're getting all of those CoM drops that are written in Lizardman.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

The old prima guides had short intros in city/race/class sections usually. Gave little snipets of the world/lore.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Orc

Just my two cents on the topic but I think the general idea behind the lore you're looking for is the same basic concept behind the epic quests in the game.

There are TONS of npcs throughout this world and the game generally does not hold your hand at all. Players had to literally talk to every single NPC throughout the world and piece together their thoughts to find out "Oh this guy sounds related to the shaman epic". Keeping in mind sometimes npcs only say certain things based on you faction. This information then gets shared with the rest of the community.

This same concept applies to all the detailed lore you are looking for. No one person went through the game and found out all the lore in the entire game. Many players went through and shared all their information...then other players pieced together that information to create the detailed stories about the lore you are looking for. Yes a lot of details came in further expansions and even EQ2 but there is a lot in the game currently. The difference is you can either travel the entire world and try talking to every single NPC out there and piece together the MANY stories or you can read online where other players have done the legwork for you.

I understand the immersion principle but this game was never designed for 1 player to be able to accomplish everything themselves...even figuring out the story. Teamwork and communication between the community was required even to just accomplish some of the simplest tasks. I mean honestly imagine starting this game from scratch where all players knew NOTHING about the game. Internet or not...there is still a lot of exploring and searching that had to be done to find the information you're looking for and that work would honestly be a lot for 1 person to accomplish themselves. This information does not come sequentially or linearly, you just wander around talking to every single npc in the game many different times with different levels of faction and see what they say. Then you take all that information and pool it to create stories and where things come from. Sometimes this information comes from just talking, and other times it is inserted into quests including epic quests. You as a single person would need to get an epic on every single class to understand the story behind all the lore int he world.

This game came out with minimal guide or instruction. It left almost all work up the the players/community to work together to figure out the mysteries the programmers ingeniously inserted into the world.

That's enough out of me, I feel like I started to ramble but I hope I got across the general idea.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisshan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just my two cents on the topic but I think the general idea behind the lore you're looking for is the same basic concept behind the epic quests in the game.

There are TONS of npcs throughout this world and the game generally does not hold your hand at all. Players had to literally talk to every single NPC throughout the world and piece together their thoughts to find out "Oh this guy sounds related to the shaman epic". Keeping in mind sometimes npcs only say certain things based on you faction. This information then gets shared with the rest of the community.

This same concept applies to all the detailed lore you are looking for. No one person went through the game and found out all the lore in the entire game. Many players went through and shared all their information...then other players pieced together that information to create the detailed stories about the lore you are looking for. Yes a lot of details came in further expansions and even EQ2 but there is a lot in the game currently. The difference is you can either travel the entire world and try talking to every single NPC out there and piece together the MANY stories or you can read online where other players have done the legwork for you.

I understand the immersion principle but this game was never designed for 1 player to be able to accomplish everything themselves...even figuring out the story. Teamwork and communication between the community was required even to just accomplish some of the simplest tasks. I mean honestly imagine starting this game from scratch where all players knew NOTHING about the game. Internet or not...there is still a lot of exploring and searching that had to be done to find the information you're looking for and that work would honestly be a lot for 1 person to accomplish themselves. This information does not come sequentially or linearly, you just wander around talking to every single npc in the game many different times with different levels of faction and see what they say. Then you take all that information and pool it to create stories and where things come from. Sometimes this information comes from just talking, and other times it is inserted into quests including epic quests. You as a single person would need to get an epic on every single class to understand the story behind all the lore int he world.

This game came out with minimal guide or instruction. It left almost all work up the the players/community to work together to figure out the mysteries the programmers ingeniously inserted into the world.

That's enough out of me, I feel like I started to ramble but I hope I got across the general idea.
You arent rambling and you got your point across well. I'll start hailing NPCs and see what I come up with. That's one thing about this game I love. Everything is a mystery at first. Not even maps are exposed to you in game, you need to figure that stuff out. I wonder how the first players felt when they used the tunnels under Freeport for the first time. You're thrown out there with just your wits and underwear. Sadly you don't get this kind of progression in game anyore.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Orc

Haha, I love the wits and underwear comment. I find it very entertaining watching someone play for the first time as they try to grasp at any helpful information they can as they try to learn the world around them. I usually explain that if they enjoy that aspect of the game they will probably enjoy their time on P99. If they don't enjoy it then they probably won't since generally nothing gets hand fed to you other than through the kindness of other players =P
Closed Thread