Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Sarnak

Default Necro words

I just started leveling up research. Would it be best to throw some points in it at the skill trainer first or should I do it from scratch by grinding words? Is it even worth doing at all? What's your take on it?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Fire Giant

If you join a group just ask if you can loot the words that drop. in my experience 99% of the time the answer will be yes. this way you can get experience and do your research at the same time
Last edited by Expediency; 12-11-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Old 12-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you join a group just ask if you can loot the words that drop. in my experience 99% of the time the answer will be yes. this way you can get experience and do your research at the same time
I've been doing that and have accumulated a number of words but some combinations seem to have a high failure rate. I have been saving my skill points and dont know if it would be worth it to spend a few in research.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Aviak

This should help http://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Re...Practice_Runes
Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I strongly, strongly advise that you take some time (couple hours even) to go to all the vendors in towns you can access (e.g. Freeport). Vendors sells all sorts of runes, words, pages (research items for the int classes) all the time when people sell to them. It took me less than 20pp and about 1 hour searching vendors in Erudin and Freeport to get all the Wizard runes I needed for research spells (lvl 16 and 20).

This doesn't just include vendors in cities, but gypsy camp vendors as well. I can guarantee the words you are looking for are currently on a NPC vendor somewhere.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromcat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I strongly, strongly advise that you take some time (couple hours even) to go to all the vendors in towns you can access (e.g. Freeport). Vendors sells all sorts of runes, words, pages (research items for the int classes) all the time when people sell to them. It took me less than 20pp and about 1 hour searching vendors in Erudin and Freeport to get all the Wizard runes I needed for research spells (lvl 16 and 20).

This doesn't just include vendors in cities, but gypsy camp vendors as well. I can guarantee the words you are looking for are currently on a NPC vendor somewhere.
Cool thanks for the advice. I didn't think of that. I'll check them out.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:43 AM
Fire Giant

I was doing research for awhile but gave it up because you can find a dozen words for one spell and only one word for another. It does help if you belong to a guild where all words they come across, they give to you. If not, it's going to take a long time.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Planar Protector

I strongly recommend you just spend points and pay coin to train research. I tried the research runes method, making spells method and both of those were horribly slow.

The only other thing I did with my points was put 1 point into every language. But that his highly optional and certainly not required.

Buying research from the guild master is the best method in my honest opinion. Plus this way you don't have to worry about getting your INT to 255 to maximize gain chance.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Fire Giant

I think it also depends which class you are researching for. I never did research on live but on P99 I'm doing it on all 3 pure casters and they are not the same. Mage is definitely more of a PITA because of the added 3rd component and the fact that many pets are research only and many research items require previous researched spells as components.

I think in the case of Mage (and maybe even the other classes as well) it's probably worthwhile to spend at least some points in research so when you research the pages that you actually need you have the best chance at success and when you have duplicates use those to skill-up before you max out your research for that level. That's probably the most efficient method.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

That is a great point EQBallzz.
My spell research ideology is based on magician research. Mage spell words are the most rare by far.

I know an enchanter who never spent more than 1 point in research and be breezed through spell research. Simply because enchanter words dropped more commonly. However he did try the research runes and quickly grew tired of gathering the misc reagents for those. So as he leveled he just saved all the words he found.

My mage's bank box has 2 full bags dedicated to words. Probably because I never used them to train research.

--
So all that being said. I can see how, as a necro, you could just farm the words and try to make the spells in the field. Because they're not the least common of the 4 caster classes words.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 12-12-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Closed Thread