Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While this is true to an extent ... again, a company can't just sue a person (or another company, or any entity) without cause. I don't care if the Walmart corporation itself hates me with a fiery fiery passion, and deploys all their vast legal resources against me: they cannot bring me to court without cause. If they did, I wouldn't need a lawyer: the judge would throw the case out.

This place didn't operate for a decade without an agreement because Rogean is an idiot who wants to be sued. He has very deliberately drawn a legal line to keep himself safe, for instance by preventing any links to download Titanium here.

Obviously a link to the client would be very convenient ... but that would expose Rogean legally, because then he'd be (potentially) facilitating copyright infringement of IP owned by Daybreak.
copyright violation would be the cause. they are running a bootleg EverQuest server. you could definitely get it heard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-03-2020, 05:18 PM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have no idea what will happen but I am fairly confident that Rogean isn’t going to pay millions of dollars in attorney fees defending his right to host p99 if it ever actually came to real legal action, regardless of the Constitutional Law essays in this thread from esteemed high elven lawyers.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we already know that's rogaine's argument, although I'd love to see if a few subpoenas actually bore out the lack of financial connection with p99s related profit-making websites. I'm not saying I think it should happen, although it would be sweet justice for hijacking the EQEmu community into a proprietary shithole. just being sane here, they are operating a bootleg EverQuest server. That's grounds enough to get it heard, and with financial muscle p9 would cave. just sayne.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-03-2020 at 05:49 PM..
Old 12-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any agreement prior to the sale will be nullified and must be re negotiated.

They can do whatever they want, everquest is their property

I would love to see red get a pop spike, if half of the playerbase tried red they would see its better.

I dont read what you write because you are an idiot, this new company owns all ip rights and distribution for everquest on all platforms on all servers and now has the legal right to shut down all private projects, regardless if you think rogean owns p99 because you think he made it from scratch ( Lol idiot )

No the contracts didnt become nullified overnight, but they reserve the right to modify them because the original issuing party was sold, just like when a company merges or aquires another they have the legal right to liquidate your stock position and give warrants at a different amount and turn your position to shit.

Operating cost is close to 0, they paid 300m because their franchises are extremely profitable, do you have 300m? 300k? Even 3000 dollars? Bet you dont.

If they do a sweep they will target eq emu first, which they should.

Smart guy

It was already shut down when daybreak took over, guess you forgot fat idiot.

Daybreak added nothing new, they turned a stale business model into a cash machine and made more in 1 year then soe did in 10

What debt? You think a company that pays 300m for another one has financial problems?

To you, but young gamers these days are a different species then us.
Did you not see the financials I posted as well as their own public release where they also just took out 900 mill in debt to acquire daybreak? or the debt to capital ratio of 44 when by most standards 2 is risky? they have a decent quick ratio but if you look deeper into their numbers their company is incredibly leveraged.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Banned

It still seems odd that in 11 years of this server existing, not to mention all the other eqemu servers, SOE never took measures to stop any of it, nor did daybreak, really, even though they both had the same financial incentives to shut it all down that people are saying this new company will act on. Unless these guys are particularly litigious or ruthless compared to soe or daybreak, there's 11 years of precedent to suggest they won't do anything.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:23 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It still seems odd that in 11 years of this server existing, not to mention all the other eqemu servers, SOE never took measures to stop any of it, nor did daybreak, really, even though they both had the same financial incentives to shut it all down that people are saying this new company will act on. Unless these guys are particularly litigious or ruthless compared to soe or daybreak, there's 11 years of precedent to suggest they won't do anything.
To be fair I am not saying they will stop it. What I am saying is they will own the IP and appear to be on track to go bankrupt in 2-3 years which the IP address will go bye bye
Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 PM
Fire Giant

11 pages of reasons to just enjoy this game right now, today, right this very minute.. Don't read into anything else here, just login, adventure, meet some cool folks, and enjoy the game. NOW.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 PM
Aviak

also with the amount of debt they just took out and their debt ratios I doubt they will want to litigate anything
Old 12-03-2020, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

Wouldn’t it be awesome if this L7 company or whatever actually really LOVE EQ and went in debt just to acquire the IP? Maybe they have Brads Vision to direct all their resources into creating a live version of P99 (maybe even buying code from Rog just to do it) and also to re create a real updated Everquest 3?

One can only dream....

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Closed Thread