Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 09:30 PM
Fire Giant

When I leveled my second bard, I went Melee mostly when soloing until 40. I would occasionally kite to push through hell levels a bit.

After that it was a lot of charming because I really began to enjoy the play style. When Mana got low I would either afk med or fear kite, mostly dots. The only downtime I had was when I wanted it.

For me, the biggest appeal to the bard is the diverse skillset, which allows for the most play styles of any class in the game by a long shot. If you look at it this way, you have four or five ways of soloing and only one that costs Mana. You also have the ability to cc, pull, tank and buff in groups. Good bards recognize what to do when the time calls for it in any group and you really won't ever be doing just one of these things, in most cases.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:19 AM
Banned

Bard can solo guardian Kozz naked with no mana. Just sayin.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are making me not want to play Bard at this rate. I wanted to play it like a Hybrid. Beat things to death with a bit of support magic on the side.

But if that's not gonna fly, then I may as well go Ranger like I was originally planning. The gear I have put aside will fit the Ranger as well, only the weapons will differ: Lamentation x2 and Talisen, Bow of the Trailblazer.

Actually, I've got a full set of Crystal Chitin now, so that would probably go to the Ranger instead, and my Paladin would go back to using his old crap until I start filling it in with Thurgadin gear.
Honestly that seems like the wisest decision if that's your preferred playstyle. Ranger with a slow weapon, maybe eventually get your PoSky cloak, and you're basically playing the character you're describing that you want to play.

Or just roll the bard and play it. Once you hit the point melee doesn't become as good, you might find you enjoy the other things a bard can do. I started a bard on blue intending to play melee, but once I learned how to swarm kite I didn't look back. Moot point since I only got him to 22, but still.

Even my shaman melees better than a bard with a solid 2hb and DoT's/pet going.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Sarnak

Bard melee isn't terrible until about 40 when all the other classes start to pull away because of double attack. You must remember that a bard is a utility class and not a dps or tank traditionally. That being said, if you become good at the class, they can do more solo than most other classes. Between mezzing, charming, kiting (hate swarming) and fear kiting you will have more than enough tools in your bag to get just about anything done by yourself. Not to mention tracking is invaluable when doing cycle camps or quillmane.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Aviak

In my experience bard melee is pretty bad without some hefty items, but it makes sense. Imagine a minstrel trying to fight a mammoth the same way a mighty warrior would. Breaks your lute and your skull. RIP

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:50 AM
Banned

60 bard does about 50-70 DPS to AoW depending on buffs w/ tunare dagger and epic. This does not include the huge damage shield you can provide to Main tank.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

People focus on the high levels too much.

Make a twinked bard and have a blast leveling it as melee until it's no longer effective and then move on to something else.

Bards are probably the best twink from 1 to 20 because they get access to such powerful spells so early on.

Maybe even 1 to 30 because the dots will make up for lack of double attack for a while after 20.

You will start to struggle after 30 without a fungi and probably won't have much success meleeing after 40 but who cares if it's fun along the way.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Banned

Once you get epic everything changes, at 60 you can churn through low blues like butter and never lose hp, bards also have access to the highest self buffed atk rating in the game so if you gear right you will enjoy tons of max hit rounds, it’s very much possible to melee to 60 if you are heavily twinkled and even easier if you have epic
Last edited by Zipity; 09-10-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Old 09-10-2020, 04:25 PM
Banned

get string instrument
play mana/regen song
afk
Old 09-11-2020, 03:08 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah if you dont have an epic on your bard i wouldnt bother melee'ing at all

the alternative is swapping in your instruments as the songs are landing which is basically annoying as fuck

if you ahve epic your proc is worht it
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Closed Thread