Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Large Rat

Hi, I'm hoping to see if anyone can help me troubleshoot this. To make a long story short, I've been able to get EQ working under Wine on Linux 16.04. It works pretty flawlessly from what I can tell. Once I figured out the resolution it ran like a charm with one exception...

On occasion (I don't know what triggers this) the game will crash completely. Because of how this server seems to work, you're unable to immediately log back in. Of course this leads to frustration once you pass level 5 and start losing exp for deaths. Going forward I'd really like to solve this problem before playing much more.

The terminal I run from doesn't give me many clues as to what causes the crash either. This is all it reads:

Code:
fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_set_gamma_ramp Ignoring flags 0x1.
and those messages are long before any crash occurs.

Using Wine 1.9.18 on Linux 16.04. Nvidia 375.66 drivers. I run Full Screen with a 1280x960 virtual desktop through winecfg (psuedo windowed mode).

Disclaimer: I'm by no means a seasoned player, just a regular dude trying to get the game running [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Appreciate any and all help.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

Try, in that order:

1. Update Wine to the latest version
2. Update NVIDIA drivers to the latest version
3. Update what seems to be Ubuntu to the latest version
4. Panic
Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qftb2O--Y
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably it would be best for you to get a small Windows partition on that computer and boot to it to play EQ.
yeah but learning Linux is more fun this way than reading the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dsetup.dll. The one in the patch package is lowercase, the one from an EQ install may be uppercase (DSETUP.dll). Linux filesystems are case-sensitive by default, Windows is not.

So if you open a terminal in/cd to your EQ directory, run this
Code:
ls | grep -i dsetup
and get more than one result, you are probably still loading the original DSETUP.dll, which needs to be removed or replaced with the new one.
That fixed my issue. Thanks, I am now working on resizing the window.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice meme. I stand corrected, small typo on my part. I should have known better [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Had a brain fart I guess. I can't edit my post now but yes, I did mean Ubuntu.

Thanks for the suggestions Izmael, I will try those. Seems like the logical thing to do. Hopefully it doesn't mess up compatibility with any other apps or games that I'm running, as updates generally can. For now changed the Windows Version in winecfg to Win95 after scouring the forum for a bit and seeing that it helped someone. Lets see if that makes a difference before I start downloading things. I tend to favor staying on the same versions of software/OS unless I absolutely have to change it.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:06 AM
Large Rat

So I'm writing back with good news, changing the Windows Version from 7 to 95 seemed to do the trick. No updates of any kind were necessary. I didn't want to speak too soon in case I just got lucky but I've been playing for the past week now with no crashes whatsoever. Happily leveling away [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway that's the solution that worked for me, hope this can help someone down the line if they run into similar issues.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Orc

Hello,

I've been running in Debian Jessie with an NVIDIA GPU for about a year now. the only major hiccup was an empty server list problem, which I resolved by using Zaela's p99-middleman.

I recently purchased a laptop with integrated Intel graphics. Can anyone here confirm that P99 will work with integrated intel graphics? I have 7th generation i5 CPU with Intel HD Graphics 620.
Last edited by mrquincy; 12-07-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

I've been running in Debian Jessie with an NVIDIA GPU for about a year now. the only major hiccup was an empty server list problem, which I resolved by using Zaela's p99-middleman.

I recently purchased a laptop with integrated Intel graphics. Can anyone here confirm that P99 will work with integrated intel graphics? I have 7th generation i5 CPU with Intel HD Graphics 620.
I suspect you'll do great.

I have a laptop from say 2012. Believe it has the Intel 4000 integrated graphics, and doing decent. Busy big zones sometimes lag, but really no huge complaints. Examples are Wakening Lands or massive particle-fest raids I've had to wall stare, but no where else have I ever really felt performance limited.

Using Linux Mint flavor of day. Under the 'Driver Manager' / 'Proprietary drivers' I do turn on the intel-microcode. If i recall, failure to turn that driver on made the game unplayable. Sometimes between version updates that seemed to get toggled back off and I presume that I might be operating with strictly software rendering vs actual hardware support. EQ play with that is like 1 FPS and system temps melting down. Toggle back on and life is good!

Looks like I am Intel core i5-3317U @ 1.7 Ghz. 8 G RAM.

Anything newer I am sure will do just dandy!
YMMV [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone here confirm that P99 will work with integrated intel graphics? I have 7th generation i5 CPU with Intel HD Graphics 620.
I have a several-years-old I7 and I was able to run EQ with every graphic option on, including the highest particle density for everything ... except shadows. For some reason when I enabled shadows I started getting annoying-but-tolerable lag.

So yeah, you should have no trouble, unless you want shadows (and even then you might even be able to have them if you turn down the other graphics options).

P.S. This was all on Windows, but I doubt it would matter. I play on Linux (Mint) now, but I switched to using my laptop's graphics card instead of the built-in Intel one, so I haven't actually tried the Intel graphics on Linux.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 AM
Large Rat

I wanted to give another update since my first post regarding my crash situation. Turns out the "solution" I posted turned out to be complete bogus. What actually worked was deleting the eqclient.ini file. I noticed a pattern whenever my game crashed, namely that this was the last thing to appear in the terminal:
Code:
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eee4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_set_gamma_ramp Ignoring flags 0x1.
[ERROR]   - Mouse Wheel supported = TRUE

[DEBUG]   - LoginViewManager::HandleAction() - the client is exiting for some reason...
I searched the query [ERROR] - Mouse Wheel supported = TRUE which lead me to a winehq comment suggesting deleting the eqclient.ini file which I did. Voila, no more crashes while playing.

Here's the link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...rsion&iId=2939

Since doing this I've only had a couple of crashes upon launch, but none during playing itself. Why this worked, I haven't a clue. But now I can truly say I'm at it again with leveling. I got pissed off at around 18 when I died 4 times due to multiple crashes, effectively turning it into a hell level :< I powered through to 20 but died again at Cordelia Minster so I quit for a little while because it was getting ridiculous.

I made a new Barbarian aptly named Dontcrash and idled in Halas for a couple hours to make sure my main wouldn't have to pay the price should a crash occur. Needless to say I experienced 0 crashes which made me pretty thrilled. Now I'm level 29 on my main with no crash related deaths at all, purely my own bad gameplay lol. Anyway there you go, I don't know how common this is or if it's just me but I just wanted to share this little story.