Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
May I suggest using

/camp server

And

/camp desktop

They log your character out to server select and desktop. They are both good.

TIL there is a different way to /camp.

Been playing EQ on P99 for the better part 7 years.

What a wonderful day.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:36 PM
Sarnak

/camp desktop when you are done for the day, if you're not FD, don't /q unless you're in a bank or somewhere 100% safe, and even then, shit can happen.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:36 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the info! Learned a lot. Plus the other ways to camp is very helpful.

To get critical of me demanding "proof" and "evidence" I died during a crash is ridiculous- why even ask me if you refused to help or educate me, up front? I learned for certain better than to petition again for this type of thing, no doubt. But to the ones who replied with all the helpful info, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you forceably disconnect a game client from a game server without telling the server you are doing so (/q, restart your computer, force close, etc.), the server doesn't know what happened because you didn't send it a message before you quit. Do not assume programs can always send out a message before they close.

That is why there is no information on the server side to determine what happened. The server simply noticed you are not sending back data packets, and it puts you into the linkdead state until you either start sending packets again, or the linkdead timeout occurs and the server kicks you. That is why /q or other forceable disconnects are dangerous, because you will still be logged into the server for the timeout period until it kicks you.

This is why /camp exists. When you camp and go back to character select, you send a message to the server telling it you are logging out. If you had camped alive and saw your character was dead later, that would be visible to the GMs, as they have the log of you camping due to the message being sent to the server (assuming they log that).

EDIT: For a bit more clarity, /q doesnt send a logout message to the server for gameplay balancing reasons. This is why camping takes 30 seconds. EQ would be too easy if you could log out at any time. This is because you could log out to prevent death, for example. Just pull mobs to a safe location, and logout right before you die. Then wait a few minutes for the mobs to path back. /q is mimicing a computer crash, force close, etc., so they file it under that same umbrella of a client disconnect that couldn't send a message, such as a computer reset.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by completepts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To get critical of me demanding "proof" and "evidence" I died during a crash is ridiculous- why even ask me if you refused to help or educate me, up front?
Calm down Karen.

To bitch at and about volunteer staff who support the community and don't owe you anything is entitled af. I hate to assume, but I hope you're playing this 20 year old game because you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, hopefully playing it isn't a waste of time.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:54 AM
Orc

I think the OP's issue is not so much that he died.. but that the corpse was bugged to have no rez timer even tho he was offline the entire time..
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 AM
Banned

Plz join us in rnf OP.

Or maybe even OT.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbillibnis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Calm down Karen.

To bitch at and about volunteer staff who support the community and don't owe you anything is entitled af. I hate to assume, but I hope you're playing this 20 year old game because you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, hopefully playing it isn't a waste of time.
Jfc calm down there karen everybody can have an opinion
Old 06-26-2021, 04:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontheripper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jfc calm down there karen everybody can have an opinion
I read Sinbillibnis‘s post in a pretty stoic, calm tone tbh...
Old 06-26-2021, 05:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I read Sinbillibnis‘s post in a pretty stoic, calm tone tbh...
He called him a bitch 2 words in....
Old 06-26-2021, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontheripper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He called him a bitch 2 words in....
Sinbillibnis said in a stoic, calm manner that completepts was bitching at volunteers.
Closed Thread