Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 02:04 AM
Orc

Default In your opinion, what are some of the most overrated bands?

There's a lot of bands that get a lot of credit, many to this day, that I just don't get. I'm sure I'm not alone by any means. What bands do people seem to shit bricks over that you just can't get into?

I'll start with a few. Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden (or anything with Chris Cornell, though Audioslave was decent only for Tom Morello), Bush (that ones 90's rock band that seems to get played every 5 seconds on the radio, does anyone else still listen to the radio?), and Metallica.

Now I will admit that I do like some Metallica. "Kill 'Em All" is one of those albums I could listen to all the way through at least once a day and never get tired of it. But most of their other crap is mediocre at best.

Of course taste in music is subjective. But these are bands that are held to such a high level to this day, and I really do not get it.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:40 AM
Planar Protector

Kiss and AC/DC. I never liked Kiss, the lyrics for most of their popular songs were just so dumb. AC/DC was alright, but not as great as some people make them out to be.

I love the hell out of Pink Floyd, but they have like 10 good songs and the rest are just "meh", so probably overrated too.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:54 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kiss and AC/DC. I never liked Kiss, the lyrics for most of their popular songs were just so dumb. AC/DC was alright, but not as great as some people make them out to be.

I love the hell out of Pink Floyd, but they have like 10 good songs and the rest are just "meh", so probably overrated too.
Agreed on both Kiss and AC/DC. I was born in 1990, so maybe if I was young enough to listen to that kind of music as a kid when it was in it's heyday, I might appreciate it more. But it does nothing for me.

Pink Floyd is okay. Dark Side is a good album, some of The Wall is good, but I would have to agree. Very overrated. I mean even Dark Side is probably not that great in retrospect, but it brings me back the time I discovered the reefers and thought I was cool for using it while listening to said album. There's a lot of music I enjoy just for that reason alone, kind of sentimental in its own way.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed on both Kiss and AC/DC. I was born in 1990, so maybe if I was young enough to listen to that kind of music as a kid when it was in it's heyday, I might appreciate it more. But it does nothing for me.

Pink Floyd is okay. Dark Side is a good album, some of The Wall is good, but I would have to agree. Very overrated. I mean even Dark Side is probably not that great in retrospect, but it brings me back the time I discovered the reefers and thought I was cool for using it while listening to said album. There's a lot of music I enjoy just for that reason alone, kind of sentimental in its own way.
I was born in '82, so Kiss was bit before my time too, but my dad loved all that classic rock, so I grew up hearing it daily.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a lot of bands that get a lot of credit, many to this day, that I just don't get. I'm sure I'm not alone by any means. What bands do people seem to shit bricks over that you just can't get into?

I'll start with a few. Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden (or anything with Chris Cornell, though Audioslave was decent only for Tom Morello), Bush (that ones 90's rock band that seems to get played every 5 seconds on the radio, does anyone else still listen to the radio?), and Metallica.

Now I will admit that I do like some Metallica. "Kill 'Em All" is one of those albums I could listen to all the way through at least once a day and never get tired of it. But most of their other crap is mediocre at best.

Of course taste in music is subjective. But these are bands that are held to such a high level to this day, and I really do not get it.
Your entire post makes me want to hunt you down and rip your arms off. STP, Bush, Soundgarden, and Metallica were/are literally some of my favorite bands growing up in the 90's.

The thing about music is it is important to put in context of when it was released. A band like the Beatles may seem like they are mediocre by today's standards. However at the time there was just nothing like them and they inspired a revolution of the music industry. The bands you listed above all became famous in the early 90s... listen to 80s hair bands and then listen to any of the above and you will see that they were very much the first generation of "modern music" or whatever you want to call it. The grunge era changed things in much the same way the Beatles changed rock n roll in the 60s. An entirely different sound was born that simply didn't exist before hand.

But to the Q:

George Straight is the most overrated artist in the history of music.

I live in Texas also...
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 05-27-2019 at 03:35 AM..
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Planar Protector

Gonna drop the atomic troof bomb.

The Beatles.

They really were the first incarnation of a dopey boy band. They certainly were talented and a "good" band, but they were still incrdibly overrated.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Banned

Slipknot.

They have a few good songs, but I never understood those metal bands where the vocals go from guttural screaming to angelic soft singing.

They do this all while wearing slasher movie uniforms.

Plus there's 800 band members.

"What musical instrument do you play?"

"Oh, I just smoke cigarettes on stage."
Old 05-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gonna drop the atomic troof bomb.

The Beatles.

They really were the first incarnation of a dopey boy band. They certainly were talented and a "good" band, but they were still incrdibly overrated.
You mean you aren’t kissing the ground they walk on like everyone else? I agree, cringe.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Steely Dan is the most overrated band god they suck
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 AM
Banned

Tool(or anything with the maynerd)
Closed Thread