Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Kobold

The problem is that these resources (whether items or the dragons you get to kill to maybe get the items) are limited. With instanced content, everyone who wants to raid can do so every week. With non-instanced content (i.e. here on p99), only one guild can kill whatever mob we're discussing. Without instances, there's no way for you to get loot without someone else losing their opportunity.

With competition, everyone theoretically has a shot. Whether it be by joining a raid guild, or recruiting to their own guild, or forming an alliance, whatever it may be, they have an opportunity to be the ones to kill the dragon and get the loot. With a rotation, only one guild has that opportunity. The others are denied of loot flat-out.

I'm personally not in favor of instances, but I don't understand why anyone would argue for rotations OVER instances. With both options, you have an uncontested opportunity to kill the dragon and a chance for the loot to drop. With instances, everyone else has that same chance. With rotations, everyone else is denied that mob and that loot for X amount of days/weeks, and once you have your shot, you are denied that mob and that loot for the same number of days/weeks. What is the advantage to rotations over instances?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DromalPhrenia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is that these resources (whether items or the dragons you get to kill to maybe get the items) are limited. With instanced content, everyone who wants to raid can do so every week. With non-instanced content (i.e. here on p99), only one guild can kill whatever mob we're discussing. Without instances, there's no way for you to get loot without someone else losing their opportunity.
Right, and for ten years that guild has been the first to engage or the first to win the CotH race or the first to play whatever non-classic but as-close-as-we-can-come-to-classic competition.

I just think letting some other criteria, even a pure random roll (like the one I won to lead the Vox raid on Bristlebane), for some raid content would be nice because it would let people other than those "competitors" see that content. People not in guilds, people in smaller guilds, etc. Again, it's about more people getting to play classic EQ and see its content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DromalPhrenia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is the advantage to rotations over instances?
They're classic (to a debatable degree); instances very clearly aren't, as they weren't introduced until LDoN.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-06-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Old 06-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Fire Giant

That material got rotated because there was bigger and better material for the raid scene to introduce themselves into... We don't have that here. Also, a PUR is not a rotation. If you wanna see more, do more of that. In the meantime, stop trying to change the literal ENDGAME of our server into something it shouldn't be. Most of the people that are asking for rotations aren't asking for naggy and vox to be rotated, they're asking for ToV and bigger and better things... Its never gonna be that way, and if by some small chance it does become rotated, you can sure as hell bet that most of the playerbase that competes will find something new to get into... Something the ones asking for rotations should be doing instead.

You can't base rotations on live with rotations here when the material we have to work with is a tiny fraction of what they have on live. Bottom line.

Join us!!! Visit Asgard today!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Fire Giant

If anything, limit the number of people in each guild and let the best skilled or most dedicated take the prize. Nobody can bitch about equal measures after that... This is such an old fight, and you will never win it Loramin. Join a better guild or start using new strategies that will put you ahead.

Join us!!! Visit Asgard today!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Sarnak

Damn, Kedge Keep was happenin' back in the day.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Sarnak

All Gnome PoH Raid on Saturday, February 3rd, 2001.

Live was awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right, and for ten years that guild has been the first to engage or the first to win the CotH race or the first to play whatever non-classic but as-close-as-we-can-come-to-classic competition.

I just think letting some other criteria, even a pure random roll (like the one I won to lead the Vox raid on Bristlebane), for some raid content would be nice because it would let people other than those "competitors" see that content. People not in guilds, people in smaller guilds, etc. Again, it's about more people getting to play classic EQ and see its content.
I feel like this is true for anything in Everquest though. I don't want to sit in line to get the Pained Soul for the VP key, and even if I had the camp I probably can't stay logged in long enough for it to spawn. So my options are to not go to VP, or buy the piece from someone who can manage these things. Similarly, if your guild can't compete, your options are to just not compete, or endeavor to make your guild capable of competing, or join a guild that fits the criteria of what you want.

That's not even specific to Everquest, honestly. If you want to raid in other MMOs, you need to join a guild that raids. If you want to go for the hardest raids, you need people who are pushing for the hardest content. If you want server firsts, you need to join an even more dedicated raiding guild.

The difference in my mind is that people who do not raid in a competitive raid scene are doing so because they either can not, or will not. With a rotation, people are kept out of content because they are not allowed to do it. You are ready, you are able, but it isn't your turn. The people in the former camp have the option to play better or play more; the people in the latter camp have no option.

This is true even within the raiding guilds themselves; I often choose to spend time on RL things that I consider more important than Everquest, which means I attend less raids, which means I contribute less to my guild, which means I won't get loot as quickly, won't spend time with my EQ friends as much, won't have fun playing the game Everquest as often. I have a choice in the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They're classic (to a debatable degree); instances very clearly aren't, as they weren't introduced until LDoN.
If our goal is to expose the greatest number of people to those raids and that loot, arguing about classic doesn't seem relevant. The server already has several unclassic tweaks, not all of them in the interest of most fun to the players. Instances are a way of letting more people see the raid part of the game, without denying that content to existing raiders. And I disagree with your perspective that rotations such as the one in the OP qualify as classic because of the time frame we have been in Velious. On Live, the serious Raid Guilds had new content to play; p99 has no such new content.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A calendar system for P99 would in my mind be for these purposes: fostering more open raids and helping mid-tier guilds coordinate so they aren't stepping on each other's toes.

Kael Arena, WTOV/NTOV farming, +6 dragons, PoH/PoF/PoG armor farms, Sky, and maybe even Naggy and Vox open raids would be great things to see on there and would foster a more community feel for the server.
Bring on the Casual Calendar
Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 AM
Kobold

Why not both? With Green coming out either it or blue could switch to a calendar system while the other is the competitive server. It would also be interesting if when Green launched a 2nd server was also opened. Keep blue as it is and have 1 new server be competitive and 1 new server be calendar based.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not both? With Green coming out either it or blue could switch to a calendar system while the other is the competitive server. It would also be interesting if when Green launched a 2nd server was also opened. Keep blue as it is and have 1 new server be competitive and 1 new server be calendar based.
This! Or make non-earthquake mobs rotate or be on a calendar. Or make only certain mobs (eg. this month the server gets an open Vox raid, next month an open ToV). Or whatever, however.

The point is, it's not all or nothing, and never has been. For years now "sharing", in the most general sense, has been a force, and a positive one, on this server (open raids, Plane of Sky, rolls for stuff, etc.), while "competition" has also been a (much bigger) force.

With the new server coming I don't see why we can't keep Blue competitive while also adjusting that ratio slightly more towards the sharing end of the spectrum. Again, not for "free mobs", but so that more people can see dragons, gods, and other content they wouldn't get to see otherwise. More people getting to see more classic EQ content is a good thing in my book, and we can have that good thing without "making Blue communist".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread