Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-12-2023, 02:10 AM
Fire Giant

How useful is the Ring of the Dead? It's certainly neat, but I can't think of anything super awesome to do with it.

As for stam, I cap it on my troll without buffs with shitty gear. Also, https://i.imgur.com/0A0oVLn.png
Old 01-12-2023, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How useful is the Ring of the Dead? It's certainly neat, but I can't think of anything super awesome to do with it.

As for stam, I cap it on my troll without buffs with shitty gear. Also, https://i.imgur.com/0A0oVLn.png
It doesn't exist anyways and yea it's really only DE that have it lot harder stat wise.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:10 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It made binding at firepots much easier, not even sure how many lockets existed when they ended firepot binding, it was pretty quick after Kunark launch. Definitely a gimmick to be bound there as an SK though, since you don't have the ability to easily gate. I haven't found a way to really take advantage of it yet. It makes velious DESKs more flexible, if you want to move your bind away from ToV then you can without it costing an arm and a leg to change it back etc. Still, it is added capability that the other races lack. OP is only choosing between DE/HUM/ERU.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 01-12-2023, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

I've done quite a few SK builds. Troll regen is really nice, but 50+ mana & mana regen is what keeps you going the longest, especially if you can afford a fungi as well.

Go human if you like being more rare, otherwise I'd go DE for fashion, INT, and nice AGI. Perma ultravision is nice as well, although SKs do eventually get the spell. Avoid Erudite if you can, unless youre just specifically going to wear the steelsilk armor and dont plan to upgrade to more respectable gear. Their plate fashion is trash.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've done quite a few SK builds. Troll regen is really nice, but 50+ mana & mana regen is what keeps you going the longest, especially if you can afford a fungi as well.
For soloing Troll regen is generally > max mana if you have fungi and all the clickies like BP greaves. My Troll SK's gear fluctuates his Mana between 1700 and 2100 or so, and I never notice when I have the 2100 vs the 1700. I'm rarely at max mana anyway. Clickies and Flowing Thought are doing most of the mana saving on an SK (and Soul Defiler if you can grab one).

Troll Regen = less need to lifetap = more mana saved. At 60 you are gaining 80 HP/Min standing over other races, and Drain soul is around a 1.5 HP / Mana ratio. So you are potentially saving 53 mana per minute on less life taps, which is the equivalent of Flowing Thought 5.

Not saying max mana can never help. If you are in a bad situation, being able to tap a few more times is nice. But it's not going to be better than half of a Fungi Tunic's worth of HP regen at 60, when soloing at least. In Raids/Groups it's different, since you are going to have a healer anyway. But SK's are the worst raiding class, so I wouldn't generally recommend people trying to min/max for it.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

iksar because greenmist
Old 01-12-2023, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
iksar because greenmist
Blood Ember clickies are generally going to be more useful than Greenmist when soloing. It's not that great of a weapon. Epic is better, and swapping Greenmist + Epic before going back to your DPS weapon is going to lose you a lot of DPS, which means taking more damage or spending more mana anyway.

I would only recommend Iksar for Greenmist if you are 100% sure you are never going to raid. By this I mean you are not going to get raid gear for your SK, you are fine with being level 60 in EC gear. It's a good weapon in that specific scenario, since it is kind of an "Epic lite", and one of the better non-raid weapons. MQing an Epic is pretty expensive for that kind of player, probably outside of their budget. Greenmist is much cheaper.

Epic is 50 HP/Tick over 5 ticks.

Greenmist is 30 HP/Tick over 8 ticks.

If you have 255 DEX you are procing an average of every 5 ticks (2 per minute). Epic is giving you 500 HP per minute (10 ticks of 50 HP), where Epic + Greenmist is giving you 490 HP per minute if you always proc Epic first and let Greenmist finish during the next minute.

The only thing Epic + Greenmist lets you do is stack the DoTs, so you could get a bit of extra HP in that scenario, but that just depends on when you proc them. If you proc Epic + Greenmist within two ticks, that is 350 HP (7 ticks of Epic if you reproced it) vs. 490 HP (250 from Epic + 240 from Greenmist over 10 ticks total). This assumes you wouldn't have proced Epic a third time within those 10 ticks.

The extra 100 HP or so you could gain in the short term via stacking the DoTs is probably not worth the DPS loss you are getting from swinging with Greenmist. That is basically 1 attack from a higher level mob, so finishing the fight a few seconds earlier will probably get you to around the same place.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-12-2023 at 01:45 PM..
Old 01-12-2023, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Blood Ember clickies are generally going to be more useful than Greenmist when soloing. It's not that great of a weapon. Epic is better, and swapping Greenmist + Epic before going back to your DPS weapon is going to lose you a lot of DPS, which means taking more damage or spending more mana anyway.

I would only recommend Iksar for Greenmist if you are 100% sure you are never going to raid. By this I mean you are not going to get raid gear for your SK, you are fine with being level 60 in EC gear. It's a good weapon in that specific scenario, since it is kind of an "Epic lite", and one of the better non-raid weapons. MQing an Epic is pretty expensive for that kind of player, probably outside of their budget. Greenmist is much cheaper.

Epic is 50 HP/Tick over 5 ticks.

Greenmist is 30 HP/Tick over 8 ticks.

If you have 255 DEX you are procing an average of every 5 ticks (2 per minute). Epic is giving you 500 HP per minute, where Epic + Greenmist is giving you 590 HP per minute if you always proc Epic first and let Greenmist finish during the next minute.

In reality you probably aren't going to get that perfect of proc rates, and Epic is just much better when it comes to re-applying the DoT. The additional 90 HP heal is not really worth the DPS drop of having to swing with Greenmist. You'll probably save more HP just getting the fight over faster.
i agree with DSM? yikes. not like SK epic is hard to get either with golem races still a thing and MQ not that expensive at worst case.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is very true. You always gotta balance Int/Mana with hp/ac. Spells are where we get out power. This is obviously end game, but I will say the regen is plays into this by offsetting Call of Bones from Souldefiler.

Honestly, I secretly think Iksar might be the best endgame race due to the AC, better resists and more manageable size than Troll, but that 2hs animation is just too cringe for me. The Blood Ember clickies are sick while leveling, but at 60 it's pretty rare that they come in handy.

Of the choices though, I'm still on team DE. Human would be my second choice for more well rounded stats, better faction and solid fashion.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are in a bad situation, being able to tap a few more times is nice.
If you're talking dark elf versus human, it's one more tap effectively--or same number of taps but with the DE keeping a better reserve for a last ditch feign. Drain Soul is 225 mana, so that's about the same as the typical mana difference between human or dark elf given equivalent equipment. Might work out to about two taps versus a troll depending on whether the troll added anything to intelligence at creation.

But my human shadow knight has a winged serpent helm, so other arguments are invalid.

Danth