Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sam, I know you like the idea of good/evil duking it out (see: Vae Victis) and in theory it would be awesome. However you've been around long enough to know what actually will happen:

1) Those with the most time to commit/ambition will want to play with like minded players and will join the same team.
2) Aforementioned team will dominate causing frustrated players to reroll to join and new players to be a part of the winning side

Consider as well the impact this has on player retention:

Currently, if you have personal issues with someone in your guild, you can change sides. With teams ruleset you either ride solo with no hope of raiding or are forced to reroll.
not gonna lie, the thought of good vs evil makes me hard as fuck. i dont doubt there will be some guilds choosing a side but not everyone will agree. for one, i am 100% positive no doubt there are people who would leave nilly in a heartbeat if there was an alternative for pixels. people arent loyal to people, they are loyal to pixels sadly. t99 is a chance for everyone to break free. whether or not it turns to shit will be seen however the first month or 2 is gonna be epic as fuck. i dont want to assume anything, i just want some classic TEAMS PVP and I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

sorry i dont make sense. the thought of teams gets me worked up man. i am happy that the last experience with everquest i have will be teams pvp.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Sarnak

R99 is shit because the devs fucked with resists at the start, causing almost everyone to quit. When the playerbase was down to like 50, they all formed one guild and the server has been a circlejerk ever since. Few want to dedicate serious time to a server that imbalanced so it never really recovered, despite a slight growth recently. A new server is a new start with a chance for there not to be gamebreaking shit like resistable dispels, custom resist system and other garbage that screws with the PvP.

However, a teams ruleset is pretty meaningless if it isn't hardcoded because the only point of teams is so that there's always people you can rely on to help you, or at the very least not kill you. It makes it much harder for a server to become completely unbalanced and for new players to be griefed off the server before they even have a chance to get started. If they make teams where you can kill people on your own team, they completely defeat the purpose of teams and would be better off just wiping R99 (and fixing resists if those are still fucked, I dunno).

Plain R99 is better than soft teams because soft teams is a pointless system that does nothing but reduce the number of people you can group with. Hard teams serve a purpose the validity of which is arguable -- the PvP will be less pure, but there's a better chance of a balanced server. If they want to make a new server and not just redo R99, the only thing that makes sense is hardcoded teams. I would have preferred if R99 was classic from the start because that's pretty much the reason it failed, but that's too late now.

Hardcoded teams or the whole thing is pointless.

edit: ah shit wrong thread
Last edited by Noselacri; 11-09-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nihilum's only legitimate complaint is nobody will want to play on the server they ruined anymore and they won't have "won" anything. That's the only reason they're against this server coming out. That guild is full of ego strokers who haven't succeeded at anything else, they NEED to feel like they're winning red to have any purpose. This new server is a threat to their entire sense of accomplishment, no wonder they're fighting it so hard.
Pretty much the reason 20+ Nihilum are online on a Saturday Night to try to stop a rival guild from getting kills Nilly is barred from, thus raising guild morale and spurring a healthy, vibrant competition.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nihilum will be up and running faster then anyone else and they will grasp teams even harder

you would be wise to see this
thought teams wasn't even coming? lol
Old 11-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Sarnak

Fresh start, xp bonus thats on red now, working guards, possible 3 team split (better ruleset albeit less griefy), potential item loot
Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Smart money is on rmt, gonna be a month or more before you can make enough to pay rent from t99. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
<--- Not in Nihilum. Just clueless as to why people who can't compete with Nihilum now think they will be able to compete within a ruleset that is even less favorable to the underdog.
Im not sure if serious or not... At the start of Red99 a few Nihilum had the jump to 50 and quickly organized groups to start taking down dragons within the first month.. When the rest of the server (holocaust at the time) caught up in levels and began actually contesting everything they were doing. We (at the time) literally took everything and halted their progression to nothing... It wasn't until we decided to exploit the same way they were for weeks and Rogean logged in and banned the entire guild (including 10 or so people who weren't even on) that the server was then handed over to them... That was basically the pinnacle at changing Red99..

Now do I think Holocaust would have lasted near as long as Nihilum has? No way... That group of people simply didn't have the resilience to endure pve that long. But I do think it would have changed "just the beginning of the server" and not allowed for the early foothold that was established so early on...

Basically in a nutshell, Almost all integrity for the server was lost after that ban (and getting anyone to come back and play hardcore) there was next to zero chance... Everyone then feared Rogean would login (on a whim like when this went down) and just ban entire guilds (including people not even on) and the months of time wasted would be all for nothing.

Fastforward to now...
There is a solid dev working on nothing but pvp code that does listen to the community.
Sirken/Zade and crew are atleast reasonable and can be dealt with on a Leadership basis if approached maturely.
Starting fresh in hopes of not a "repeat" of the beginning of Red99 is something people are looking for..
It allows people to chose a side and start at the beginning without any advantages from outside guilds in hopes they can either A) do something different this time or B) play under a different name to fit in (aka your tomatoes and runlvlzeros.)
Old 11-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i am 100% positive no doubt there are people who would leave nilly in a heartbeat if there was an alternative for pixels. people arent loyal to people, they are loyal to pixels sadly. t99 is a chance for everyone to break free.
I agree with Sam on this. If you have been around the project long enough, you've seen this happen time and time again. People bend over backwards to get into the top guild, get their pixels, then realize that they are part of a quiet minority that absolutely hates some aspect about the leadership structure and decides they could do it better.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a group of players in Nihilum RIGHT NOW that are already discussing their own break-away guild come teams. Which is fine, more competition is always good.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with Sam on this. If you have been around the project long enough, you've seen this happen time and time again. People bend over backwards to get into the top guild, get their pixels, then realize that they are part of a quiet minority that absolutely hates some aspect about the leadership structure and decides they could do it better.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a group of players in Nihilum RIGHT NOW that are already discussing their own break-away guild come teams. Which is fine, more competition is always good.
A lot of truth to this post. While there's a decent core in Nilly who are pals, there's quite a few people there 100% only to get pixels because there's no other alternative to do so. Nilly ain't awful, but it isn't for everyone, and unfortunately up to this point on Red99, there really has been no alternative if you still want to progress your character.