Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 AM
Fire Giant

I recently did a weight loss challenge with some friends and went from about 205 lbs to 175 over the course of about 8 weeks. Along with what everyone has already said (running, lifting, dieting, etc), I found what helped me a lot was throwing yoga into the mix.

I know it's not the most manly thing in the world, but once I started doing it I was really amazed at how much my flexibility improved and how problems like back and joint pain lessened. When I started I knew literally nothing about yoga, couldn't even touch my toes. But now I can say that I'm a believer.

If you're looking for a way to start doing it yourself there's a guy named Sean Vigue who has a youtube channel with a huge variety of routines as well as dieting and general fitness tips. From the most basic of the basic, to rip roaring hour long power yoga sessions. You can do everything from the comfort and quiet of your own living room. And its a dude instructor so you don't have to feel all weird getting a boner watching a chick in hot yoga pants [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://www.youtube.com/user/motleyfitness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPr4g7o46DY
Old 08-08-2017, 03:43 AM
Sarnak

I'm a Winston Churchill fan.
Catastilye - Gnome Necro - 4
Sabany - Half-Elf Warrior - 8 - < Auld Lang Syne >
Aaemo - Erudite Shadow Knight - 6 - < Auld Lang Syne >
Borbama - Troll Shaman - 2
Keibrariza - Iksar Warrior - 4 < Auld Lang Syne >
Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 AM
Planar Protector

[QUOTE=nostalgiaquest;2566938]I recently did a weight loss challenge with some friends and went from about 205 lbs to 175 over the course of about 8 weeks. Along with what everyone has already said (running, lifting, dieting, etc), I found what helped me a lot was throwing yoga into the mix.

I know it's not the most manly thing in the world, but once I started doing it I was really amazed at how much my flexibility improved and how problems like back and joint pain lessened. When I started I knew literally nothing about yoga, couldn't even touch my toes. But now I can say that I'm a believer.QUOTE]

I'm a huge fan of yoga even though I don't do it as much as I should. If you can do it at least once a week you can greatly reduce your risk of injury and get a more effective workout routine no matter what you're training for. Or do it more often and really work on your flexibility, balance, core, and cardio.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 AM
Planar Protector

im hittin liqs watchin the trunk do tricks irl

get on my level

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Fire Giant

I like to hit the heavy bag for about 3-5 rounds and skip rope for 3 rounds everyday. my speedbag is broken and I can't convince myself to spend $60/mo at a boxing gym.

the Salt King <Ironborn>
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't believe this is true unless you have a medical condition. For the healthy individual there's a formula for everything. One of the most important things to understand is weight loss = cal surplus vs deficit. If you fully understand how that works with the foods you're eating and calories you're burning a day, you can work towards whichever goal you're trying to achieve.
I agree with what you wrote above, but what I meant by everyone's body reacts differently to exercises (and you can inclue foods/dieting too imo) was this.

Some people can do nothing but calisthenics and manage to put on significant muscle mass without ever having to do heavy lifting. Some people can do tons of curl reps and never get massive biceps, some people can eat specific foods and thrive better off them than other foods, etc.

Genetics and body chemistry is different from person to person, so I was just meaning that some of the things people may suggest might work for them but not work so well for others.

That's why it's helpful to try suggestions, but to also understand just because one thing seems to not work for you, then it's not a matter of it being bullshit, it's just a matter of that specific exercise or diet change not working for you individually.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In terms of burning calories there's nothing more intensive than running.
I don't know how the science measured up, but back when I used to run I felt I was in pretty good shape (able to handle 6 miles in a session), but then I tried swimming and DAMN... like 6 laps in a pool had me exhausted.

I also gave up running cause I had some issues with my knee that I'm pretty sure developed because of running, now I don't have any issues and don't need my brace. Willing to be other exercise routines are better on your joints and help burn more calories than running. Rowing may be a contender, that had me feeling pretty tired and worked all over instead of just my legs.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Fire Giant

Question

thank you all for all the suggestions :3 i don't really need to lose weight though. im not fat, i specifically wanna lose some lean body mass. I know you can't do targeted fat loss since you body gonna draw energy from wherever it want to, but it seem to me that targeted muscle loss is a very achievable goal, since muscle use result in damage to the tissue.

my thought is, if I don't eat enough protein, it gonna break the muscle down and it won't have enough to rebuild or grow because it gonna prioritize things liek organs and stuff over skeletal muscles. of course I guess there the chance that depriving the tissue of proteins when I break it down like that maybe gimme all sorts adhesions or something, but I think the stretching maybe help with that. i also am somewhat concerned about what a protein deficit due to my skin. maybe if I just make sure to maintain a healthy collagen intake (like chicken skins), I be good? your body wont synthesize other proteins from collagen will it?

in any case, I plan to maintain a healthy caloric intake of mostly carbs and fats alongside my regular multivitamin and other supplements.

I was thinking for a routine I do something liek increasing reps with medium weights daily for several weeks with no rest day. liek maybe I do:

3x15 lateral raise 5lb
3x15 front fly 10lb
3x15 curl 10lb
3x15 oh tri 5lb

and then add 5 reps each day until I reaching exhaustion and start failing to complete sets and then maintain that maybe doing morning and night.

do you think a caloric deficit is needed for muscle loss? im not really interested in losing fat right now, liek I said I am pretty happy with my overall shape/texture. obviously caloric deficit is needed for fat loss, because your body will store all excess as fat and fat is your fuel once you deplete glycogen, but muscle is different. using it damages it and it NEED protein to repair. we not liek cows or gorillas who can synthesize proteins from grass. i think I should be able to maintain a normal caloric intake whiled doing this.

any ideas on how to just diminish daily muscle glycogen stores? liek, so I just store less? obviously less muscle do that and so do inactivity, but happy to hear other suggestions!

it also make me wonder if doing this in a protein deficit will make my body prioritize the damaged muscle and breakdown other larger muscle groups to repair it o.o that would suck. our bodies aren't that stupid are they?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thank you all for all the suggestions :3 i don't really need to lose weight though. im not fat, i specifically wanna lose some lean body mass. I know you can't do targeted fat loss since you body gonna draw energy from wherever it want to, but it seem to me that targeted muscle loss is a very achievable goal, since muscle use result in damage to the tissue.

my thought is, if I don't eat enough protein, it gonna break the muscle down and it won't have enough to rebuild or grow because it gonna prioritize things liek organs and stuff over skeletal muscles. of course I guess there the chance that depriving the tissue of proteins when I break it down like that maybe gimme all sorts adhesions or something, but I think the stretching maybe help with that. i also am somewhat concerned about what a protein deficit due to my skin. maybe if I just make sure to maintain a healthy collagen intake (like chicken skins), I be good? your body wont synthesize other proteins from collagen will it?

in any case, I plan to maintain a healthy caloric intake of mostly carbs and fats alongside my regular multivitamin and other supplements.

I was thinking for a routine I do something liek increasing reps with medium weights daily for several weeks with no rest day. liek maybe I do:

3x15 lateral raise 5lb
3x15 front fly 10lb
3x15 curl 10lb
3x15 oh tri 5lb

and then add 5 reps each day until I reaching exhaustion and start failing to complete sets and then maintain that maybe doing morning and night.

do you think a caloric deficit is needed for muscle loss? im not really interested in losing fat right now, liek I said I am pretty happy with my overall shape/texture. obviously caloric deficit is needed for fat loss, because your body will store all excess as fat and fat is your fuel once you deplete glycogen, but muscle is different. using it damages it and it NEED protein to repair. we not liek cows or gorillas who can synthesize proteins from grass. i think I should be able to maintain a normal caloric intake whiled doing this.

any ideas on how to just diminish daily muscle glycogen stores? liek, so I just store less? obviously less muscle do that and so do inactivity, but happy to hear other suggestions!

it also make me wonder if doing this in a protein deficit will make my body prioritize the damaged muscle and breakdown other larger muscle groups to repair it o.o that would suck. our bodies aren't that stupid are they?
I seriously can't tell if you're trolling or not. Leaning towards troll though.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Fire Giant

Unhappy

no, im serious. i am pretty happy with my body fat distro, but my shoulders are like 37-39" depending on how I measure them and i have some over development of that horseshoe shaped tricep head that make it still peak out from my arm every now and then. i don't have a whole lotta muscle, but it more than I want. I have no use for it and don't like how it look or how it affect what I wear.
Closed Thread