Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default 1 GB/month Bandwidth Limitation

Hello. As the title of the thread indicates I have very limited bandwidth per month. I am a bit concerned about the per hour usage, which seems to be around 10 MB/hour. This is around 2 or more times bandwidth usage than other MMORPGs(Guild Wars retail, WoW private servers). Is there any way to reduce this, or will simply have to accept that I have around a 3 hour/day limit on Everquest gameplay?
Old 10-19-2015, 06:06 AM
Fire Giant

I am astonished that EQ uses more bandwidth than the newer MMOs. When it came out i was playing it with my 64k baud modem without a problem. But since the client is more recent, maybe it uses up more bandwidth now.

In an MMO bandwidth is used to inform your client of the world state. In case of EQ it only needs the zone state. So if you are in zones with low population the used bandwidth should go down. This is just my theory, but its logical.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Planar Protector

It all depends on what you're doing. If you're sitting in EC, you'll use more bandwidth. If you raid, you'll use more. If you're sitting in Lake Rathe soloing one guard, you'll use quite a bit less. If you play a necro and just solo in less populated places, you won't use much bandwidth at all.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I was on my Iksar monk at the time in the Field of Bone. I thought I would bring it up, because I have spent alot of time watching my bandwidth usage in the past, not only with Everquest, but on a number of MMORPGs. It stood out and seemed odd in my mind. I recently started on Nostalrius Begins PvE server(WoW). The bandwidth usage there is very high(around 6-10 MB/hour) on a server that is highly populated. WoW is usually 3-4 MB/hour. Guild Wars retail 3-4 MB/hour. Bandwidth on Everquest (p1999) is comparable to a WoW private server with very high population, and lots of other players within my vicinity.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Sarnak

FoB is a very busy zone. It is popular with players and has seemingly hundreds of Mob's wandering around.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM
VIP / Contributor

I like enjoying things I've done in the past also, but playing eq on an AOL account that's metered is going too far in today's age.