Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 PM
Aviak

Question Is there a way to open the .s3d files?

I've asked this before, but kept getting pointed to programs such as S3dspy and the like, but all that did was help me extract the textures. That would be fine if that was my goal, but it isn't. So before any helpful individual (and the odd snippy one that is no doubt trolling about) decides to point me to something like that, I'll try to nip it in the bud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

I am NOT after a program that simply lets me extract the BMP textures. I want to open the actual 3D model itself in a program such as Blender.

Is there a way to do this? I've done some digging but haven't found anything useful.

Thanks in advance! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

You'll have to first extract model data from the character S3Ds and if necessary convert to a format readable by Blender. I've never delved into model editing but it looks like Zaela made a utility specifically for this purpose called S3D Model Extracter, which you'll need to compile in Visual Studio.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the link, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get past the errors when trying to compile. After tracking down the necessary libraries, I then ended up with a truck load of unresolved external symbol errors and I don't know about the thought process behind the creator to figure out what was meant to do what and where. It would have been nice if the developer had simply left an EXE file available for download to be used. I often run into this problem when trying to compile others' projects. They have things set up a very specific way when developing their program which are not not set up in my Visual Studio.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

modifying game files is against the rules :|
Old 01-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Aviak

Was wondering when the "snippy" person would show up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. First, what I'm looking to do will not break any rules. It is for my own curiosity. Second, if your incredibly unhelpful and therefore unnecessary comment were true, no one could edit the Launch Titanium file to even start the game, edit UI files, patch textures for transparent helm visors, replace the loading screen image, etc.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Planar Protector

I have performed some interweb necromancy and resurrected an ancient program called Kaiyodo's EQ Model Viewer: https://web.archive.org/web/20160325...eConverter.zip

Will let you extract model data in MAXScript, POV, and OBJ.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Here's a pretty creative use of the EQ models: http://toddfx.com/eq_bands.html
Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the link! Definitely some high level interweb necromancy LOL. I tinkered around with it a bit last night and managed to extract a simple untextured wagon object from West Freeport. It is a start! Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about working with 3D models which is no doubt the cause of some of my issues below. This will definitely be a learning process for me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

So far, I haven't been able to do anything with the extracted objects in Blender, but I have been able to open them in other apps such as 3D Builder and 3D Viewer.

I'm having some issues trying to do an entire zone. When I extract the entire West Freeport zone and open it in either 3D Builder or 3D Viewer, it seems to be a jumbled mess of untextured polygons.

I'm going to keep poking around and learn as I go. But if anyone has the know-how and patience to help a total newbie with some pointers, I'll be incredibly grateful [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

EDIT: My goal is to hopefully be able to take a zone file, such as freportw.s3d, and open it up in another program (such as Blender) with everything properly placed and fully textured, and start poking around.

And that video was AWESOME! Something like that wasn't what I had in mind when I decided to start poking around these 3D models, but that might have to change LOL.
Last edited by Wolfshead Sky; 01-03-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Old 01-03-2019, 06:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's a pretty creative use of the EQ models: http://toddfx.com/eq_bands.html
This is one of the best things I think I've ever seen.

-Mcoy
Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Planar Protector

I've had some success extracting zones using Zaela's EQG Zone Importer to import zone EQGs, convert to OBJ, and then import into Blender. You can also use this utility to convert S3Ds to EQG and then follow the same process.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-03-2019 at 11:34 PM..