Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Sarnak

Default EQClassic

WTF happened to it?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Yeahlight(?) pulled the plug... if you can say there was a plug to pull. The project was lacking developers and people with the time to spend on it I think (not to mention Project 1999 had gone from strength to strength since EQclassic was created).
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Yeahlight wanted SOE's consent to disseminate their IP and the request was denied. Yeahlight did not want a custom content server and refused to share SOE IP "illegally" and was getting busy, so Yeahlight stepped back from the project. Yeahlight caught a ton of flak for "giving up", so Yeahlight handed the reigns over to Haraki and walked away.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you can say there was a plug to pull.
progress was definitely made or atleast the alpha i got to play on looked promising enough was nice to actually see classic stuff like the reverse camera angle inside inventory,classic server/character select stuff we will prolly never have here
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

That UI. So classic.

Would love if P99 could work on that client and everyone needed that UI to play.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Banned

they would have to do what EQC did i think, and use the trilogy client not titanium and their own loginserver not the eqemulator one
Old 04-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

EQclassic was my first exposure to EQ emulation. I went to their forums. They seemed more cautious and tighter. Later I found Project 1999 and never looked back. I think EQclassic was in over their head. Maybe Yeaylight did walk away because he/she wanted a legal IP, but I think it was a combination of taking on too much and not having the ability to follow through. P1999, on the other hand, kept its sights lower by using hte Titanium client. I think that's what eventually led to its larger community and, hence, larger access to skill/donations/etc. I don't know the exact details, but I think ti's related to eqemu already working with Titanium.

I will admit I stopped paying at p1999 because hte legality of it weighed on my mind. Say all you want, but it's illegal to use the client to connect to non-company servers. I bought Titanium in 2007, but doesn't make it legal. Ya, I'm guilty of playing for a while, so I'm not innocent.

On a lighter side, Brad McQuaid, as well as many others, including a developer on Crowfall, have referenced p1999 in their interviews. So despite not being officially legal, I doubt the company will ever pursue it.

However, I'd be much more concerned about eqemu in general, not just p1999. But anyway, since we're likely not to see anything, whatever. I know I won't ever come back to all this again. I only miss p1999. It's so professional. I played on live for a while and had some fun. I play other games now.

I recommend Wurm Online for those who like sandboxxes. It's like EQ in some ways. It has corpse runs and its map doesn't have GPS. It feels like old eq. It's not trying to be a cartoony game either. Ya I know it's a sandbox and not really PvE. The fun comes mostly from the players and building sand castles.

And ya you can play on live EQ servers for free... and still experience things fully up to about 75 or 80. Beyond that and things start to become iffy. And the mercenaries aren't as good. You can technically level up to 95 or so free, but you'll probably want a sub to fully use everything. I know it's not like p1999, but I played on live recently and it's still fun to reexperience old zones (or new ones like TSS or SOD zones). And it's legal.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 04-22-2015 at 01:45 PM..
Old 04-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Banned

man... wurm online last time i played that was back in 09 was like one of three champions of Libila of HotS on the pvp server.
champs had permadeath 3 lives so i basically never left our castle until i ended up selling the account

heard they have made alot of improvements to it over the years
Old 04-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
progress was definitely made or atleast the alpha i got to play on looked promising enough was nice to actually see classic stuff like the reverse camera angle inside inventory,classic server/character select stuff we will prolly never have here
Wow these photos are epic!

So, is anything going to happen or have they given up altogether?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Banned

no idea, pretty sure its a pipedream at this point only like one dude working on it and i assume alot of bugs still

Last edited by Tongpow; 04-22-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Closed Thread