Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We can talk about how OP Enchanters are or not all we want. The point is, they reflect what the class was on live. The goal of the server is to try and reflect how each class and mechanic was on live during the classic era. The point of the server is not to say "Wellllll achhhtually Enchanters were OP and they were never balanced but in my opinion they should have been so we should arbitrarily nerf them here because of that!"

If we want to make that the standard, then I guess we better open up like a million other things for peoples' personal opinions to be used to modify. For example, I think hybrids having snap aggro is cheesey and cheap and holding aggro as a tank should be more difficult, so nerf that please. What about Shamans and Canni; that's essentially a manastone-like ability and the devs stopped that from dropping and limited it to old world only, so Canni should either be removed or limited to old world only please. What about Rangers; AAs were implemented in later expansions to make them much better because the devs thought they were too weak from a balance perspective in the classic era, so add those changes to Rangers please since the standard is now what the devs did later on or what we think they would have done. What about Iksar regen and AC boost; back in the day there weren't nearly as many Iksars but sooo many people roll Iksar now to min/max for the relevant classes, so nerf Iksars please to create more of a "classic atmosphere."

It's just the dumbest argument I've seen on these forums in a long time and the only reason people are making it is because they're mad they can't find any legitimate evidence to try and force a change.
Noone is asking for a standard of altering the game. We're talking specifically about how charming as it is right now changes the whole landscape of the game into something that doesn't even resemble classic EQ. A dungeon split into enchanter/ enchanter support camp 1/2/3. It's a charm centric PvE environment in most places of value, which just is not classic. Did not happen = not classic.

If all of your hypothetical proposed nerfs were done, it wouldn't come close to changing the environment the way charmquest negatively affects the game.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 PM
Planar Protector

Your shitty memory from 20 years ago isnt evidence

Sorry not sorry
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you just completely not read my entire point about all of us Shaman knowing how to Cann-dance back then?
What a joke response because you feel insulted. Yes dude, I can't read you fucking nailed it
Old 11-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

there have been a few charm guides dug up and posted here suggesting, with various degrees of interpretative nuance, that charm worked pretty much the same way on classic live

it wasn't easy though, and so most people never tried it. or even thought to. yes, the community did get better at sharing information and tactics over decades of emulation and tlp's. that's not an unreasonable assertion. whether people did charm killing (or bard kiting, for another related example) or not on a mass scale in year 1999 or 200x is something we can debate anecdotally, but imo it does not have a significant impact on the debate over MR rates, etc, which I think is the more important topic, and the one demanding numerical evidence that has so far been pretty much out of reach
Last edited by bubur; 11-20-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do your research, get some evidence, THEN post mate
Frozen Moses charm tanking AoW was very reliable on a long, critical fight. I'm sorry. You could get 255 CHA before Velious.

Oh and btw

Who posted:
Quote:
Tecmos Deception 33
Bazia 25
cd288 23
kul69 22
strawman 22
bwe 18
Dolalin 17
Ligma 16
bum3 14
Buellen 13
nicemace 12
Mushman 12
Nirgon 10
sentinel 10
Wurl 9
loramin 9
bubur 9
Rooj 8
derpcake2 7
Izmael 7
A1551 7
Vexenu 7
Fammaden 6
Vizax_Xaziv 6
Swish 5
DMN 5
byzah 4
Frug 4
jacob54311 4
mycoolrausch 4
Meiva 3
enjchanter 3
keithjinternet 3
kjs86z 3
Not_Mikeo 3
korzax 3
fadetree 3
Mercius 3
azeth 3
Lojik 3
lordpazuzu 3
ArunaGreen 3
Donkey Hotay 3
slowpoke68 2
Danth 2
Videri 2
Obrae 2
Vormotus 2
Frostback 2
Morratiz 2
Zeboim 2
oldhead 2
TheDudeAbides 2
zodium 1
Wwen42 1
Hroth 1
worm4real 1
One Tin Soldier 1
Neric 1
Nomy 1
TripleBoc 1
Man0warr 1
Cen 1
r34m 1
Gatorsmash 1
Lhord99 1
stakka 1
Juntsie 1
turbosilk 1
Onadan 1
Deliverator 1
Aeaolena 1
Zill 1
Polixa 1
Ferahgo 1
Madbad 1
ygagarine 1
Lone Gnome 1
blanks77 1
senna 1
Tist 1
Seungkyu 1
gnomishfirework 1
Tethler 1
Solist 1
Jimjam 1
rabids 1
Khorza 1
TheRusty 1
Cuktus 1
mystiek 1
aaezil 1
gkmarino 1
Tilien 1
Hokojin 1
winter888 1
lesell 1
GnomeCaptain 1
Widan 1
Darkslide632 1
d-tron 1
we about even on posts bud, take ur own advice... ps- its over
Last edited by Nirgon; 11-20-2019 at 08:02 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 PM
Planar Protector

yeah it does seem at least by velious, charm is remembered by many in the raid scene. could it have been used for leveling at that time? i bet it was

my main take away from this thread tho is man, how people can get defensive over being told we didn't know a strat in 1999. calm down. i'm not questioning your intelligence directly

it's not totally unrealistic that in the 12 months of classic, it didn't yet come to pass that people meta-gamed to figure out the charm kit, best gear, and easiest charm locations, then share that information to the broader community to be mimicked and repeated en masse. people might have done it and didn't compile and share the strats, because not everyone lived on usenet or everlore

on a related note, couldnt a lv 50 necromancer charm mobs in pofear and kill ct by himself or some crazy shiz? wouldnt that pretty much demonstrate that charm may have been even MORE broken in vanilla?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nobody did that you can see your own resist
I promise you that they did.

There was all sorts of stuff that people believed about stats - bolstered in part by very real stat effects that didn't get mentioned in character creation - such as the AC penalty from having below 75 Agility.

Some of those beliefs:
• High Charisma increased faction gains
• Low charisma boosted the effectiveness of Fear and charm undead spells
• Dexterity had an impact on fizzle / missed note chance
• High Intelligence or Wisdom increased chances of hitting max damage nukes on int / wis classes respectively
• Strength affected jump height
• Agility affected run speed
• Intelligence affected experience gain (thus why ogres and trolls leveled so slowly - back before we knew about the racial and class XP penalties!)

Along with other strange urban legends like...
• Light sources increased your aggro radius
• Sitting in water made you regen mana faster
• Food and drink could spoil, and the cheaper the item the faster the spoilage
• Blunt / piercing / slashing damage followed the same damage resistances as in D&D
• There were "secret zones" that only appeared on certain days or after certain quests (but no one knew where, exactly...)

People hadn't sifted through everything in the game yet. There was a lot of stuff that people didn't know (like... how much mana or XP you had) and there was a ton of rumor, make-believe, assumption, and hearsay.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah it does seem at least by velious, charm is remembered by many in the raid scene. could it have been used for leveling at that time? i bet it was

my main take away from this thread tho is man, how people can get defensive over being told we didn't know a strat in 1999. calm down. i'm not questioning your intelligence directly

it's not totally unrealistic that in the 12 months of classic, it didn't yet come to pass that people meta-gamed to figure out the charm kit, best gear, and easiest charm locations, then share that information to the broader community to be mimicked and repeated en masse. people might have done it and didn't compile and share the strats, because not everyone lived on usenet or everlore

on a related note, couldnt a lv 50 necromancer charm mobs in pofear and kill ct by himself or some crazy shiz? wouldnt that pretty much demonstrate that charm may have been even MORE broken in vanilla?

Charm was used by Velious because of things like flowing thought and insanely better gear compared to classic. Enchanters didn't die in 3 hits from their charmed mobs anymore, etc. Like I said it comes back to things being "off" in general on P99. Channeling is one of the best examples that I think everyone can admit is broken compared to classic when you're lower level. It was shown earlier that CHA should not be used for Charm break checks past initial cast. Who knows if it's being doing or not for P99. It is a lot of nuance to the game that has been lost on eqemu and has clearly resulted in Enchanter being overpowered.

It has nothing to do with remembering wrong or people learning the game better or anything else. P99 is not 100% accurate and Enchanter charm is still "off" especially from level 1-40. I could see 40+ Enchanters having the kind of charm control we see on P99. The problem is that level of control comes at level 12 on P99 as soon as they get the spell.

There is a thread about the odd behavior of the RNG on P99. This plays into it as well. It's a combination of a ton of tiny inconsistencies that is producing this hoard of Enchanters and it is entirely specific to P99. There is a reason that even during Velious you didn't see 1/4 of the server playing Enchanter. It has gotten absurd here. Everyone knows Enchanter is over powered regardless of if it was like that in classic or not. It's no different than Necro would be if it was left classic. The only difference is Necro actually was that overpowered and Enchanter wasn't but it is on P99.

Doesn't change that both Necro and Enchanter need to be nerfed to not result in an army of Necro/Enchanter alts monopolizing everything. Necro is done. Now it's Enchanters turn. Besids it might also break up the stale P99 raid scene that also heavily abuses charm. We all know as soon as Fear/Hate go in they'll be cleared same day and there will be an army of charmed pets doing the DPS to clear it in an hour or two. Trivialized content. Loot treadmill.

Melees will line up to help clear and sit in a corner crying as charmed pets make their contributions laughable. I already see it all the time in the groups I'm in and I am not playing a melee. Melees feel totally useless in the face of Enchanter pets and are often seen as worse than just not having a melee to get in the way and require healing. Melees are only welcomed if the pet has backstab so that the pet DPS is even more overwhelming overpowered and trivializing.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Banned

p sure charm was always OP
wasn’t charm nerfed for VeliouS encounter mob during live era
i forget, wasn’t much of a raider then
Old 11-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

i dono kul, you seem too emotionally invested in this. enc at lv 12 here without gear arent the total babe magnets youre making them out to be
Closed Thread