Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:24 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to EQ culture, broad etiquette discussion

Hi. I've played other MMOs before, and so I realize that the good ones (older ones) are communities, and all communities develop their own standards and taboos. Now I understand the rules of play are printed for all to read, but I was hoping that people could share tidbits that could help anyone, such as myself, who's just fallen right into this big ol' RPG world.

I'll cite another game I played as an example. I played Final Fantasy 11, and in that game it was common practice to shout out for a resurrect if a fellow party member died with the hopes that someone within the zone had that capacity. The person with rez would send a tell if they were willing to help asking where the dead player was. It was common, and a please and thank you were all that were required. And it was always ok to run up to someone and ask for any kind of spell that simply required a keystroke, because it simply required a keystroke. No one was asking if they could crash on your couch.

So, with constructive civility in mind, could anyone who's been around the block bring up any pet peeves they may harbor or common courtesies they appreciate. It's already daunting enough to travel the world and learn the camps as well as the classes (in a very good way as long as you have patience and the slightest sense of adventure), let alone knowing how to behave without accidentally aggravating the people who roam the same world as you. I figure this might not only be interesting to newer folks, but to veterans as well. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Sarnak

While I don't have the time or the inclination to write out a list of pet peeves or dos and do nots, I will address two of the things you mentioned and perhaps a few other things, very briefly.

As far as the resurrection goes, it is fairly common for someone to shout that they need a resurrection, but due to the time constraints, or the ability to keep camps going, a busy cleric isn't usually going to come and resurrect you for a please and thank you, you'll need to pay (that is not to say that some wont do it for free, they will).

Clickie spells: It is the most common thing in the world for someone to ask for a SOW or C, and it is not looked upon at all. Just be polite about it.

General rule of thumb: Don't be a douche, don't KS, if someone has an area camped don't pull from their camp, and for godsakes, don't use /ooc for /auction.

Have fun
Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

"donating for a port to (wherever)" is more likely to get you places than "anyone porting?"

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Sarnak

As a porter, as a general rule of thumb, I will always port noobs for free (if they are obvious noobs) but swish is right, you will catch more bees with honey (plat) than you will with vinegar (no plat).
Old 12-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Aviak

Just a few off the top of my head,...

1) Try to avoid running up to people and inspecting them without asking. Some people mind.

2) As said above, when asking for ports, rez, or really anything, it's best to send someone a tell directly. People are MUCH more likely to help you when asked directly.

3) EQ players deal with a lot of shit from the game itself. This means we tend to be a hardy bunch of do-it-ourselfers (is that a word?!). You're much more likely to get respect (in general and) when asking for help, if you've already tried to take care of it yourself.

4) Try not to overcall "CC's" (camp checks). I personally only do it as a last resort. If you want to see if something is camped, go check yourself. If you've done one, don't do another for at least an hour or two.

5) Never leave a group with very little or no notice. Especially as you get to high levels, people are making an investment in inviting you. You're expected to stay for a decent amount of time and to warn them if you're planning to leave. This gives them time to find a replacement, etc. (<Very important for healers and tanks)

6) Respect camps and such. No item is worth stealing someone's kill and risking a ban or a bad rep. If someone is camping a spot that you go to a lot, make friends with them. Try to see when they're leaving and ask if you can take over when they leave.

7) Buff newbs and people you run by or encounter at camps you're checking out if you have mana. This goes a long way in making people deal with you in a more favorable fashion.

8) Try to announce trains to zone if you can. If unable to and its a forked type zone, with both left and right side zone outs, make sure you always train right. The left side zone out is usually where people zone in and LFG, med up, etc.

9) People here can be a bit greedy sometimes, and it is the general practice to greed roll on everything. Don't expect someone to give you a spell or drop just because you need it. Ask politely, but be ok with them refusing. On the flip side, I've made many good friends from letting someone have something they need. This is just playstyle based and varies person to person.

10) When in a group, don't just loot as many mobs as you can. Some classes have an easier time looting than others. Try to take what you feel is your fair share. If you notice that you're getting lucky and all the corpses you loot have the good shit on them, give one of the gems or something to someone that hasn't gotten much.

There's a lot more stuff,... I'll edit and add more at some point. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanredux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
4) Try not to overcall "CC's" (camp checks). I personally only do it as a last resort. If you want to see if something is camped, go check yourself. If you've done one, don't do another for at least an hour or two.
Sebilis is well known for people CC'ing every 2 minutes, but its a place where there's a lot of people wanting to bring their own guild groups and such.

Also, be a pal and answer a camp check. Pixel campers are notorious for killing their spawn and going afk for 20 minutes, so if its a pixel camp you might have to head down there to be sure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanredux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
8) Try to announce trains to zone if you can. If unable to and its a forked type zone, with both left and right side zone outs, make sure you always train right. The left side zone out is usually where people zone in and LFG, med up, etc.
This threw me on P99 at first, we always trained left on my old server. Here you "zone right in and zone right out"
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome! Make sure to head to East Commonlands tunnel. Lots of buffs for levels 1-20. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Planar Protector

Broad etiquette lol
Old 12-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Sarnak

Honestly, just be polite. I've found that the community here is generally very helpful, and asking nicely (and going out of your way to help when asked) can only bring good results. Ask higher ups if you can have a moment of their time to ask a few questions about your class, a zone, whatever. Say please when you ask for a rez or a port or a buff. For rezzes and ports it tends to be customary to tip... but this game is about the people. Be nice and you'll be rewarded!

Also, if you're asking the zone for some help - I'd recommend /ooc over /shout.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Kobold

Quote:
2) As said above, when asking for ports, rez, or really anything, it's best to send someone a tell directly. People are MUCH more likely to help you when asked directly.
Be careful with this one. Especially if you are not donating for the services you are requesting. In general, EQ people are pretty harsh towards those who are just looking for handouts. That being said, the EQ community is also very supportive of those genuinely in need of help as long as they are being reasonable and polite about it.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people sending me /tells directly begging for free buffs and ports. Just because I play a class that is capable of buffing and porting doesn't mean I live to run around buffing and porting all day, and most of us get harassed with /tells way more often than we care for.
Closed Thread