Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woe1988 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sound bias, Sir. Haha

Not biased, just educated. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I admitted that Enc/Enc/Cler would be stronger in end-game.

But for leveling, Druid adds a TON of utility that is extremely useful in a trio charming group. SoW, snare, root, DS, ports/evacs.

If you go dual Enc you are optimizing your group for a very specific and narrow purpose of farming high-end drops.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

An Enchanter is a DAMN hard class to play period, let alone for someone new. Maybe a Mage. I have never been too fond of 2 Enchanters in a group. Other than DPS with charmed pet it is a waste of a slot. A good Enchanter can do it all. A new one can't do crap. Who is going to pull?, who is going to tank? With no gear a inexperienced Chanter will die in a heartbeat. Get a Monk. End of story.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Sarnak

I warned my buddies that enchanter would be hard. If neither of them wanted to play chanter, I probably would have.

I like the idea of cleric - ench - SK or druid - ench - pally. Generally I'd prefer SK as a tank with a snare, but pally stuns seem like they'd be helpful vs casters, SK dots create problems with enchanter CC, and druids bring a lot of utility to the table for a group with limited play time.

I dont think my friend will have a hard time learning to charm, eventually. I mean, everybody learns somehow, right? I doubt I'd learn much faster just because I've played an epic shaman. But if her charming causes problems, what are we left with? Well, for priest - tank - chanter, we're left with the core of a good group. We can pick up 1 or more melees to compensate for the loss of pet damage. The enchanter can still cc, haste, and clarity, which is plenty of help.

I really like the idea of chanter + mage/necro + cleric/druid. Some thoughts: if the enchanter doesn't charm, we're down to basically just the damage of a solo mage/necro, with a crap-ton of support. We'd want more dps, which means another pet user, or a melee dps + tank class. If the enchanter does charm, would a mage earth pet be a suitable substitute to a snarer, or would it just constantly get resisted?

I don't like the idea of druid - cleric - enchanter. As part of a larger group, I would wish the druid was something else. If the enchanter can't charm effectively, where's our dps?

As far as priest classes go, I think shaman is the worst choice (but again, im letting them choose what they play). Don't get me wrong, with my epic my 57 feels super powerful, and I know with Torpor I'd be 100x as strong, but I can't help but feel the druid or cleric bring more as a main healer. The enchanter can do the hasting. Druid brings occasional charm, ports, evacs, and still has SoW and regen (albeit at later levels). Cleric gets CH and rez (eventually) and nice hp buffs. I'd much rather do cleric-ench-shm than cleric-ench-druid, but still would be worried that in situations where the enchanter can't safely charm, we'd be really short on dps.

Here's a thought: Bard... Would bard - ench - priest work well?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Decaying Skeleton

My favorite duo is Shaman/Monk, I see no reason you couldn't add an Enchanter to that and do just fine. Monk can tank shaman-slowed mobs all day with good damage as well as FD split-pull to make breaking tougher camps easier and you wont have to rely 100% on the enchanters skill. Charming will definitely make a boost in your clearing output but won't be necessary to succeed, only problem I see is that Shaman will have a harder time keeping the enchanter up when things go bad than a cleric (and monk will have a harder time peeling without agro proc weapons), but nothing that isnt solved with some applications of stun, root or memory blur etc. No doubt having a cleric + war/pal/shd would be better in terms of being a group starter though, but less effective as a 3-man group I think when you probably wont be pulling fast enough to need a clerics healing output.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An Enchanter is a DAMN hard class to play period, let alone for someone new. Maybe a Mage. I have never been too fond of 2 Enchanters in a group. Other than DPS with charmed pet it is a waste of a slot. A good Enchanter can do it all. A new one can't do crap. Who is going to pull?, who is going to tank? With no gear a inexperienced Chanter will die in a heartbeat. Get a Monk. End of story.
A. The new player will have access to a veteran player for tips.

B. Not all new players were necessarily dropped as babies.

C. Why waste time on a mage in a TRIO that is likely going to be charming for dps. Mage pet will always be attacked over the charm. Inefficient.

D. They want to level as a trio. Why carry two other dopes around when the 3 of you are carrying the group. (Low levels excluded)

E. You will never out DPS a charmed pet unless you are dumping your mana bar or popping discs. A charmed pet can level Tokyo faster than that dumb lizard ever could.

F. Monks are good, better in Velious, but the true efficiency of Ench/Clr comes from the massive HP of charmed mobs. 400m to heal something like 8k is much better than 400m going to heal 3k. (Don't quote me on mob HP, but its sure as hell higher than a Monk)

G. The story never ends.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

I will agree with your points. But I play mostly casters and casters NEED to Med. Ergo, sit on their butts. They don't have time to pull, tank etc. etc. You NEED a Melee in a group. It could be a Mage Fire pet. They have one hell of a lot more DPS than a Pally I can tell you that.

And to answer the OP's question, yes now in the latest patches, a Earth pet does hold agro pretty well now, but so does the Fire pet which is better DPS wise. But do not use Earth Pet if you have a true Melee in the group, use Air pet. Let the Tank move the mob not have Earth root it where you might not want it to be. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Kobold

I like Enchanter, Pally, Druid. Not the most raw power but you have everything you need, CC, tankage, heals, snares, travel.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Sarnak

I thought up enchanter/pally/druid yesterday evening and really like it. When I'm not around, my friends can duo as enchanter/druid. They'll have quick and cheap travel and powerful duo leveling. When I am around, we can trio or pick up more dps for dungeons. As a paladin, I'll be able to pull, tank, and use stun/blind to help keep the enchanter alive on charm breaks. From 46 on, I'll be able to help a little to reduce downtime with free clicky heals. I'd love to play a puller to better learn the layout of dungeons! Also, I'm primarily concerned with our trio's power in the early to mid levels, since a)if we're too weak my friends might get bored and quit and b)once they hit 50s I can always switch over to my shaman. Early and mid levels should feel entirely OP with paladin using sword of skyfire then baton of faith and some 5/55 rings, all of which I've already got laying around. The simple velious 'epic' for tunare half elf pally also greatly appeals to me.

I'm guessing that in late game camps a druid-ench-shaman (my shm) would absolutely own, especially if I ever get torpor.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Sarnak

I have a 17 clr im currently working up msg Temporarily if u need me to heal a dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Dont forget im damaged goods now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Nobody is perfect, including the staff.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Aviak

Shaman/Monk/Enchanter is a great combination. Three of the most powerful classes in the game. You'd have pulling, tanking, healing, crowd control, dps all covered pretty well. That trio could handle most camps all the way up to 60.

As far as zones go, I'd just try out as many zones as you can, including dungeons. Experience the game rather than sit in the easy outdoor zones and slow grind.
Closed Thread