Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Kobold

Default Rogue Partner

My friend just started playing on P99 and made a Rogue.

We want to play together so I was trying to figure out some decent classes to duo with a Rogue.

I currently play a Necromancer and my first instinct was to power level him the best I can up to my level and then group together with the snare + fear + backstab combo. I figured this was a decent combo since I can throw heals at him, give him open backstabs and with my mana efficiency and his lack of mana downtime would be minimal.

I did some research on the forums and wiki and another option that came up was making a Bard to play with him. I'm not quite sure how this duo works, I assume it is with a bard fear song + bard buffs but it seems sketchy.

I also heard shaman was an option but I threw that away since it isn't a class I favor.

Any suggestions? Is my train of thought with Necro + Rogue correct?

Perhaps Monk + Rogue since both classes have a fear and the dps would make downtime minimal?
Old 12-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscript [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is my train of thought with Necro + Rogue correct?
yeah. it may be a little boring for him but he did choose to play a rogue. he'll essentially be acting as a really high dps pet.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Kobold

I did initially try to counter-suggest a Monk. Slightly lower dps than a Rogue but a little bit more active than just backstab.

He's just happy that he found a game where Rogue's are actually wanted in groups
Old 12-13-2014, 01:56 AM
Kobold

Anything that can kite or fear will be a fantastic partner for a rogue. Druid and Necro are the obvious choices, but you can make do with Ranger, SK, Bard, Wizard (29+ for snare).

Monk + Rogue would suck phallus as a duo unless you both have fungi's. Even with that, at level 40+ when intimidate starts to become reliable, you'd get sick of chasing around un-snared feared mobs real fast.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscript [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did initially try to counter-suggest a Monk. Slightly lower dps than a Rogue but a little bit more active than just backstab.
There's a little more to being a rogue than backstab. Good aggro-management is important, so rogues will be evading and repositioning (you want to stay behind the target even when you are not backstabbing) in combat, scouting out of combat, plus a rogue can waltz right through just about any zone with Hide/Sneak on.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 AM
Planar Protector

Play what you love but starting off as a true noob duo of nec rog will be rough on the rogue.

try nec/mag or nec/enc. teeehee
Old 12-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Nec+rogue is the way to go IMO. It seems like the most powerful rogue duo by far. Charm undead, fear kite, and vacuum up that EXP like a boss.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Kobold

druid + rog combo is very nice
Old 12-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nec+rogue is the way to go IMO. It seems like the most powerful rogue duo by far. Charm undead, fear kite, and vacuum up that EXP like a boss.
I would argue that charming while duoing with a rogue will slow down exp a LOT unless the rogue is basically naked gear-wise. Takes too much mana and breaks mess with pulls.

If the rogue has a decent backstabber and some haste, dru or necro basically doing nothing but chain pulling/kiting/fearing is the way to go. I did 40-47 on my rogue in 2 days doing this with a druid. Best exp I've ever gotten on any class by far. That being said, my rogue has his epic.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would argue that charming while duoing with a rogue will slow down exp a LOT unless the rogue is basically naked gear-wise. Takes too much mana and breaks mess with pulls.

If the rogue has a decent backstabber and some haste, dru or necro basically doing nothing but chain pulling/kiting/fearing is the way to go. I did 40-47 on my rogue in 2 days doing this with a druid. Best exp I've ever gotten on any class by far. That being said, my rogue has his epic.
I dunno, I'm skeptical. Charmed pet DPS is huge. If you're smart about charming mobs of appropriate level, you shouldn't be dealing with a ton of charm breaks. I don't see why mana would be a huge issue for a necro, either. Lich form gives a lot of mana, and pulling/fearing/snaring does not use much. If you spend any mana on DoTs, you're better off spending that mana on a charmed pet.

I think a lot of people play charm classes without charming much and they don't appreciate how powerful charm really is. It's an incredible tool.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Closed Thread