Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 10:01 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it adjusts for race and class penalty why did I have a level 31 caster, 4 other characters, and a level 31 Ogre warrior with the mob level at 30 and both having zero percent into the level and the amount of kills to level was the same?
Because you don't understand how exp is distributed. You get a percentage of group exp based on the total numerical exp you have obtained divided by the group's total exp gained. Therefore, if it took you more exp to get to that level, then you will be taking a higher percentage of the group exp.

This means that the exp penalties even out in terms of NUMBER of kills. But you are taking a higher % of the group exp, which means it requires more actual numerical exp to level.

What you want to do put up a single character and see how many kills it takes. A human shadowknight will require 40% more exp (and therefore kills) solo than a human cleric of the same level solo.
Last edited by Serendib; 07-01-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Old 07-01-2020, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendib [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because you don't understand how exp is distributed. You get a percentage of group exp based on the total numerical exp you have obtained divided by the group's total exp gained. Therefore, if it took you more exp to get to that level, then you will be taking a higher percentage of the group exp.

This means that the exp penalties even out in terms of NUMBER of kills. But you are taking a higher % of the group exp, which means it requires more actual numerical exp to level.

What you want to do put up a single character and see how many kills it takes. A human shadowknight will require 40% more exp (and therefore kills) solo than a human cleric of the same level solo.
Hmm interesting
Old 07-02-2020, 01:37 AM
Aviak

Update: You can now copy a URL to share of the group you've input into the calculator. Here's an example:

http://www.cs.mun.ca/~dchurchill/htm...11495509024578
Last edited by Serendib; 07-02-2020 at 01:40 AM..
Old 07-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Aviak

I'm pretty sure there are xp bonuses from adding group members? I am recalling values like adding a 5th person applies a multiplier of 1.1, adding a 6th person increases the multiplier to 1.2, etc.

That's from memory, which may not be accurate or even true, but I do seem to recall that.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:46 AM
Large Bat

Awesome. Sweet work!
Old 07-02-2020, 10:54 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewjax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure there are xp bonuses from adding group members? I am recalling values like adding a 5th person applies a multiplier of 1.1, adding a 6th person increases the multiplier to 1.2, etc.

That's from memory, which may not be accurate or even true, but I do seem to recall that.
You're right, there are. I'm currently adding that functionality [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2020, 11:17 AM
Aviak

I also think the calculator is not doing the group exp sharing math correctly.

The classic model for sharing of exp was designed so that friends who group together all the time would gain levels at the same rate.

Simple example:

Level 1 mob kill earns 100 points.

Human/Enchanter needs 1100 points to reach level 2
Human/Shadowknight needs 1400 points to reach level 2

If the enchanter solos, he will need (1100 / 100) = 11 kills. If the SK solos, she will need (1400 / 100) = 14 kills. That part is easy.

But if they group, the exp sharing is different. It is prorated.

Grouped enchanter exp per kill is not 50%, it is (1100)/(1100+1400) = 44%
Grouped SK exp per kill is not 50%, it is (1400)/(1100+1400) = 56%

Kills to ding the chanter to level 2 = 1100/(0.44 * 100) = 25
Kills to ding the SK to level 2 = 1400/(0.56 * 100) = 25

The result = the two friends both dinged level 2 simultaneously. But the fractional sharing of the exp along the way favored the SK and penalized the enchanter.

Two comments:

1. Yeah, this is true, but in my experience, most people don't really care. Troll SK's may disagree with that and tell stories about all the times they couldn't get a group because people didn't want to pay the penalty to add them. But I've never seen it.

2. I do think this gets patched at some point (Kunark? Velious?) to change the pro-rating math, and my simple example will go back to a 50%/50% share.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewjax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also think the calculator is not doing the group exp sharing math correctly.
It is doing the math correctly, and exactly as your formula states. The sole exception is for level 1 with 0% exp into level. This is because both players at the start have 0 exp, which makes the formula go a little bit wonky. Change the level to 2 or above, and you will see both take the same amount of kills, using the same formula you used.

I haven't come up with an elegant solution to the 0-exp problem for level 1, so I just split it evenly in that edge-case
Old 07-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

I like this. Thanks for making.

Most of the complaints of ppl in this thread are from not understanding how the system worked in the first place...so they just surprised to see it in numbers for the 1st time.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendib [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is doing the math correctly, and exactly as your formula states. The sole exception is for level 1 with 0% exp into level.
Oh very cool.
Closed Thread