Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Aviak

Default Hosting a new server..?

This has obviously been beat to death. But with the population of R99 below 100 daily and amount of plat/items being amassed by few increasing daily on P99 it begs the question.

How much would hosting a new server cost Rogean and crew? I mean, if people are willing to go out and spend 100's of dollars on plat through RMT, who's to say they wouldn't be willing to donate towards a fresh start and a refreshed timeline towards Velious. What has been built over the last 4 years has been nothing short of incredible. What has been done has been attempted and dreamed of by many and was finally accomplished here. But, with the stall of Velious and originally Kunark things have bottlenecked and created something very, well, not classic?

So, what would it cost? I am in the ewaste business and carry a fairly large amount of old/used server, networking equipment etc. What is necessary? Is it worth doing it? Is there enough interest in it?

Just trying to focus the conversation a bit on something that is more realistic than a wipe. Take the financial burden off the Devs and place it squarely on the players. Enough moaning and groaning.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

Hi I'm from Red but I use to play here on blue before things got kinda crazy.

If the blue server folks would like a new server. I would love to see them get a new server. A fresh start is always great. I think blue has enough people to potentially support another server and there would be great competition while people got their first 60's again.

The journey is whats fun. And new servers are the best for that =)
Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Aviak

I lost count how many times Sony released new servers giving people the opportunity to "start over". The only difference being no progression. It was jumping into a server that was already in Kunark, Velious, SoL, PoP, etc.

It's obviously unfair to put this burden on the team that has given us so much. Why not do a kickstarter? Even add in server protection from DDoS.. Do whatever that would be done if it could be done over...
Last edited by Snizatcher; 08-21-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

N8ce2meetu
Old 08-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Fire Giant

I don't think that this is a good idea right now. You will just divide the population of blue and a similar raiding situation would easily arise on blue2. I would rather play on our one amazing server than have two mediocre ones. Just my two cp.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that this is a good idea right now. You will just divide the population of blue and a similar raiding situation would easily arise on blue2. I would rather play on our one amazing server than have two mediocre ones. Just my two cp.
This has to have been considered by SOE when they were contemplating adding new servers. What's so amazing about this experiment (p99 that is) is the population is over 1000 during primetime in the summer. Wait till people come back from summertime. It's pretty incredible considering there isn't a single 2 box on the server ::coughs::.

I would love to see a chart of how the population has ebbed and flowed throughout it's lifetime. But, one would have to guess that EQNext's popularity has had a very positive impact on this servers health. If there ever was a time to consider releasing a new Blue server. It would be now.

Why would either server be mediocre? If you are looking to recapture the experience you had playing EQ over a decade ago, there is nothing better than this. It is an absolutely beautiful thing. Many people are enjoying leveling up now. However, they are being burdened with a lot of negativity that players never had to face all those years ago. End game/Raiding could be obtained by anyone who was willing to put in the time. Now, people are being told don't bother.. it's not worth working towards. A little sad if you ask me.

Run said it best. The journey is what it's all about. However, making it to 50 or 60 always had a purpose. Velious spread the endgame out considerably. Which was great! However, the way the game has bottlenecked and the amount of players at max level Velious is going to end up being more of the same.
Last edited by Snizatcher; 08-21-2013 at 05:17 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Kobold

I would be willing to donate for something like this.

Not that I don't already LOVE the server that we have, but to a certain extent, a lot is monopolized and a certain number of people control the economy due to their insane amount of platinum with the ability to buy/sell on command.

MAIN - Zynfandel Whitewine - Level 26, Iksar Necromancer
Remyx N'Sync - Level 30, Half Elf Bard
Resolve Carpetcleaner - Level 28, Barbarian Shaman
Zyzzyx- Level 13 Dark Elf Enchanter
Shoryu - Level 13 Gnome Wizard
Maokai - Level 6, Wood Elf Druid

I definitely don't have Altitis.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Fire Giant

I think that the population decrease would make the sever mediocre. Instead of a sever with 1000, maybe you would have two with 500. What happens during off hours, maybe 200 a piece? How long would it be before the "hardcore" crowd hit the level cap on a new server? Two days? A week? 99% of the new population would never see a manastone or guise. What exactly are you after?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

Everyone that didn't start on day 1 wants a new server, but there just isn't the population to split people among 3 servers...thanks for flogging this very dead horse...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Feel free to head over to EpicEmu and play there... I'm sure Kegz will blow a fuse and wipe the server at some point.

It might even get out of beta with a bit of luck...
Closed Thread