Nathan Napalm has been steaming it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZPmyd_nmJc
Old 07-22-2022, 09:03 AM
Banned

Pity

Reply.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

I loved Vanguard! It was buggy as hell but I could see Brad's vision. Sucks it didn't get the funding it needed.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 07-22-2022, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pity

Reply.
You're the only one who understands what I'm going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I loved Vanguard! It was buggy as hell but I could see Brad's vision. Sucks it didn't get the funding it needed.
I would argue they were well funded enough if the development had been managed better. I've heard around $20 million. EQ was launched for less than half of that. Today Brad would get $20 million in crowdfunding in a few months.
Last edited by AenorVZ; 07-22-2022 at 03:56 PM..
Old 07-22-2022, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

I was so excited to play druid because druids were so OP in classic EQ when this game came out and the druids SUCKED in vanguard! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-22-2022, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I loved Vanguard! Sucks it didn't get the funding it needed.
It did. Unfortunately the studio was horribly managed and squandered its resources. Then it got more funding before MS washed its hands and sold it to Sony. SOE refused to give them a blank check so it ended up being pushed out as it was, and that was that. So much was broken with that game that I am not convinced Sony's decision was precisely wrong; "fixing" Vanguard would've taken a major effort and dang near a complete re-build. I've seen buggy games before, but I don't think I've ever seen a big-budget game where absolutely everything was broken like it was in VG. It's the poster child for terrible management and shoddy workmanship. It's a pity because there was a good game buried in there underneath the mountain of problems.

I believe the original poster linked the VG emulator that has been operating for quite a few years. It is incomplete and far away from completion; that work on it was started dang near a decade ago, before VG shut down, should speak volumes with respect to the complexity of the subject at hand.

Danth
Old 07-22-2022, 04:38 PM
Banned

Oh the game vanguard? Ya that was a great game. Would have been the successor to wow if not for fates. Was actually very cool game wise. Wish the developers had more of the world finished. What they did have done was superb.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:41 PM
Banned

Vanguard was eventually patched up. And relatively bug free a few months before it shut down. I was super lucky to have bought it earlier and came back to it much later.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It did. Unfortunately the studio was horribly managed and squandered its resources. Then it got more funding before MS washed its hands and sold it to Sony. SOE refused to give them a blank check so it ended up being pushed out as it was, and that was that. So much was broken with that game that I am not convinced Sony's decision was precisely wrong; "fixing" Vanguard would've taken a major effort and dang near a complete re-build. I've seen buggy games before, but I don't think I've ever seen a big-budget game where absolutely everything was broken like it was in VG. It's the poster child for terrible management and shoddy workmanship. It's a pity because there was a good game buried in there underneath the mountain of problems.

I believe the original poster linked the VG emulator that has been operating for quite a few years. It is incomplete and far away from completion; that work on it was started dang near a decade ago, before VG shut down, should speak volumes with respect to the complexity of the subject at hand.

Danth
I loved vanguard. Even with the flaws, I’d play it over any modern MMO I’ve encountered
Old 07-28-2022, 06:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth
The game was pretty much in a pre-alpha stage the day it launched. I was in the "open beta" during the month prior to its release, and the last day they were trying to test out flying mounts, you had like 300 people trying to fly a mount and it would just immediately crash. It was such a frantic mess to get the game out and the forums were livid. So many features were either not included or were hastily tossed together. Within just a day you'd have the diplomacy feature reworked several times just to make the proper texture sizes for the cards and npcs either on top of houses or 300 feet away outside of their designated towns. And this isn't to mention the dreaded optimization. I feel sorry for all the diehard fanatics who fell for Brad's vision (a drug induced one) and would refuse to open their eyes to that disastrous launch, the people who defended how it poorly ran and used the excuse "you need a better PC!" even when you had a relatively new $1600 build. I will admit I kept subscribing for a few months later hoping things would improve, but Sigil immediately bellied up and I knew the game was going into the End of Life ward at SoE. I'll agree, SOE should've just dismissed the offer, I think Smedley did as a favor to Brad since they were friends, but it was a dumb thing to do that just financially injured them further.
I will say it had a great Collectors Edition (which I still own) and the soundtrack for the game had amazing ambience with some great tunes (you can view here). Such a shame it crashed and burned like so many other promises like DNF, Daikatana, Spore ect.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 07-28-2022 at 06:53 PM..