Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Default Is Classic EQ the best MMORPG in the world?

Honest question, I have no idea.

I've briefly tried WoW when it came out, then maybe 1 or 2 mmos since then, I can't even remember the names. Basically they all seemed to suck terribly, compared to pre 2002 EQ. They all were "story on rails", as opposed to the sandbox/openworld Everquest.

Is there something obvious I'm not seeing? This game from 1999 can't possibly be the best in its genre 20 years later, can it?
Old 08-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

well its definitely up to the user, but I think it is [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-15-2020, 07:32 PM
Fire Giant

DAoC is the only other mmo I've played that has a spot in my heart thats anywhere as near and dear as classic EQ. And, like you said, its the sandbox aspect. DAoC endgame was to run around a huge sandbox and pvp vs the other realms. And you could approach that with whatever tactics and group make up you wanted. Thats what made it and this fun imo. Trying to come up with a different way to do the same things. Modern mmo's seem to pigeonhole you into "do it this way".
Old 08-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honest question, I have no idea.

I've briefly tried WoW when it came out, then maybe 1 or 2 mmos since then, I can't even remember the names. Basically they all seemed to suck terribly, compared to pre 2002 EQ. They all were "story on rails", as opposed to the sandbox/openworld Everquest.

Is there something obvious I'm not seeing? This game from 1999 can't possibly be the best in its genre 20 years later, can it?
Blinding nostalgia is what it is.

You really can't say any MMO is objectively the best, but you can say you like one more than the other.

Can't nobody tell you how you think or feel

But if you try to say it has the best mechanics, or the best graphics, or the most stable code, or any objective issues that can be debated, you're going to lose.

So if you like it the most, then sure, it is for you.

From an objective standard, nah mate.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:03 PM
Kobold

EQ is the worst MMOG there is, except all the others. DAoC was good, the only PvP (RvR) MMOG I've enjoyed. Shadowbane was about half fun, half annoying, had fun crafting and character customization, but PvP was too unbalanced for me. WoW is great at what it's designed to be (casual linear quest mill) and not at what it isn't (shared-struggle sandbox). I always chuckle at the irony that World of Warcraft is all about questing while EverQuest is all about slaughtering things.

A slightly tweaked EQ to be more sustainable would be great. I wish I had the time and willpower to hack C++ any more, or I would do it myself...

Edit: Also I can't wait for Jibartik's uni-map UE5 VR client to be finished.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzzzt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A slightly tweaked EQ to be more sustainable would be great.
I'll echo this. I always thought EQ had the best/most interesting class design but WoW had the best world, excepting maybe SWG at launch. I have not played EO or AO to compare but have played DAoC, Aion and a handful of other smaller MMOs.

I wish P99 was open source but I suppose EQEmu is so that's enough. I think the should revert the click nerf, at least partially, because blue badly needs a plat sink of some kind.

I also never understood emulating parts of the timeline that were flawed, i.e. so-called legacy items or other nerfed/removed items or certain bugs and game mechanics. If they so powerful as to create game imbalance, why implement them at all?
Old 08-17-2020, 08:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzzzt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A slightly tweaked EQ to be more sustainable would be great.
What should be tweaked and how would it improve sustainability?

Things like class balance come to mind - in PvP and PvE.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What should be tweaked and how would it improve sustainability?

Things like class balance come to mind - in PvP and PvE.
I was wanting an exp mill, idk what that is. But something that could allow me to grind forever :thinking emoji:

like convert experience into like some sort of vial of mana that you could do different things or craft or was a spell resource for raiding?

Aa’s are good bit they come to an end too.

I personally wish there was more that just incentivized grinding at level 60 in a group type environment the way it does 1 to 59.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:12 PM
Banned

perhaps its due to the similarity to the rogue-like genre
Old 08-15-2020, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

It's hard to say which MMO is best, especially since some MMO's were only good for a certain period of time, and then changed for the worse. In most cases that iteration of the MMO is lost forever.

I would say Everquest 1 is one of the best NON-INSTANCED MMO's out there (before it became instanced). If the player doesn't mind the game being instanced, there are certainly better MMO's out there.