Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Orc

Default Windows 8, EQ crashes and causes laptop to restart?

Hey I recently downloaded eq and started playing a bit.I used to play on Windows 7 and have no problems, downloaded windows 8 after reformatting and now EQ will crash and cause my laptop to restart? I've tried compatibility mode and still no dice. My laptop is an i7 4gb ram, that plays sc2 with no issues so don't think it's hardware? Any ideas of anything else to try? EQ might run for an hour or so before crash and restarts, or it might only last 10 minutes, it differs.
Thanks, really need any ideas?!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

I use Windows 8.1 and have never had any issues. Is there any other game which also does this? My advice would be to just run EQ in normal mode with no special tricks (unless you want to add "/affinity 1" to the .bat file) and see if that helps.

There are so many variables. For all we know, you could just be experiencing restarts as Windows installs random updates (you did wait for all the many updates after installing Win 8, right?) or you might have bad RAM or a damaged hard drive. It may even be that you are casting spells with the Alt key and your over-sized fingers are hitting the F4 key by accident.

Also, what is your anti-virus software? While the chance of a virus is minor, one of the files used by P1999 sometimes gets flagged by AV software and that could be an issue if you are in full-screen when the game gets messed with.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 AM
Aviak

i wouldnt suggest compatibility mode.. the presets available dont seem to be ideal for the titanium client. in fact, since i stopped using it and made a custom string in my shortcut, ive had less problems.

i think installing the dx9 SDK helped my client stability. i dont think anyone has yet to make their client run perectly hassle-free.
Last edited by skitterburst; 02-27-2015 at 06:39 AM..
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Sarnak

install directx 9c, it might have some files needed in there also, then hit windows update and update. If it doesnt take an hour at least your doing it wrong. Then if all else fails, throw it out the window and buy an amd based computer.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Orc

Thanks for all the replies. I'm downloading 8.1 right now to see if that possibly helps.. It definitely crashes as EQ freezes and makes that horrible freezing sound then the laptop goes into restart. So ya'll are saying download directx 9c, which is a downgrade from my Directx now? Would it let me override the directx I have now.

"My advice would be to just run EQ in normal mode with no special tricks (unless you want to add "/affinity 1" to the .bat file) and see if that helps. "

What does adding affinity 1 do?

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Sarnak

/affinity 1 tells Windows to bind the processor affinity. Back in 1999, there were no quad-core PC gamers on 64-bit versions of windows 98 and so it was written with the assumption that the game only dealt with one processor. I think Windows usually does okay, but I do recall some 'interesting' moments running under Wine where I made it from one side of Everfrost to the other in under 30 seconds.

The contents of my Launch Titanium.bat is therefore as follows:
Quote:
start /affinity 1 eqgame patchme
I am not sure if it helps, but it was a fix that someone mentioned at some point when discussing EQEmu zoning crashes.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Orc

Thanks again, well I found out it's not an EQ problem really, a hardware problem I think. Well when it crashes to BSOD a message comes up (VIDEO TDR FAILURE- nvlddmkm.sys) I've been looking around for an answer a lot of people say drivers but I've tried most of them I think.