Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-30-2022, 12:39 PM
Large Rat

Default Coldain Shawl guidance

Preparing for the long grind for the 7th shawl (0 in all trade skills).
Looking at the P99 shawl guide but wanted to check with everyone on their experiences. Never did this on live so something new after 20 years!

What tips & tricks do you recommend?
Any pitfalls or things to be aware of that could hinder the process?
Old 09-30-2022, 01:56 PM
Banned

all i remember from doing it on live is that i never want to do it again
good luck

https://www.graffes.com/forums/showt...gs-Information
Last edited by Chortles Snortles; 09-30-2022 at 02:00 PM..
Old 09-30-2022, 02:28 PM
Sarnak

Most tradeskills are pretty straightforward to skill up. I think the biggest thing is to stop tailoring at 158 or whatever wu's gets you to and take your chances on the combine there. It takes a lot less effort to gather the mats for multiple attempts than it does to continue raising tailoring past that point.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 09-30-2022, 02:43 PM
Aviak

These are all relatively simple, and pretty cheap to get to the appropriate skill levels with just merchant bought materials:

Baking at least 127
Brewing at least 168
Fletching at least 168
Pottery at least 162 (i never did any of the final firing, just destroyed the half fabricated items. you will lose less plat firing and selling it back to a merchant)

Jewel craft is straightforward, vendor bought materials but gets pricey. If you have or are an enchanter, and you aren't in a hurry, enchant the metals for the combines as the sell back to merchant is actually better.

Jewelcraft at least 162

Tailoring is the hidden monster. If you are a halfling you can do the cultural tailoring after wu's 158, but otherwise you are going to dump thousands in plats for any skill ups after by doing velious tailoring. as previously mentioned, you can just attempt the combines at 158, and if it fails you will have to collect the mats and try again. The 6th shawl has a higher tailoring combine than the 7th (162) but i expect you have read the guide and know this. i did enough arctic wyvern just to get to 163 for the 7th shawl combine to be trivial.

Tailoring at least 208
Old 09-30-2022, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most tradeskills are pretty straightforward to skill up. I think the biggest thing is to stop tailoring at 158 or whatever wu's gets you to and take your chances on the combine there. It takes a lot less effort to gather the mats for multiple attempts than it does to continue raising tailoring past that point.
Yup, this is the best advice you can get. Leveling up tailoring past 158 is NOT worth making the 208 recipe trivial.

Just try making it multiple times if you fail. I've done the Shawl quest on 2 characters so far. I failed once and succeeded twice. I might have been lucky, but the failure rate isn't so bad that you need 208 tailoring.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't bother getting tailoring to 163 either. I had Shawl 7 fail once, but you don't lose the https://wiki.project1999.com/Burin when crafting the rune, which is the hardest item to get for Shawl 7. So you don't need to refarm the Molkor Hide or the Swordfish Tooth.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 09-30-2022 at 04:10 PM..
Old 10-01-2022, 01:47 PM
Sarnak

fyi this is waaaay easier now. the spiders drop in velks drop the stuff like candy now. early on you might need to kill 5 spiders to get 1 drop (and you need well over a hundred). now they regularly drop 1-2 per kill. trade skills still suck though. it was fun to do if you enjoy these kinda quest in everquest, but other better FT1 items and better shoulders slots are more easily obtainable for most people in raiding guilds. good luck!
Old 10-01-2022, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjonesp99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
fyi this is waaaay easier now. the spiders drop in velks drop the stuff like candy now. early on you might need to kill 5 spiders to get 1 drop (and you need well over a hundred). now they regularly drop 1-2 per kill. trade skills still suck though. it was fun to do if you enjoy these kinda quest in everquest, but other better FT1 items and better shoulders slots are more easily obtainable for most people in raiding guilds. good luck!
That does depend on the class, and how good your current items are for specific slots.

Shawl 1 is very good for Shadowknights, as an example, because the only FT1 items they can use are Cazic Eye/Brain. Both of those are quite pricey in a guild, so Shawl is much cheaper in that case. Obviously Narandi Crown is pretty easy to get, but might as well have FT1 and FT2 for 3 mana per tick if you can.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That does depend on the class, and how good your current items are for specific slots.

Shawl 1 is very good for Shadowknights, as an example, because the only FT1 items they can use are Cazic Eye/Brain. Both of those are quite pricey in a guild, so Shawl is much cheaper in that case. Obviously Narandi Crown is pretty easy to get, but might as well have FT1 and FT2 for 3 mana per tick if you can.
I thought FT doesn't stack on p99?
Old 10-02-2022, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infectious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought FT doesn't stack on p99?
You can stack FT items if they aren't the same number.

You can equip an FT1 item and an FT2 item to get a total of 3 mana per tick.

Equipping two FT1 items will only give you 1 mana per tick.

This is confirmed to work, I am doing it on my Shadowknight right now and getting 3 mana per tick with Shawl 7 + Narandi Crown.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 10-02-2022 at 12:17 PM..