Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 06:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Outlands server is really fun - It's classic UO with changes that make sense - smaller map, custom dungeons, reduced skill options (good), enhancing skills to make more builds viable besides everyone being a tamer/mage. Imagine if EQ gave wizards clarity, let enchanters ONLY charm humanoids, Druids animals, Necros undead, and gave all hybrid tanks Defensive, and also remove all the stupid restrictions Bards have late game.

The balance is fantastic and the people running the server have essentially made UO2

IE fix the obvious fuck ups that the original staff made or couldn't see because of emergent game play.

The revolution is here, come play - I have only been PKed 1 time in a week of playing and the focus of the servers awesome custom systems are PVM oriented while allowing people to still be piece of shit PVP killers if they choose. But by in large the server seems PVM because they offer other outlets for real PVP via tournaments, guild wars, and town invasions so its not just 10,000 reds ruling every dungeon.

im shocked how good UO is in 2021 on this server and I'm barely scratching the surface.
Calling it UO2 says to me you never played UO seriously, or haven't played it since 1998. It's like 97% the same game on a different map.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what do you even do in outlands tho

is it like runescape where you just do whatever?
get money, buy stuff, get a house, get a boat, become a pirate, become a hero pvm'er, become a pk. you kinda gotta create your own content. You can craft anything from swords to potions to spell books and spell scrolls for spell books. Everything can be made by people and its better than whats from the vendor.

Watch Trammie surprise on youtube. You can become a thief/bomber man, too. You can be a scavenger and never kill mobs but still make mad money skinning the dead bodies etc.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Calling it UO2 says to me you never played UO seriously, or haven't played it since 1998. It's like 97% the same game on a different map.
Naw
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 10-10-2021, 01:33 AM
Sarnak

UO 1997 to 2000 was the best game ever made, you were only safe in town. You step outside town and its anything goes. Instead of some dumb ass NPC fights, other players were the end game content, fighting over the best loot spawns. At its height, the, PVP and combat mechanics in this era was insanely good, but you had to know what you were doing. The banks were like EQ but they could only hold so much stuff, so you had to buy a house if your loot out grew your bank space. Which meant all of your loot in your house was potentially vulnerable. Nothing was safe, so it was very intense. These safe BS games today, no one has any idea the real interactive game like UO and how good it was. When you died you were a ghost that could not interact with anything until you got rezzed. I miss that intensity, the game play mechanics from that era were also very unique, with many, many creative ways to kill people. Excellent PVP, unique skill and spells mechanics, real player crafting of useful items you bought constantly. Of course they patched out the awesome combat and made a safe 2D Everquest. That the only reason I quit UO and started Everquest. Unlike everquest there were no classes, so balance was not an issue with PVP, if you were missing something, you just went and trained up the skill you needed.
Last edited by NPC; 10-10-2021 at 01:45 AM..
Old 10-12-2021, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

NPC you should try Outlands (P99 type free server). Its classic UO that they have made way more grindy (not in skills up points, but in leveling the custom stuff). 7X GM doesnt mean shit, its all about your other levels. its a great blend of skill based and level based systems working together. Its same T2A UO on a custom map with a bunch of cool added shit. Like you can get weapon codexs that require XP to level up from killing monsters that give you added bonuses, Aspects to level up that do the same, and they have the same systems in place for Summoners Tombs and Taming. Its great that you can play whatever you want and be pretty good.

They have balanced the game very well so that if you have all the Aspects and Codexs and Mastery Chains and Tombs and shit leveled up whatever build you choose is competitive. Its not just an army of tamers and halberd mages (those are still there, but they are not so much better than everything else that that's ALL there is).

They have slowed down mount speed and you can not be mounted at all in dungeons so the game is a little slower and it makes it much much much more enjoyable. Its pretty easy to get away from PKers but you will still run into them very often and other players are the biggest danger in the game by far (and there are plenty of griefers but not to the point where you cant do stuff)

This is the best UO server i have ever played on and ive played several - has a 2000+ pop
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 10-12-2021 at 07:32 PM..
Old 10-16-2021, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

I've been on Outlands for about a week now. It's been a great game to learn, if you enjoy p99 I think you can learn to love UO. It's from the same era but the mechanics and gameplay are different. It has aspects of EQ that we love, slower methodical gameplay. Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2021, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
UO 1997 to 2000 was the best game ever made, you were only safe in town. You step outside town and its anything goes. Instead of some dumb ass NPC fights, other players were the end game content, fighting over the best loot spawns. At its height, the, PVP and combat mechanics in this era was insanely good, but you had to know what you were doing. The banks were like EQ but they could only hold so much stuff, so you had to buy a house if your loot out grew your bank space. Which meant all of your loot in your house was potentially vulnerable. Nothing was safe, so it was very intense. These safe BS games today, no one has any idea the real interactive game like UO and how good it was. When you died you were a ghost that could not interact with anything until you got rezzed. I miss that intensity, the game play mechanics from that era were also very unique, with many, many creative ways to kill people. Excellent PVP, unique skill and spells mechanics, real player crafting of useful items you bought constantly. Of course they patched out the awesome combat and made a safe 2D Everquest. That the only reason I quit UO and started Everquest. Unlike everquest there were no classes, so balance was not an issue with PVP, if you were missing something, you just went and trained up the skill you needed.
Ahhh god nostalgia feels. I started playing UO in the fall of 1997, it was just unreal. I also quit after they made it a carebear game, I think that was the renaissance expansion, when they split the world into trammel and felucia. It just totally gutted everything fun about the game. I also hated that custom housing shit they eventually put in. It was a cool concept, but not everyone is an artist and suddenly there were just all these god awful looking houses everywhere. The original stock house deeds where the shit. L-shape two story all the way.

I genuinely feel grateful that I got to experience that era of the game in real time as it happened.
Last edited by Ooloo; 10-16-2021 at 04:53 PM..
Old 11-10-2021, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Cant speak highly enough about how bad ass this server is. Fairly large learning curve but once you start to get it you realize how much they have improved on the game and made this thing into its own monster. So much character progression is available aside from leveling a skill to 100.

Haven't logged into P99 since discovering this gem of a server, no regerts.

Classic UO spirit turned into a more modern MMORPG, its fucking beautiful
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 11-10-2021 at 01:22 PM..
Old 11-17-2021, 12:54 PM
Banned

I'm in NEW if anyone needs help. Send me a PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

Still playing Outlands, its still awesome. New content and rebalancing come in about once a month, its delicious.

Great PVM content will PVP being the ultimate dispute solver, 10/10 would play again
#FreeWuTang
Closed Thread