Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 PM
Fire Giant

Default City of Heroes

Check your Twitch streams, gals and gents. It's up as an EMU project. It appears that original server source code was leaked and is in the wild.

https://score.savecoh.com/
Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

I remember playing a controller with mind control when it first launched. That was super fun.

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Banned

I know there was a project that had the world map up without combat.

Is this a legit full emu server?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Fire Giant

Okay, after burning time on this I have some more news.
Yes, it's a legit emu built from the original game source code, inclusive of all of the Issue updates to when the game was shut down, as well as the Beta material that the devs were working on before they were given their pink slips. This includes stuff like the Sentinel archtype and Radiation Melee, etc.

Some dude named Leandro was supposedly given the source code by a source formerly with the NCSoft devs. It's a rumor so I'm not sure I buy it. What I do know is that the dude just recently released all the code material that he had in a public fashion. A team of coders jumped on it and less than 2 days had a test server up, which is what people were streaming today.

Character creation was working, including capes, wings, particle color choices, all of it. It's the same client the game used right up until the plug was pulled. Combat was working the exact same as retail. Experience was being earned in the same fashion. The sewers were working and door missions were 'kind of' working - it was causing issues. It looks like it will be several weeks before a full City of X is going, but all of the content is there. Praetorians, Heroic and Villain sides, etc.

Here's the discord. All of the info from the emu team and instructions to get game material are there on the announcements -- https://discord.gg/MXzaV5
Old 04-20-2019, 12:14 AM
Planar Protector

One of my colleagues is named Leandro. I will get back to you with confirmation.

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:51 AM
Planar Protector

Interesting. So is this server a different one from the original "secret" one that's been operating for allegedly 6 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's the discord. All of the info from the emu team and instructions to get game material are there on the announcements -- https://discord.gg/MXzaV5
I see 4-5 announcements on there, none having anything to do with getting the game or on to the server,
Old 04-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Banned

Downloading it right now.

Will report back with my findings.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 PM
Banned

Played for about 10 minutes. Very nostalgic.

VERY buggy with regards to logging in, server is overloaded and unstable.

Essentially unplayable atm, but they're currently working on it.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:34 AM
Fire Giant

Update as of this Sunday evening's play. The server team posted in the Discord link how to download the client and connect to the server in the first or second post of the Announcements, and then gave a progress report on their work on the thing. The account creation and players parachuting into the mess have gone from 300 to 800 to 1400 to 2300 to over 3k people all wanting in. This Sunday, the server was stable with very low (but not perfect) lag / latency with over 3k on.

Door missions were working. Task forces were working. Ourobos or whatever was working, along with inventions and supergroups, etc. Some of the Praetorean content is being worked on still, along with some of the level 41-50 mission arc content for villains. Only fly in the ointment is that one or more GMs had a miscommunication with the rest of the team and gave some select players a level 50 boost. Because of the free experience handed out, every character will be wiped before the launch of the finished Live server on the 27th.

There's no issues with logging into the game between now and then. I'm just screwing around saving costumes to file and getting a feel for how I'll level and do badge hunting on the 27th. Something crazy like 5k accounts have been created. By the 27th I won't be shocked if the number triples. They're gonna need a bigger boat.

Discord link -- https://discord.gg/eJnaq7
Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 AM
Banned

I played a little more last night.

It's much better than it was in my previous post.

Still a little choppy/laggy though.

I'm kind of concerned because everyone seems to be saying there's no lag and I'm over here moving at 3 FPS during combat...maybe my computer hates the game?

It seems to be fine in door missions, but street combat is a shit show.

I like tossing enemies around with my mind but someone told me that powerset sucks.
Closed Thread