Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Classic example of blue sheep ganging up on the one red sheep
Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic example of blue sheep ganging up on the one red sheep
This aint minecraft you can't say things like that in 2019
Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Sarnak

Have manastones drop from random mobs in random zones 3 times a month.
Make EVERYONE mad.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first year of Everquest was characterized by DPS being king when it came to camping things. Nobody owned any camp/NPC and nobody was entitled to anything, unless they earned it by doing the most damage to the target they wanted. Not everyone would try to play like that, many people chose to avoid competing somewhere that was "already camped", but it's the FACT of how the game was and how it was enforced. "Killing stealing" did not exist in terms of breaking any kind of rule (so long as it wasn't someone stalking another player everywhere), it was only a term that some players used to define competition, and a way of trying to blacklist the opposition.

Aside from the fact that the original EQ devs said they wanted a hands-off approach, and competing via damage for NPCs was explicitly allowed, until instituting the Play Nice Policy in 2000, there are also in-era documentations of these facts from players. Look at these quotes from an article written August 1999: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...l_Stealing.htm

The player who wrote this was just Level 30, yet already had ample experience with having to regularly fight over NPC's. It was a thing, all over the place. An integral part of the game, and of the roleplaying aspect of the game even. Stop trying to deny it.

This player, who describes themself as "good-aligned" and "anti KS", also advocates creating trains as a method of competition:

Again, something that was part of the game. They mention that by this point in EQ, you were not allowed to explicitly train directly onto a player. But fearing a mob or running mobs through a zone, using legal pathing, with the intent of dumping them somewhere to create chaos? Allowed.

The game is supposed to be wild and unpredictable, fully interactive, with players being able to make impactful decisions on the gameplay and society. It's not supposed to be a stagnant pixel farm. The current proposed item camp rule for Green, turns the game into something more mechanical than ever, a literal pixel treadmill. Just /list yourself and go afk in a zone all day, never having to fight anything, and just getting the item you want eventually. This absolute mindlessness and on-the-rails, spoon-fed gameplay is not at all what classic EQ ever was or was supposed to be.

At the very least, the 2000-era Play Nice Policy made people actually have to kill the NPCs during their turn in the rotation, and have to pay attention to the camp if they didn't want to die from adds or someone else's failed pull, when sitting there waiting their turn. Play the damn game!
what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Starting to think maybe some of these cunts had been betting on locking down these camps to make their rent. Devs have really upset the assisted-living applecart here.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

While I understand and even agree with OP, I have to acknowledge that Rogean is being proactive in saving players from their selves. I mean even to this day the "camp" of a lvl 20 orc for Shiny Brass Idol is locked down for literally days/weeks 24/7 by assholes wasting their lives to get an immunity idol so they can kill the same dragon for the 5,00th time.

OP is not giving enough credit to the level of neckbeard that lives on this server - As soon as AM or Riot got the Manastone of Guise camp it would NEVER leave that guild, and this would probably start on like day 3 of the servers life.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say I'm sorry you won't be allowed to kill-steal or generally act like a sociopath whenever you feel like it and without repercussion, but that'd be a lie. I'm not sorry at all.

Danth
This
Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Sarnak

I played on Xegony from launch (Alabrio) and I was one of the only players that came near a ban before Kunark launched.

One of my "feats" involved running into a chinese PoF raid and yelling "nagasaki hiroshima boom boom".

My geography was not to great back then. It didn't prevent me from training them and causing a 14 hour CR.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on Xegony from launch (Alabrio) and I was one of the only players that came near a ban before Kunark launched.

One of my "feats" involved running into a chinese PoF raid and yelling "nagasaki hiroshima boom boom".

My geography was not to great back then. It didn't prevent me from training them and causing a 14 hour CR.
Lol was that Jade Dragon you did that to?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-20-2019, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In 1999/2000, nobody knew that the guise would be changed. People did not bother farming it for all of their alts because they thought that it would be in the game FOREVER (some people didn't even loot it on their main because it's a common drop on an easy camp - they could come back later and do it with a friend). A classic server can not recreate this. People know. The whole P99 server knows. It is impossible unless you have one of those Men In Black thingies that wipe your brain. No server will ever be true to classic because of this.

Adding a feature such as list actually helps a classic server in the sense of it reduces the number of items on the server emulating classic.
Your first paragraph is how everything works for an "exact code" recreated server, so that's completely irrelevant.

Your second paragraph is absolutely false. Lists don't reduce the number of items on the server at all. They will be farmed the same. It only changes who is allowed to get the item, which in this case will be people who share accounts and sit around doing nothing, instead of being able to fight for it. Fighting for camps is Classic EQ, and p99 has now removed a large part of what made classic EQ feel alive, and replaced it with an unclassic WoW-esque mechanic.

1999-era competition for camps is actually the one thing that slightly reduces the amount of items on the server, because it means people will sometimes have to spend time doing something other than killing the NPC as soon as it spawns (ie, managing adds that have been brought to the camp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If in 1999, everyone knew the exact date the manastone was going to be removed from the start of the server? IT WOULD BE CHAOS! Did that happen? No.
It did happen, though, that element of chaos and fighting for NPC's. Not in terms of everyone rushing to the manastone camp and fighting for it, but in terms of the gameplay in general, and disputes that would happen in ANY area in the game. People were fighting over freaking orc and gnoll spawns in 1999. THAT was classic Everquest.

Quote:
I would even venture out to say that most people didn't even want the manastone back then.
What a ridiculous line of thought. Everyone would have wanted to get it, if they knew about it. Most people simply didn't know about the item, much less where it dropped from.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pre-PNP (1999) GMs were free to enforce their server as they saw fit, whether through neglect or meddling.
No they weren't "free" to do that. There were specific rules in place by the game devs - Verant. If a GM didn't follow it, then a player could contact real-world CSR about it, and that GM could be removed from their position. Most players simply didn't get involved with such things, but regardless, "kill stealing" was allowed on EVERY server. Server-specific GM's had no allowable authority to stop it, and if they did abuse their power, then the player could take action against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anything you should be mad the 2000 PNP isn't enforced on blue and you should be mad we aren't strong armed into sharing via 'turn taking' on EVERYTHING.
Oh, but I am upset about that too, and have talked about it many times. p99 has the worst possible ruleset, not just in terms of the gameplay it creates, but it terms of being true to classic.