Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Sarnak

Default Crash after I log out

I know I’m not the only one this happens to. %95 of the time I crash when I attempt to log out to switch characters or just to shut the game off for the night. I’d say it happens %20 of the time when I go to log in after the server screen too. The game is stable once playing which ultimately is all that matters so I’m kind of afraid to mess with anything for fear of breaking something else unless there is an easy fix. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

Run it in compatibility mode for Win XP SP3 and set it to run as administrator. That should clear it up.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

Ok thank you. How do I do that? I forget.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Orc

Archiving the log files for your characters may help.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Sarnak

May not be relevant to this at all, but there is a single character of mine that the game crashes when I log out of them. None else.

So may be a UI issue, I haven't looked into it at all nor have I changed anything about him. But it happens 100% of the time with him without fail.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
May not be relevant to this at all, but there is a single character of mine that the game crashes when I log out of them. None else.

So may be a UI issue, I haven't looked into it at all nor have I changed anything about him. But it happens 100% of the time with him without fail.
That’s weird. Must be in the code or whatever.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Orc

For me it's the default UI. If you camp on a character that has a non-default UI, it's fine. But if you camp on one that uses default, it crashes. It always tries to load the character select screen based on what UI the character you camped with uses. So, load a custom UI and you should be good too. SP3 works too though, can confirm.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok thank you. How do I do that? I forget.
Right click "eqgame.exe" and select "Compatability" at the top. Both of those options should be on that tab. With that being said, I just tried this myself and it didn't work for me (on Windows 10).

I am one of the few that has the privilege of playing P99 on both Windows 10, and Linux (Ubuntu with wine). I can give you my unique perspective on this "bug".

On Windows 10, I have the same exact problem that you have - 9 out of 10 times my game will crash when I do /camp. In addition, when I try to log back in, it will repeatedly say that "You have a character logged in, wait for a refresh".
I tried that compatibility/admin option mentioned above, and it did not fix the issue.

The only solution I have found for this is to instead do /quit. This has never crashed the game for me, but I still sometimes get the "You have a character logged in", but most of the time I actually do not get that message.

You might think to instead keep trying to camp out, and just bring the game up when it crashes. The problem is that these camp crashes have corrupted my UI files multiple times, and in one case actually corrupted my game files to the point where I had to reinstall from scratch.

TLDR;
When playing on Windows 10, my recommendation is to /quit and NOT /camp.

On Linux (Ubuntu with wine), I have 0 issues /camp. It works every time with no crash. In addition, I have played on Arch Linux as well with wine, and /camp worked perfectly on there as well.

All in all, I can only assume that the problem isn't the game - it's Windows 10. I wish I had Windows 7/XP to try. I would assume that there are far less issues on both of those operating systems (another "bug" is going full screen/windowed tends to crash the game a lot on Windows 10 as well).
Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfest2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For me it's the default UI. If you camp on a character that has a non-default UI, it's fine. But if you camp on one that uses default, it crashes. It always tries to load the character select screen based on what UI the character you camped with uses. So, load a custom UI and you should be good too. SP3 works too though, can confirm.
This. Any time I log off a character with the default UI, I crash. I normally use duxaui and rarely if ever crash when that's enabled for a character.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhtar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. Any time I log off a character with the default UI, I crash. I normally use duxaui and rarely if ever crash when that's enabled for a character.
Well like I said I’m scared to tinker with anything because I had such a hard time getting the game to run and installed. Is the Duxaui easy to install? What exactly does it do vs the original UI? I’m happy with how it looks now.