Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned

Isn't this sort of stuff quantized? What I mean is that loot occupies specific tiers, each with its own formula (read: drop rate). These tiers would be shared across monsters for their respective loot tables.

For example:

Monster A has three drops (some may have more/less); X the common; Y the rare; Z the very rare. X has a rate of n%; Y of m%; and Z of p%.

Therefore pinning down the drop rate of one of these tiers would accurately represent the drop rates across a whole slew of NPCs.

I highly doubt the EQ coders (and Nilbog+Rogean and friends) have a completely separate equation for each piece of loot. That's idiotic and defeats the purpose of programming. Instead, new pieces of loot (like velious) would be simply plugged into specific tiers. This should make it easier to accurately represent the loot tables of NPCs. Rather than killing everything in the game in order to get a good %, all you'd need is a rough idea of what's common/rare/ultra-rare (+ additional tiers, if they exist) and a few mobs that drop common, rare, and ultra-rare drops. You wouldn't need to kill trakOnan a thousand times to determine the % of his drops when a lvl 20 mob with the same tiers would suffice just as well.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure exactly how they have it implemented. If we knew that there were only a few possibilities for drop rates, it might make sense to try and pin those down. Certainly it seems like when a monster drops a ton of different things (e.g. research components), many of them have the same chance to drop, but it also seems like that chance can be different between different mobs. Anyway, I have no idea how it works, I'm just trying to get some good statistical results from observation.

I've now updated all my entries in the wiki with confidence intervals (these are mostly for low-level mobs and I'm still in the process of getting more data, and will be for a long time). Here is an example of a monster with 415 kills: http://wiki.project1999.org/A_decaying_dwarf_skeleton
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

I assume it works like the basic loot tables that PEQ uses, tweaked for p99 era.

It has various tables with certain drop percentages. Such as the words/runes are on a table, quest items on a table, then main loot on a table. They even have a frontend!

http://www.peqtgc.com/edit/

its pretty interesting stuff if you are into databases.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

Based on this page: http://www.peqtgc.com/edit/index.php...23&npcid=17002

I'm seeing a bunch of different percentages rather than something as simple as Skope described.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Based on this page: http://www.peqtgc.com/edit/index.php...23&npcid=17002

I'm seeing a bunch of different percentages rather than something as simple as Skope described.
Keep in mind this is wildly different than p99 can be, but it did share a base at some point.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Fire Giant

You guys are doing God's work - keep it up.

I am inclined to agree w/ Splorf and Skope on the shared loot table. The idea of coding each mob to have independent tables for each piece of cloth, rusty, etc seems overwhelming, especially when you add in research components, etc. It seems way more likely that there is a specific research loot table that can just be tacked onto a mob - same w/ the cash drops gems, spells, armor tiers, weapon tiers, etc. Certainly some mobs may have a modified table (say guards that only drop FS SS + Shield) but I can't imagine such a wasteful approach to coding up loot tables if done wholesale for every mob in Norrath.
Closed Thread