Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Default Melee vs Casters

If the population counts were like this back in 1999, what do you think Verant would have done to balance the game? I have ideas, but want to see what others think.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

what are the population counts? People play casters now so they can have a main to use to twink melees, but melees will get more powerful and become more popular

There is nothing wrong with a group of 4 mages a necro, and an enchanter

No one wants to be a warrior in leather with a pair of obsidian daggers while grouping with enchanters, shams, monks, etc..

bronze has enough ac literally to make mitigation 1-50 fine until crafted/planar in classic, just have people root mobs.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what are the population counts?
Generally melee classes is half to a quarter as much as caster classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People play casters now so they can have a main to use to twink melees, but melees will get more powerful and become more popular
People want to play melee, but most do not until twinked. Seems like a balance issue to me which the original devs were always trying to fix.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with a group of 4 mages a necro, and an enchanter
I agree with that. However, my point is I think the original devs would have had an issue with so few people playing melee classes.

Quote:
No one wants to be a warrior in leather with a pair of obsidian daggers while grouping with enchanters, shams, monks, etc..
I wouldn't say no one, some like the pain of playing say an untwinked Troll SK. But in general I agree the majority do not.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the population counts were like this back in 1999, what do you think Verant would have done to balance the game? I have ideas, but want to see what others think.

They would have fixed the bullshit exp penalty for hybrids much sooner.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

The devs solution was eventually that floppy AA veteran ability that casted hots, mercenaries, and out of combat fast regen - basically wow with EQ skin.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
agreed it isn't worth it, that and the nerfed manapool/spell costs
Old 03-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Certainly would help some. Wouldn't fix the numbers for non hybrid melee classes.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The devs solution was eventually that floppy AA veteran ability that casted hots, mercenaries, and out of combat fast regen - basically wow with EQ skin.
I agree with one thing. HP regen to match Mana regen makes a LOT of sense to balance melee vs caster population counts.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

I feel like the hardest thing is melees not being able to compete with like necros for solo camps. But a dungeon geared war is pretty beastly and makes grouping funner.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Large Rat

My main is war, got him to 50 around Christmas. I always had better gear than my shammy buddy. Had full bronze pgt and cold iron morning star pre 25. then i needed root to tank. at 25 i switched to 2x gnoll lariat. then i got my obsiadian shards , i bought them. Used that till 50 then i got my ykesha.

This need to twimk melee classes is just lame. Game totally give you the oppo to play melee without twinking.

how to get pp
bandits in karana give you full banded in early teens ,
run to ec buy pgt and do some befallen to early 20
move to mm/sola/uguk. i mean high 20s in mm is fs drop on almost each mob in gy, along with AC and imp.

after 35 alternate MM and lguk and you will get the drops you need and afford to buy the rest.
Closed Thread