Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 06-17-2023, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DE get a Lake Rathetear-only waterbreathing skill:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fuck yes.

You get it. #1 poster on forums left Sadre pras.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In terms of asthetics, Neriak easily could've been placed underneath the Arena with a zone on the other side of the subterranean city for low levels to xp in, otherwise Lake Rathetear would've needed to lower level mobs.
Yeah but it kind of also works aesthetically that it's next to Nektulos forest. Like their underground city is supposed to be built deep in a dark isolated forest where no one else really is.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah but it kind of also works aesthetically that it's next to Nektulos forest. Like their underground city is supposed to be built deep in a dark isolated forest where no one else really is.
Yep, and it makes sense that they'd be there on the outskirts of what is now a desert.

https://www.giantbomb.com/takish-hiz/3035-5197/

Quote:
Centuries ago, the Elves lived in a lush forest that existed where what is now the Desert of Ro. The sun god, Solusek Ro, laid waste to the forest by burning it to the ground, which forced the Elves to flee to Faydwer, where they established Felwithe and Kelethin in the Faydark. Remnants of their lost civilization peak out above the sands to this day, but the Wayfarers have discovered a path to a portion of the Elves' capital city of Takish-Hiz that remains somewhat in tact.
https://loreofnorrath.wordpress.com/category/takishhiz/

Quote:
Beyond the grand white bridge and the waterway that overlooks the temple of Tunare lies the quiet northern region of the fair Koada’Dal city of Felwithe. Here Felwithe’s magicians, enchanters, and wizards reside, endlessly studying the countless ancient tomes that survived the horrible devastations of their former homeland of Takish’Hiz now ruined at the bottom of a desert grave.
Quote:
In ancient days, the city of Takish Hiz nestled in the heart of the Elddar Forest. The elves who inhabited this lush forest are the ancestors of today’s high and wood elves. Adventurers can see the influences of these ancestors throughout the high elf and wood elf cities even now.
Quote:
The Fall of Takish-Hiz
In time, fate dealt the Teir’Dal a good hand, for Solusek Ro raised the Serpent Mountains near the elven homeland of the Elddar Forest. The magical city of Takish-Hiz, which many believed impregnable, was half ruined by tremendous earthquakes resulting from massive shifts in the landscape. The moisture cut off by the Serpent Mountains quickly (at least quickly in the eyes of elves and gods) turned the Elddar into a desert.
But if the dark elves were based in The Arena/Lake Rathetear, that would have placed them much closer to the trolls and ogres, giving the evil races more coverage of the southern portion of the map, with the added benefit of separating good/evil player characters in PvP scenarios. Plus, it would have added a city to accompany the Arena's bind location, making the one in NK unnecessary.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:59 AM
Sarnak

the glory of rodcet nife awaits!
Old 06-20-2023, 01:37 PM
Kobold

I feel like I remember hearing Qeynos was built very early on when listening to aLovingRobot's interview series with original EQ developers. I can't remember who it was and there's too many hours of interviews to skim. Linking below for interest.

https://www.youtube.com/@alovingrobot406/videos
Old 06-20-2023, 09:04 PM
Planar Protector

Apparently Field of Bone was the first zone in Kunark beta.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001206...i/news.pl?id=8

Quote:
2) Currently only 1 zone has been created: "The Field of Bone", a scorched-earth type of land with Iksar ruins, a gigantic walled temple and a large tower, among other "to-be-added" landmarks and features.

4 new monsters have been created so far: The Cockatrice, Leech, Mosquito (giant) and Giant Scorpion (also saw a huge scorp which may serve as the basis for some kind of unique monster, ala Queen Klicnik).
https://web.archive.org/web/20001022...ound/beta.html

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-21-2023, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, and it makes sense that they'd be there on the outskirts of what is now a desert.

https://www.giantbomb.com/takish-hiz/3035-5197/

https://loreofnorrath.wordpress.com/category/takishhiz/

But if the dark elves were based in The Arena/Lake Rathetear, that would have placed them much closer to the trolls and ogres, giving the evil races more coverage of the southern portion of the map, with the added benefit of separating good/evil player characters in PvP scenarios. Plus, it would have added a city to accompany the Arena's bind location, making the one in NK unnecessary.
That's all pretty interesting lore thank you. Idk why I had no idea the desert of Ro used to be a forest and that the ruins there are elvish. Cool stuff.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifebar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like I remember hearing Qeynos was built very early on when listening to aLovingRobot's interview series with original EQ developers. I can't remember who it was and there's too many hours of interviews to skim. Linking below for interest.

https://www.youtube.com/@alovingrobot406/videos
Yes it was. I believe the Qeynos area is quite literally the first section of the game that was ever designed. It shows not only in the name of the city but in the /who names for Qeynos, QH, Surefall, etc. It's why those zone names in /who are so odd compared to all the others in the game.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:29 AM
Orc

Did surefall always have ranger and Druid guilds? Also, could you start a new char in surefall? I do not remember..I just remember that QRG was Qeynos ranger guild
Old 06-22-2023, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did surefall always have ranger and Druid guilds? Also, could you start a new char in surefall? I do not remember..I just remember that QRG was Qeynos ranger guild
yeah, first char i ever made in 99' was a ranger and i couldn't see shit in the tunnel so i'd end up zoning out and re-zoning into surefall and it would take like 5 minutes each load so i deleted him and made a wood elf next and promptly fell out a tree.

true story.