Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Can't get past server select

My friend recently built a new computer, and after installing EQ on it, we found that the game will not go past the server select. After choosing the P99 server, the screen will briefly go black and then return me to the login screen.

Here's a list of all the things we've attempted:

-Updated his video card drivers, reverted video card drivers
-Reinstalled the game (both from fresh, then copied every file from my working EQ file on my computer and placed onto his)
-Shut off every firewall / antivirus, also added exemptions for all EQ files/folders/programs
-Wireless vs. Ethernet connection (note: it is not a general internet issue, as other games can connect and play fine)
-Installing WinEQ and running through that
-Forcing a single-core mode
-Used the EQEmu Launcher, as well as manually updating all files and changing the shortcut target path
-Ran in different compatibility modes
-Turned SLI on and off
-Installed Directx 9.0
-Changed the video resolution to different settings before launching (in the ini file)

Basically I tried for about 5 hours to get the game to work, and nothing changed. Every time you choose the server and hit "play," it kicks you back to the login screen.

One last thing it may help to mention, is that if you attempt to reconnect immediately after the kick to login, the servers will take time to load (and sometimes do not), and when you click "play" a second time, it gives a server connectivity error.

Anyone ever experience similar symptoms? I've scoured the internet for any possible solution I could come up with, all to no avail. Please help!

-Rhoan
Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

It may help to note that his computer is a quad core AMD 4.5 and is running with two old geforce gt 250 graphics cards. The OS is Windows 7 pro.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I know this is a very old thread, just wondering if there was a solution for this?

having the exact same issues, tried re-install, and all the obvious things, to no avail.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Fire Giant

Considering this was his last post ever on the forums...

I don't think he solved his issue.

That, absolutely, does not mean you can't fix yours. If you are willing to keep trying suggestions, one will eventually work.

Since you found this post, you're doing it right. Keep searching using different key words to describe your issue.

There is another person with the same unsolved issue right now posting in this forum, so hopefully you can help each other and get into the game soon.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Planar Protector

i was thinking about this today while i was out and about (yes, i think about eq tech while spending time irl... what can i say, i hate a spare minute of downtime to med =P) and i had a thought.

for people having this oddly specific and seemingly unfixable error, try running a virtual machine (VM) under xp or maybe even windows 98 (0_o). There are plenty of instructions on how to set up a VM so i wont post them here (just google it) and it doesn't take long to do. If eq will run under the VM, its a software issue with windows 7 pro, if it wont, its a hardware/network issue with your computer.

Let me know if this is a viable option for you and get back to me. Im very curious to see the results.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 07-04-2015, 03:54 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Oh no

Just shrunk my build by a few inches. Had to pick up a smaller motherboard and changed my cooling. Now I'm running into this issue. This thread doesn't looks very promising. RIP my EQ nostalgia?