Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-08-2023, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fascinating! I had no idea this game worked like that!

How about:

When you are soloing, the higher your strength the faster you kill. The faster you kill the less mana it takes to get a kill. The less mana you use, the less time you have to sit on your ass getting mana back.

Or how about:

The more strength you have the more loot/coin you can carry before making a bank and vendor run. The less you have to make that run the more time you can spend killing and otherwise enjoying the game.

I’m a wizard, Harry.
If you have played an SK at all, you would know the bottleneck for them is mana. The majority of your DPS is coming from your haste item and weapon when it comes to white damage, not 20 points into STR as your starting stats. You will need to show a significant DPS difference on an SK with 140 STR vs. 160 STR.

If you have leveled up a character, you would know that you don't need 200+ STR to carry multiple bags of FS weapons and coin. You can buy cheap WR bags such as https://wiki.project1999.com/Bag_of_Sewn_Evil-Eye , https://wiki.project1999.com/Large_Soiled_Bag , and https://wiki.project1999.com/Shralok_Pack . OP has multiple level 60 characters, this shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for posting another silly gif. It simply shows you are a troll, and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

If I had leveled up a character? Pretty sure I’ve leveled quite a few.

You are correct that most of your damage comes from your weapon and haste. I am glad we have found a thing to agree upon!

Are you not aware that your strength directly plays into that equation specifically regarding how much damage your hasted weapon does? It’s part of the napkin math man.

You of all should be able to appreciate napkin math.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-08-2023, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I had leveled up a character? Pretty sure I’ve leveled quite a few.

You are correct that most of your damage comes from your weapon and haste. I am glad we have found a thing to agree upon!

Are you not aware that your strength directly plays into that equation specifically regarding how much damage your hasted weapon does? It’s part of the napkin math man.

You of all should be able to appreciate napkin math.
If you agree that most of your damage comes from your weapon and haste, then you would need to show that +20 STR is giving OP enough of a DPS boost to overcome the extra mana you are receiving from INT.

You are making the claim that +20 STR is going to do this, so you need to prove it. As per usual, you are trying to get other people to prove the claims you are making.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 08-08-2023, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you are soloing, your mana bar slowly depletes per kill. Once you get low, you need to spend time meditating. Max mana helps increase the number of kills you can do between meditation breaks.
And then he'll spend longer meditating all his mana back, either AFK or present. Pointless.

STR is common on EC items but he's still not going to cap it with droppables, so I'm not really sure what your point is there. Bringing strength from 156 to 166 has the same utility as bringing strength from 86 to 96; he's going to kill faster 100% of the time, end fights more quickly, and SUSTAIN mana that way. Sustain is orders of magnitude more valuable than max.

Same goes for STA, all you say about INT applies to stamina with regard to # of mobs you can kill between breaks and utility during emergencies, with the added bonus of max hp being far more useful for an SK than max mana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have played an SK at all, you would know the bottleneck for them is mana.
What lol

Maybe at 60 when soloing tough mobs, but the odds are pretty stacked against OP on that.
Last edited by Lune; 08-08-2023 at 03:06 PM..
Old 08-08-2023, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And then he'll spend longer meditating all his mana back, either AFK or present. Pointless.

STR is common on EC items but he's still not going to cap it with droppables, so I'm not really sure what your point is there. Bringing strength from 156 to 166 has the same utility as bringing strength from 86 to 96; he's going to kill faster 100% of the time, end fights more quickly, and SUSTAIN mana that way. Sustain is orders of magnitude more valuable than max.

Same goes for STA, all you say about INT applies to stamina with regard to # of mobs you can kill between breaks and utility during emergencies, with the added bonus of max hp being far more useful for an SK than max mana.
My point is simple. You don't need to cap STR to be successful when leveling.

If you want to make the claim that +20 STR gives an SK a significant DPS boost while leveling, you need to show that.

STA and STR are factually easier to cap. This can be shown via Magelo, and looking at available buffs. Put your points into the harder stat to cap (INT), because you get more benefit from an uncapped stat over a longer period of time.

OP has multiple level 60s. Unless they decide to make a self found character, twink items will outweigh the benefits from starting stats during the leveling process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What lol

Maybe at 60 when soloing tough mobs, but the odds are pretty stacked against OP on that.
Of course mana is the bottleneck for SK's. When you are soloing, an SK's primary tool is fear kiting. You are spending mana to not take damage. An SK is MUCH slower at killing things if they simply face tank. If you fear kite correctly, you will run out of mana long before HP. You can fear kite starting at level 15, so I am not sure why you think it is restricted to level 60s.

If you are talking about grouping, +20 STR is doing even less than when you are soloing. You get less loot since it is shared across the group, and an SK is not a DPS class in a group, they are a tank.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-08-2023 at 03:17 PM..
Old 08-08-2023, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Starting strength on an iksar sk is 80. Yikes!
Starting intelligence on an iksar sk is 85.

If this guy were rolling an ogre or troll my advice would be different.

Old 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
My point is simple. You don't need to cap STR to be successful when leveling.

If you want to make the claim that +20 STR gives an SK a significant DPS boost while leveling, you need to show that.

STA and STR are factually easier to cap. This can be shown via Magelo, and looking at available buffs. Put your points into the harder stat to cap (INT), because you get more benefit from an uncapped stat over a longer period of time.

OP has multiple level 60s. Unless they decide to make a self found character, twink items will outweigh the benefits from starting stats during the leveling process.

Of course it is. When you are soloing, an SK's primary tool is fear kiting. You are spending mana to not take damage. An SK is MUCH slower at killing things if they simply face tank. If you fear kite correctly, you will run out of mana long before HP. You can fear kite starting at level 15, so I am not sure why you think it is restricted to level 60s.

If you are talking about grouping, +20 STR is doing even less than when you are soloing. You get less loot since it is shared across the group, and an SK is not a DPS class in a group, they are a tank.
Depends on race my gear is quite good and I'm still 4 points short on stamina. Even more if I use 1h instead of tuna sword for tanking. Not everyone wants to be an ugly ogre/troll.
Old 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Starting strength on an iksar sk is 80. Yikes!
Starting intelligence on an iksar sk is 85.

If this guy were rolling an ogre or troll my advice would be different.
My Gnome Warrior has 140+ STR with EC gear, and I didn't even focus on STR when picking his gear. This is without any Warrior specific clickie buffs. Gnome Warriors start with 60 STR. The reality is tank gear in Velious simply has a lot of STR on it, and you don't need 200+ STR to level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on race my gear is quite good and I'm still 4 points short on stamina. Even more if I use 1h instead of tuna sword for tanking. Not everyone wants to be an ugly ogre/troll.
4 points on STA is 21 HP on an SK.

I'll take 100+ mana over 21 HP any day of the week on an SK.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-08-2023 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-08-2023, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
My Gnome Warrior has 140+ STR with EC gear, and I didn't even focus on STR when picking his gear. This is without any Warrior specific clickie buffs. Gnome Warriors start with 60 STR. The reality is tank gear in Velious simply has a lot of STR on it, and you don't need 200+ STR to level.
I mean specifically stamina. That's with me using sta on start still 4 short until bracer upgrade as a DE.