Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whatever you picked, you picked right. There is no bad choice for a Shaman. This is one of the most over-thought subjects on the forum so if you want more discussion search out any of the dozens of threads on this subject.

Danth
This, but also no need to wade through a million old posts: the shaman wiki page breaks down every (I think) pro/con of every race: Shaman#Picking the Right Race.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Orc

Thanks guys for the inputs, Torpor will be hard to get its so expensive and so will JBB's/Fungi tunics Being new I am without a way to farm plat it will be a grind to get to a point I can get those items and with Blue being light on people things will be even more tough. But shamans can solo very well so I will work at it! Wallicker made a good point to shrink and bear form so I might go Ogre for the higher str and sta thanks mate! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2019, 08:02 AM
Fire Giant

My shaman is barbarian. I chose that way because it was the first char I made when I began on P99 and I was on Tallon Zek back in live and there it was team pvp and I was used to only ever playing a light race. I knew I wanted to play a shaman to how powerful the class is in Kunark/Velious era and wanting to be a light race there is only barbarian. I didn't know about exp differences nor did I remember much about frontal stun immunity or regen.

I personally happen to find ogres and trolls ugly. I don't find barbarians particularily aesthetically pleasing, but for sure the lesser of evils big time. Just can't stand those big models scratching their asses. Iksar is decent, looks wise, but again, dark race.

Having played on p99 for 5 years now and having gotten used to not really thinking much about race in the old pvp light/dark schism I'm overall happy enough with my choice of barbarian.

Like others have said, at 60 with Torpor, the regen gained from being a troll/iksar really doesn't matter very much (if at all). The stun immunity is by far the bigger, more impactful racial ability at 60, but even having said that, Torpor, Slow and Canni are what make the shaman able to do what the shaman can do and there is nothing an ogre shaman can solo that a barbarian, iksar or troll shaman can't.

Having said that, there isn't a time when some stupid mob kicks or bashes me and my spellcasting is interrupted and I start spinning around that a part of me doesn't growl and wish I was an ogre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-27-2019, 02:18 PM
Aviak

Many say that you can't go wrong with any race but I have always been too scared to go with an evil race. Doesn't being evil make things SO much harder?
Old 11-27-2019, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Many say that you can't go wrong with any race but I have always been too scared to go with an evil race. Doesn't being evil make things SO much harder?
You do have a 15% (ogre) or 20% (iskar/troll) xp penalty. "Harder" is subjective though based on where you are grinding and how much of a hassle it is returning to town to train or buy spells.

With the Surefall Glade ports (on Blue) now Barbarians have become even easier. That and being medium/large makes running around killing guards in HK simple compared to being a fatty.

IMHO,
Barbarian - Very Easy
Troll/Ogre - Easy to Medium
Iksar - Hard
Old 11-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Sarnak

Once you get invis the evil thing is a nonissue.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:36 PM
Planar Protector

Remember: there's only one race of shaman who gets a racial that can't be duplicated in the game... BY ANY OTHER SHAMAN OR ANY OTHER CLASS EITHER EVEN IF IT IS AN OGRE

Polar Bear Form
There is only one Polar bear form casting class in the game.
With guise in the game, you have two unique shaman forms.
Also you get a kilt, so you can run around with it swinging around.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you get invis the evil thing is a nonissue.
It becomes an issue in Kunark when you start running Seb because it trashes your Overthere faction. Once you've done that, being an evil race in Kunark becomes a huge chore.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It becomes an issue in Kunark when you start running Seb because it trashes your Overthere faction. Once you've done that, being an evil race in Kunark becomes a huge chore.
While this is 100% true, with invis one can still (carefully) bank and vendor in the OT. Also, Evil folks killing in Sebilis will eventually get their Legion of Cabilis faction up from killing all those frogs, and then they'll be able to use Cabilis (if they avoid or work on all the other KOS factions there).

And of course anyone who spends a few hours killing pirates can be welcome in Firiona Vie. So while Kunark certainly isn't as welcoming to evil races as Velious, it's far from a deal breaker (or even major issue).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Sarnak

Is that even much of a factor? Theres always gonna be 10 porters sitting at hammer hill to take you wherever you want to go. Mild inconvenience at worst.
Closed Thread