Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Aviak

Cool Green/Teal Server Wiki Auction Trackers [Suggestion]

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but does anyone know if the devs plan to add additional tabs to the wiki for Green/Teal server item prices? The wiki seems to be a pretty integral part of the in-game economy and I'm hopeful that there will be dedicated trackers for these servers. If there aren't, there will be a lot of confusion with people assuming Blue prices apply to Green, etc.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

Basically it boils down to "everyone beg Ravhin". And I wish I had a better answer, but I don't.

The wiki auction system (and anything wiki-related that requires a database) relies on custom PHP extensions, ie. PHP code that a player (Ravhin) wrote, and that Rogean then installed. If we want it to work differently, someone has to change that code, and convince Rogean to install the new version.

Ravhin made all that code publically available: there's a link to it at http://wiki.project1999.com/utils/wikiUtils.php, and anyone who knows PHP could make the changes and send them to Rogean ... but so far no one has stepped up.

(And while I personally <3 the wiki, and even though I am a programmer ... and even though I can write PHP, if someone puts a gun to my head ... let's just say I'm not a fan of that particular language.)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Aviak

Interesting. That actually sounds like a fun little project for me. I'm a long-time programmer in many languages and I wouldn't mind at least testing my hand at it. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. If anyone else wants to take a crack, go for it--at the end of the day, just having something nice and functional is the goal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: Here's a question -- should Green/Teal have the same tracker? Should the wiki attempt to resolve the 2 servers into 1 from a price perspective, or should they have separate economies? I'm thinking if they have 2 separate it would be easier to implement and players could just compare them if needed rather than attempting to combine for now.
Last edited by Omzy; 11-06-2019 at 07:48 PM..
Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting. That actually sounds like a fun little project for me. I'm a long-time programmer in many languages and I wouldn't mind at least testing my hand at it. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. If anyone else wants to take a crack, go for it--at the end of the day, just having something nice and functional is the goal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: Here's a question -- should Green/Teal have the same tracker? Should the wiki attempt to resolve the 2 servers into 1 from a price perspective, or should they have separate economies? I'm thinking if they have 2 separate it would be easier to implement and players could just compare them if needed rather than attempting to combine for now.
Awesome! As I said I'm a programmer, so I know all about getting excited to start a project ... and then not finishing it (the wiki is littered with such projects of mine in fact) ... but if you do pull it off obviously a lot of people would love you.

As for the two server thing, keep in mind that there's a strong chance the two will merge at some point. Because of that, and because the Green/Teal economies should be about the same, I'd lean more towards having one combined tracker for both.

But don't let "perfect become the enemy of good": we'd all be better off with separate trackers for Green and Teal, vs. only having the current Blue tracker.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Aviak

If my assumptions are correct, it would just be a matter of adding tabs to the web page/top of the tracker, and then hooking up extra links to duplicated trackers that connect to the other servers. Really very small changes, just a matter of finding the appropriate pieces of code. But i'll post here if I am able to get it done. I'm a busy guy as well.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

More classic without it, just have to play things by ear.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

Hi everyone,

I have made the wiki auction tracker server-aware, now people can upload logs for each server: http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:AuctionTracker

please do so (also for red), some extra data would be useful!

At the bottom of this page you can see the "top 20" stats.

We are still thinking of the best way to add the data to individual item pages. Thinking right now that the existing auction box will have tabs at the top, one for each server, to flip between otherwise identical versions of the box. What do you think?
Old 11-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravhin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi everyone,

I have made the wiki auction tracker server-aware, now people can upload logs for each server: http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:AuctionTracker

please do so (also for red), some extra data would be useful!

At the bottom of this page you can see the "top 20" stats.

We are still thinking of the best way to add the data to individual item pages. Thinking right now that the existing auction box will have tabs at the top, one for each server, to flip between otherwise identical versions of the box. What do you think?
First off, that's AWESOME news. I know a lot of people will be super excited to hear this.

Tabs sound great to me. If you'd like me to take the front-end code of making them work I'll be happy to: if so just have the server output all the trackers to the page, but with all (or all except blue?) style="display:none", and I can use JS to add the tabs and make them show the hidden trackers.

Also whether we do that, or whether you want to take a different approach, I think it might be nice to save which server someone clicks on in their local storage, so that if you switch to Green once, you wouldn't have to keep doing so each time: it would "remember" your server choice.

I've already done this sort of thing with the checkbox lists (eg. on epic quests), so it wouldn't be hard to make it work to remember the server choice also, unless anyone is opposed to the idea.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 AM
Sarnak

Sounds good, you can test here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Stein_of_Moggok

(green and teal are present but hidden)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Planar Protector

Can we get a ****ing check on prices to make sure something like 5000000 doesn't slip through and throw off the entire graph?

I already know how corrupt the price tracker on the wiki is but it's annoying when the largest portion of it shown is broken.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-10-2019 at 09:43 AM..