Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 03:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct, move to resolved.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-18-2019, 03:29 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As mentioned here, it was more of a CC tool (which was likely its intended use).
I don't think so. The spell duration gives us some insight into the designer's intentions. If they wanted it to be short duration, they could've made it a short duration spell, like Mez and Roots.

It seems like common sense that when you have NPCs that are overtuned for their level (more HP and DPS than a player) to make up for their deficits in AI and predictable behavior, and you give the player the ability to take control of that NPC, you should probably nerf that NPC in some way now that its not under the control of predictable AI . This never occurred to them. But then again they thought druids deserved a 10% heal nerf, and no heals past level 29 all the way through Kunark. Great vision, but not so good on the details.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:41 AM
Planar Protector

Mobs do get nerfed when you charm them.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:02 AM
Planar Protector

With 255 CHA at level 60, a tashed pet 12-15 levels below will sometimes break 5 times in a row just a few seconds apart, driving the enc oom and forcing him to blur / root / camp / dazzle / whatever. So it's all about RNG really.

Also today we know how to handle breaks and are ready for them when they happen. Back then, a charm break sent the enc into panic mode "omg this mob is pissed at me HEAL ME OMG *splat* I'm never memming a charm spell again"

Back then lots of things didn't happen. Monks didn't solo fungi king. Warriors didn't solo Ragefire.
Shamans didn't solo Aylish. Druids didn't solo PoM. 2 mages weren't duoing Phinny. Necros weren't soloing Fear. And so on.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With 255 CHA at level 60, a tashed pet 12-15 levels below will sometimes break 5 times in a row just a few seconds apart, driving the enc oom and forcing him to blur / root / camp / dazzle / whatever. So it's all about RNG really.

Also today we know how to handle breaks and are ready for them when they happen. Back then, a charm break sent the enc into panic mode "omg this mob is pissed at me HEAL ME OMG *splat* I'm never memming a charm spell again"

Back then lots of things didn't happen. Monks didn't solo fungi king. Warriors didn't solo Ragefire.
Shamans didn't solo Aylish. Druids didn't solo PoM. 2 mages weren't duoing Phinny. Necros weren't soloing Fear. And so on.
people were too stupid to realize they could use stun spells which are built into their own kit to manage a broken charm

got it
Old 11-18-2019, 06:09 AM
Sarnak

I dunno, I don't recall people not knowing about CHA back then. I was never an Enchanter and I always knew CHA affected Charm. People figured it out pretty early I believe? I think CHA is one of the easiest stats to raise also, not to mention ENCs get a CHA buff lol.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Mobs do get nerfed when you charm them.
Yeah, in GoD
Old 11-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Sarnak

I think part of this goes back not only to what dedicated players knew, but what casual players knew.

On P99 most players are fairly dedicated and know their own class inside and out as well as every other class in their group. On live this wasn't the case, not because people were stupid but because a larger percent of the player base were playing casually.

On p99 what percent of players dedicate time to learning about game mechanics? 50%? 70%?

On live what percent were doing the same? 20%? Probably most people wanted to hop on and whack a few orcs for an hour or two. It wasn't what was known as optimal, but what fraction of the player base cared to learn or act on it.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half of P99 code base is from random old sites like that.

And there it is, the admission on an old classic site that Charm isn't worth it even in groups most of the time.
This post is so ignorant and dumb that I honestly feel like it might be a troll post.

You have to realize, we've had 20 years to min/max every single EQ strategy. Charming is one of those that has been super-focused on. People didn't understand the mechanics of Charm breaks back then. They also hadn't perfected the typical Charm killing strategy and therefore many Enchanters didn't think about things like rooting the non-pet mob, tashing things to reduce Magic Resistance, and how their level difference versus the Charmed pet could affect break frequency.

There's no coding difference between P99 and EQ classic era Charm that makes it operate any differently on P99. People have just min/maxed the strategy and have way more knowledge than they did back then. That's why it seems more OP than it was in the classic era, but in actuality it's not.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unsure why you didn't run around naked on blue and red, given that you seem to believe gear is worthless.

Don't see other chanters do it either.

Weird, but resolved.
Closed Thread