Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 AM
Orc

Default New to Shaman need some help

Not sure what race to go with. I see a lot of Barb shamans out in the world and hear that ogres are good for the high stamina they start with and trolls/iksars for the regen passive.

Being new to it im not going to have a lot of gear and access to certain items so what would a good race to go with if anyone could give me some advice please.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 AM
Orc

I’m on blue server too btw
Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Planar Protector

Barbs: not quite as large so they fit in places easier without using shrink, good race so they aren't kill on sight all over the place, decent wisdom

Ogres: huge str and stam. immune to bash stunning you from the front, which is really nice to not get your spells interrupted like other shamans. but they're enormous and evil

Trolls: high str and stam, faster regeneration (especially noticable at 51+). but they're very large and evil

Iksar: best wisdom, faster regeneration, innate AC bonus. but they're extra super duper evil and they can't wear some armor choices because of their scales

You really can't go wrong picking your race based on what they look like. Which one of these dudes do you like watching run around and cast spells the most? Cause that's what you're going to be staring at forever. They also have different appearances when they cast their bear form spell that they get at higher end from Velious.

You literally can't pick a bad shaman race. It's just up to you what mix of appearance and racial perks you prefer.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Sarnak

Regen is super helpful up until 60 when you get Torpor, at which point it doesn't really matter. But it does help you level and have less downtime.

Faction can be fixed for most places, fairly easily.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

The min-maxers will squeal but I’ve lamented not making a barb over my troll constantly. I love the look but being huge is a pain in the ass.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:07 PM
Orc

Yeah I might g iksar for the regen and being small to fit in places. I would like being a ogre or troll just because of needing shrink to fit in places like small dungeons.

Thanks everyone for your input!!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

The one thing you might consider is the iksar is the only race that can’t use Jaundice Bone armor. Not a big deal for most pieces but the bracer does make the 45-55’ish grind much easier. Especially since epic’s are notoriously hard to get.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Man, you get bear form, can cast shrink, make shrink pots, JBB is so nice, go troll/ogre, honestly Ogre is the best if you plan on going to 60 and getting gear/torp.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggorath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what race to go with. I see a lot of Barb shamans out in the world and hear that ogres are good for the high stamina they start with and trolls/iksars for the regen passive.

Being new to it im not going to have a lot of gear and access to certain items so what would a good race to go with if anyone could give me some advice please.
Whatever you picked, you picked right. There is no bad choice for a Shaman. This is one of the most over-thought subjects on the forum so if you want more discussion search out any of the dozens of threads on this subject.

Danth
Old 11-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Time of leveling aside, Min/max is as follows for a lvl 60 sham with all spells:

1: Ogre
2: Troll
3: Iksar
4: Barbarian
Closed Thread