Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Aviak

I find the concept odd that we must consume other living creatures or living plants to keep ourselves alive. I guess God thought this was the best way to sustain an existence. I personally would have chosen some other way of making up the rules.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkona [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I find the concept odd that we must consume other living creatures or living plants to keep ourselves alive. I guess God thought this was the best way to sustain an existence. I personally would have chosen some other way of making up the rules.
The irony is the fruit (apple) was a metaphor for meat (things with feelings) that god didn't want us to eat, but the devil tricked us all.

Now we are a world of sinners walk'n around pointing the finger at "scientists".
Old 10-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they are advanced enough to reach us from another solar system, I don't think they would be inclined to eat or enslave us. They very likely would be unable to eat us anyway, ya know? That doesn't mean they wouldn't kill us to harvest resources from the earth. Maybe they eat dirt and rocks and stuff and would see us just as pests contaminating their mineral mills. They would have to be very smart and as a result have less regard for us. I do t think they would exterminate us entirely though, because as a super smart creature they would be very interested in us and curiosity would ensure they'd at least keep a few of us in a glass jar or maybe a few square miles of planet that the carve out for us. I do t think it would be unreasonable to assume they might transplant us to a new planet either (assuming the earth is their food and thy need to clean it up) where they could continue to observe us. They may or may not be long lived but would undoubtedly want to do lots of experiments on us to and would probably poke and prod us in all sorts of ways and fill us full of aphrodisiacs so that we produce lots and lots of babies for them to experiment on. They'd of course quickly sequence and catalogue our genome and be able to create random versions of us, but would keep us around in quarantine to study our behaviors and work to refine genes and produce better people which they could redolent on earth or maybe some other planet it if they instead eat all of it. Those people would retain the legacy from those of us who were kept as study pets, but would be disease resistant, smarter, stronger and of course free of nastiness like toe thumbs or turkey necks since only the best specimens would have been retained for study. Those people would then go on to make lots of babies as their and rebuild civilization erecting massive structures in reference to the 'gods' who created them. ***edit*** I suppose it is equally plausible that they might utilize us as incubators, depositing their young within our bodies for nourishment until they mature. There are all sorts of ways this might be done, but I suspect it would be done on a genetic level such that even with our current technology (which would be gone of course post-reintroduction) we'd not be able to readily identify their foreign nature. As highly advanced creatures, they would have awareness and knowledge of dimensions behind which only manifest to us as thoughts or ideas, which would be a direct representation of the creatures as they grow feeding on our extraplanar energies and attributes of which we are aware. The relationship would not necessarily be parasitic though. It could be symbiotic with them essentially functioning as our drive our ambitions or will, so we would seek and maybe even attain greatness thanks to their influence. In fact our identities would be inteinsically tied to their existence and without them we might not have any more awareness than a head of lettuce or a cow, which are really not very different at all except one smells and moves more than the other and requires more resources to grow. So I guess overall I am on the fence about aliens. They'd have to be advanced to get here and would regard is as primitive, but I don't know for certain what they'd do with us. I would not be happy to be ripped from my current life or have my planet eaten, but if it means the creation of a better more advanced, more perfect human, the. I guess it is ok. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Had to delete and repost because took too long w/ edit.
i think in all likelihood we would be more valuable to interstellar species alive and untouched merely to study our progress, but how many of us would be taken and what those might suffer depends on whether their sexual drive was such that they found us amusing. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

the entire "species" could be an outcast Mormon style tribe of the mother civilization run by a sick sex pervert who climbed the top of the cult hierarchy, achieved immortality thru technology and took control of everything computerized/robotic simply to maintain harems of sentient beings to torture! We could all be rendered immortal or immensely long lived and raped for eternity!

Better hope aliens aren't too similar to humans.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Sarnak

It is a bit of strawman argument. Or a false dichotomy? There are, sadly, a lot of people who feed their children (and themselves) a poor diet, including vegans, but that doesn't mean the child's life was in danger because of a vegan diet. If you have a vegan diet wherein you don't consume vitamin B12 then you're not going to be very healthy and you will suffer. Eventually you'll suffer irreparable damage and die.

If you look on sites that advocate a vegan diet that actually know what they're talking about there will be a section dedicated to vitamin B12. Nuts and fruits will never take care of your nutritional needs.

So, was this child's life brought in danger because of a vegan diet or because of a very bad vegan diet? The article clearly agrees with the latter. The woman seems crazy and crazy is not synonymous with or limited to veganism.

In a "jungle" setting, sure, we need animal products. But you can live very healthily with a vegan diet in the modern world. Veganism isn't a delusion. The woman's particular ideas, are. Water and sunshine? ....
Old 10-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Banned

And animals are supposed to eat us
Old 10-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

My issue is that rather than accepting responsibility for one's nature and be thankful of the sacrifices necessary to sustain it, people adopt these sorts of practices as a method of placating conscience. If everyone adopted vegan diets and enforced them upon all other creatures, animal populations would explode and become unsustainable in very short order.

As food supplies for prey animals dwindled, they would begin to starve and suffer. Predator populations would follow suit as their food supplies (prey animals) diminished.

The alternative of course would be selective culling to maintain sustainable populations, but if nobody eats meat then the animals' deaths are less purposeful because their essence is discarded. Being eaten sustains a predator's life while sparing fellow prey lives from starvation due to over population. It is dual purposed.

One day we might possess the technology to be able to manage the population of small species in labs, denying natural reproduction by sterilizing all animals, but until that day, vegans may only practice veganism because others eat animals.

That is the issue that I have with it. Yes, killing animals is sad and I couldn't kill most, unless maybe they attacked me, but would still have a hard time. But that doesn't make denying ones role in an system that's developed over millions of years any more virtuous. We are supposed to eat animals.

It is a delusion in the sense that one is doing something virtuous because if everyone were equally 'virtuous' all would suffer catastrophe.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Fire Giant

meat in itself is not needed, it's more how you get the proteins that you do need for a healthy diet.

Once you find a way to get proteins without eating meat (eating soja and derivatives, seitan, etc) it's not that different. I have a vegetarian friend (ie no meat or fish, but still consume eggs and milk) who didn't eat any meat since 14 years and he's perfectly healthy.

thing is i dont think you can give tofu through a baby bottle lol. She should have breastfed him and that's it. dumbass.

GREEN: Ineluki - Human Shadow Knight of Inoruuk

lulz
Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

everyone is an expert when it comes to nutrition and politics lul.

if eating animals is so "natural" then why do humans have to use all sorts of tools to kill, cook, and flavor it to make it palatable? do you see any other species that does this? do you naturally salivate at the thought of ripping through your live prey's flesh, enjoying chewing through the fur and blood and all? because any other species that was designed for killing has those types of natural responses. none of you meat eaters would be willing to be faced with that reality. in fact, someone who did this would be sent to a mental institution.

this topic also triggers you because you know it's wrong, which is why you're so defensive and feel the need to make this thread and talk down to someone about their life choices which are different from your own. i'm confident with my own choice to be a vegetarian, so i don't have this insecurity where i need to convince other people i'm right so i'm okay about it.

what about all the american moms that feed their kids these mcdonalds diets who become blimps? which is worse? and who are you to decide how a mother is to raise her child. you need to just mind your own business.
Zurui - 58 Gnome Enchanter of Bertoxxulous
Kyura - 56 High Elf Cleric of Tunare
Blue Server - Retired
Twitch
Last edited by Vaye; 10-07-2016 at 03:53 PM..
Old 10-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Sarnak

This is a slippery slope into getting people to accept a 1984 style regulation of our children. "You fed your kid fruit and nuts, hand them over to the government because you're unfit as a parent in our opinion, and we make more money selling you supplements and baby food". That doesn't mean a diet of fruits and nuts is healthy for an infant, but what about all the parents who feed their kids fast food thats literally killing them? I also didn't see any science in that article to prove that the rash was related. And its ironic that they suggest soy while soy is terrible for you because its GMO and causes estrogen problems.

Best diet is fruit, nuts, fish, meat, eggs; a variety of REAL food with no additives. Perhaps thats paleo. And breastmilk for infants. And you may not need meat to be healthy but you'd need another source of zinc like oysters.
Last edited by Saludeen; 10-07-2016 at 03:59 PM..
Old 10-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

I heard a rumor that soylent green... was...people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4
Closed Thread