Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 02-05-2024, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Default How to play Enchanter like the pros

I need to understand how to play Enchanter solo. Below are my steps. I sincerely don't know how anyone plays one in a dungeon without a healer.

1. Charm mob, send it in to attack and kill another mob.
2. Charm breaks inevitably so I have 2 mobs running at me.
3. While both are pounding on me, I root one, back off, and recharm the other. Sometimes have to repeat steps 1-3 multiple times.
4. Finally kill a mob with my charmed pet, low on mana at this point, sit to med. Charm breaks, mob comes at me and I die or zone.
5. /quit, come here to gripe cause I suck at playing an enchanter. What am I missing?
Old 02-05-2024, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

You can root the enemy mob off the bat, while your charmed mob is fighting it, aka before charm breaks; and re-root if it wears off. This cuts the number of mobs beating on you by 50%!
Last edited by Videri; 02-05-2024 at 02:43 PM..
Old 02-05-2024, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

When they start beating on you, the first spell to cast isn’t Root, or even Mez. It’s the Color Flux line of spells. They stun everything in a small area around you. Each one has a different duration and cast time. Choose your favorite!
After that, you can cast a mez or root.

Between your color stun and your mez, of course, you would use your GCD to eliminate the delay between spells. Man, who wrote that article?
Last edited by Videri; 02-05-2024 at 02:44 PM..
Old 02-05-2024, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

How’s your cha? Charisma increases the likelihood that mez will land, and decreases the likelihood that charm will break. It also reduces the chance that it failed Calm/Pacify will aggro the mob. You eventually want 255 self-buffed (which means 205 unbuffed, since enchanters get a +50 cha buff at higher levels).

If I’ve missed anything or said anything incorrect, hopefully the enchanter community will correct my mistakes.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks, I'll give your tips a try to see if I'm more successful. Yeah, I need more charisma for sure.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

yeah the basic formula is charm something, ideally get tash on it to reduce its magic resistance, root the mob youre fighting and when charm breaks you use a color line stun to buy yourself time to recharm. Id recommend using your best one always pretty much until you get skew, then you can stop their. If you stun and use your gcd clicky to reset, youll be able to recharm before the stun fades. color flux isnt long enough so dont attempt that. Also keep in mind that not all stuns have the same radius. Flux is extremely short.
HOWEVER, id recommend you get used to running 2 stuns. Even if its just shift and flux. The first time you get resisted on stun youll wish you had two up. Flux is enough time to either mez or root so you can survive.

I dont want to write a novel but another thing id recommend is to organize your spell book and set up key binds to those pages so you can get the spells you need without having to click thru your book like a chimp. If you set this up you can literally stun something, mem the spell you need before the mobs becomes unstunned and cast it.
the line is /book #. Also you can pick up a spell from your book and "cast" the spell into an empty slot on your bar. Stuff like this will make you fast so you can get more actions into a shorter window.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 02-05-2024, 06:35 PM
Aviak

Here's how I survive charm breaks against hard mobs.

Stun first (color line), hit alliance wand to reset GCD, AE mez (the spell called mezmerization with the green spell gem), now both the mob and your pet are mezzed. Use this opportunity to re-charm your pet. Mez always lasts the same amount of time, so your pet will become re-petted before the mez on the mob you're killing wears off. Just tell him to attack. You'll probably also have enough time to mem blur (blanket of forgetfulness) the mob you're killing, so he won't have any aggro bias toward you when his mez wears off (this also prevents you from getting summoned by summoning mobs after a charm break. They may regen a chunk of hp during this period but it's usually not a big deal).

It sounds wayyyyy more complicated than it is. The best lesson you can learn as an enchanter is that you are gonna die a lot in general, because you get some of the most powerful abilities in the game. But once you learn the specific details of a camp, it's usually dead simple. Your worst enemy is bad luck and freaking out if things go sideways. Embrace the dying, it means you're learning the class.
Last edited by Ciderpress; 02-05-2024 at 06:52 PM..
Old 02-05-2024, 06:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's how I survive charm breaks against hard mobs.

Stun first (color line), hit alliance wand to reset GCD, AE mez (the spell called mezmerization with the green spell gem), now both the mob and your pet are mezzed. Use this opportunity to re-charm your pet. Mez always lasts the same amount of time, so your pet will become re-petted before the mez on the mob you're killing wears off. Just tell him to attack. You'll probably also have enough time to mem blur (blanket of forgetfulness) the mob you're killing, so he won't have any aggro bias toward you when his mez wears off (this also prevents you from getting summoned by summoning mobs after a charm break. They may regen a chunk of hp during this period but it's usually not a big deal).

It sounds wayyyyy more complicated than it is. The best lesson you can learn as an enchanter is that you are gonna die a lot in general, because you get some of the most powerful abilities in the game. But once you learn the specific details of a camp, it's usually dead simple. Your worst enemy is bad luck and freaking out if things go sideways. Embrace the dying, it means you're learning the class.
AE mez is great,if he's over lvl 55 and immune. The amount of times I mezzed myself with this spell while leveling..need to make sure it's going to land while the mobs are out of range if your 55 or less.
It's a very useful tool in groups to, you can target the puller and mez the whole bunch as they come in.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:01 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AE mez is great,if he's over lvl 55 and immune. The amount of times I mezzed myself with this spell while leveling..need to make sure it's going to land while the mobs are out of range if your 55 or less.
It's a very useful tool in groups to, you can target the puller and mez the whole bunch as they come in.
Really? I don't think I've ever gotten mezzed by it, I always seem to resist it and my resists are not high at all. I figured it had some kind of negative MR check if you're the caster or something (like how snare always wears off super fast if you cast it on yourself as a ranger or druid).

Although I dont think I really used it until early 50s, maybe I got lucky and then after 55 I was immune and didn't notice.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:10 PM
Sarnak

Tecmos did a YouTube series solo leveling his enchanter in dungeons, I recommend tossing one of those on in the background while you level in the same dungeon. Lots of good tips in those.